New G'N'R live stuff!!! Axl on his A-game!

FrostByte

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OMG icon_lol.gif I think he choked on Slash and Izzys balls at the :53 second mark

A couple people/comments are saying he had strep throat, not sure how true that is idn_smilie.gif

Anyway I actually feel bad for singers who lose their voice over time, i really do -- That sucks to not be able to do your craft/love/job/art thats like laughing at a guitar player with bad hands, (not cool) but AXl is a tough guy to feel bad, for he really is

redface.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ***1776*** View Post
OMG icon_lol.gif I think he choked on Slash and Izzys balls at the :53 second mark

A couple people/comments are saying he had strep throat, not sure how true that is idn_smilie.gif

Anyway I actually feel bad for singers who lose their voice over time, i really do -- That sucks to not be able to do your craft/love/job/art thats like laughing at a guitar player with bad hands, (not cool) but AXl is a tough guy to feel bad, for he really is

redface.gif
I don't feel a bit bade for a singer who continues to drink and smoke and wakes up one day and realizes they just can't do it anymore. It's like feeling sorry for a guitar player that enjoys setting his fingers on fire and he's melted them down to nubs and can no longer play. If you love to sing and perform that much then protect your most important asset.

Besides, Axl is c u n t.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by skinsscalper View Post
I don't feel a bit bade for a singer who continues to drink and smoke and wakes up one day and realizes they just can't do it anymore. It's like feeling sorry for a guitar player that enjoys setting his fingers on fire and he's melted them down to nubs and can no longer play. If you love to sing and perform that much then protect your most important asset.

Besides, Axl is c u n t.
I don't think it's necessarily that, more that his "angry granny" style of singing seems to be done in a manner rather stressful on his vocal bits. Not sure how he achieves his grit, but for pitch at least he appears to massively pull up rather than switching registers, which gives that closed off nasally sound. I think his grit is just vocal fry, which isn't really anything bad. But maybe it's not, in which case that certainly might have helped it along.

Sure, drinking and particularly smoking no doubt wouldn't help.

But like with Geoff Tate. Yeah the smoking probably didn't help, but I'd probably attribute more of the vocal decline to the way he sings. Looks like he's got massive strain going on in the throat when he sings higher up. They've both got pretty deep, open sounding voices down in the chest range. Once they start pulling up to get high notes, that goes away completely. I can't imagine they're pulling chest up that high though. That would be {censored}ing mental. freak.gif

Whether or not Axl is a cuntycunt is another matter entirely though. redface.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by DeadNight Warrior View Post
I don't think it's necessarily that, more that his "angry granny" style of singing seems to be done in a manner rather stressful on his vocal bits. Not sure how he achieves his grit, but for pitch at least he appears to massively pull up rather than switching registers, which gives that closed off nasally sound. I think his grit is just vocal fry, which isn't really anything bad. But maybe it's not, in which case that certainly might have helped it along.

Sure, drinking and particularly smoking no doubt wouldn't help.

But like with Geoff Tate. Yeah the smoking probably didn't help, but I'd probably attribute more of the vocal decline to the way he sings. Looks like he's got massive strain going on in the throat when he sings higher up. They've both got pretty deep, open sounding voices down in the chest range. Once they start pulling up to get high notes, that goes away completely. I can't imagine they're pulling chest up that high though. That would be {censored}ing mental. freak.gif

Whether or not Axl is a cuntycunt is another matter entirely though. redface.gif
It's true that his vocal style doesn't help. Steven Tyler's been doing a similar style for years. Ditto for Bryan Johnson. I agree with you though that you can't constantly strain your voice like that and expect to be in it for the long haul. Honestly, the singer that amazes me is Blackie Lawless. Sure he's fat and old and WAAAAY past his prime, but when he does perform that {censored}er still brings it (vocally) after all these years. His style is VERY tough to cop.

• Members

I don't think the problem is that he is straining. Rather, that he is trying to hold back because of the acoustics. It sounds like they have not rehearsed this song as an acoustic tune. It's like they just picked up the acoustic and played the exact same way they do with the electrics. Since Axl doesn't rehearse as a policy, I'm sure he was quite blindsided when trying to sing in full voice to that arrangement. It sounds as if he is in his falsetto range.

Archived