OT: So my other OCD hobby, gunsmithing... (Epic 1911 .45 build pix)

madryan

• Members

I think I started another thread a while back showing the various things I've been doing to this pistol...

Picked it up from Jesse (Ceriakote guy) today. Gotta decide what I want to do for sights.

I'm really happy with the color (Graphite Black) This is going to be a carry gun and it'll get banged around so I wanted a nice long wearing finish that looked great and the Ceriakote should fit the bill nicely. The company who developed Ceriakote is local and the guy who coated this used to be their head coater when they did jobs in house.

Here's the crappy cellphone pix... I'll shoot some better ones later with my DSLR

IMG_0815_zpsacbb1db0.jpg

IMG_0814_zps58a12cd6.jpg

IMG_0812_zpsb81249e8.jpg

IMG_0811_zps34ff40a8.jpg

IMG_0810_zps9ad2017f.jpg

IMG_0809_zps6412ca3d.jpg

IMG_0808_zps3a2dc39f.jpg

More in a sec...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74 View Post
wait.. did you build this?

If so, that's some serious skill. Damn.
It started life as a Springfield TRP. Nice enough gun but nothing "Special" if you get my meaning. Solid shooter.

I scrapped all the fire control stuff, as well as the Ergo stuff I didn't like such as the Beavertail safety, and the thumb safety. Ditched the magwell and got a standard mainspring housing. I also fitted an oversized Firingpin stop because the stock ones are always too small and that lets the extractor clock (rotate in its slot) While I was at it I fitted a spare extractor. I fitted a complete Cylinder & Slide ignition kit (Hammer, sear, disconnector)

I then did a full "Meltdown" style bevel job on the gun. Trued up all the flats, lines, etc. Knocked all the radii off nice and even to an appropriate radius. I also undercut the trigger guard and re-cut the radius under there so it all blends nicely and contoured the butt of the grip and the mainspring housing so it's all round and nice. Finally I cut the magwell so it's beveled nicely.

The TRP is still a semi-custom gun so the barrel/bushing fit were fine and the Slide/frame fit were fine as well.

It looked like this stock...

TRP.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74 View Post
wait.. did you build this?

If so, that's some serious skill. Damn.
It started life as a Springfield TRP. Nice enough gun but nothing "Special" if you get my meaning. Solid shooter.

I scrapped all the fire control stuff, as well as the Ergo stuff I didn't like such as the Beavertail safety, and the thumb safety. Ditched the magwell and got a standard mainspring housing. I also fitted an oversized Firingpin stop because the stock ones are always too small and that lets the extractor clock (rotate in its slot) While I was at it I fitted a spare extractor. I fitted a complete Cylinder & Slide ignition kit (Hammer, sear, disconnector)

I then did a full "Meltdown" style bevel job on the gun. Trued up all the flats, lines, etc. Knocked all the radii off nice and even to an appropriate radius. I also undercut the trigger guard and re-cut the radius under there so it all blends nicely and contoured the butt of the grip and the mainspring housing so it's all round and nice. Finally I cut the magwell so it's beveled nicely.

The TRP is still a semi-custom gun so the barrel/bushing fit were fine and the Slide/frame fit were fine as well.

It looked like this stock...

TRP.jpg

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by marshallnoise

View Post

Nice work. And it appears as though you have tiny hands. Amirite?

lol... that's a full size 1911... if my hands look small next to a pistol that's roughly 7 or 8 inches long then so be it...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by marshallnoise

View Post

Nice work. And it appears as though you have tiny hands. Amirite?

lol... that's a full size 1911... if my hands look small next to a pistol that's roughly 7 or 8 inches long then so be it...

Archived