Have a date with the soldering iron tonight... Wilde Pickup Content

colejustesen

• Members

I just had my set of Wilde L280 pickups delivered! I am going to wire them up with an L600 4.8H into my Yamaha Pacifica 512 thumb.gif

I am super stoked, as I know what the L280s sound like and will do in this guitar, but I have yet to try the L600. I can't wait to hear them!!!

While I am at it, I am going to replace all the electronics... I have a new CRL 5 way switch, Bourns pots, and a Switchcraft input jack Totally_jammin_out.gif

They are going into this bad boy...

20121025_134154.jpg

The L600 is black with a maroon housing [this is going to look sick with this guitar] and the L280s are white [helps keep the theme of Pacifica models].

Here is a picture of what the L600 looks like...

l600s.jpg

Now I just have to decide on how I want to wire it up... I am looking at the HSS setup at Guitarelectronics.com and Seymour Duncan. I think the one from Guitarelectronics.com is the one I am thinking of doing, what say you guys?

I am super stoked!!! Wilde pickups are so amazing!

Cole

• Members

I got these installed the other day, and they sound so awesome! I highly recommend the L280s to anyone using a Strat!!! The L600 is really articulate, I think even more so than the L90s or the L500s I had. Granted the L600 uses Alnico III magnet rods instead of Alnico V like the L90 and L500... Also, the L600 is 4.8H where the L90 and L500 were higher values.

That being said the L600 still has plenty of punch. I would say that it has similar output to the custom Dimarzio in my Pacifica 912 [which is supposed be similar to a PAF Pro]. This is probably brightest variant of the Wilde humbuckers that I have tried yet, but isn't shrill. At the moment I still think the L90 might be my favorite still, but time will only tell. I installed all new electronic components and went with a 500K volume pot and a 250K tone pot with a 0.047 uF capacitor and it is still fairly bright. I think that a 250K volume might have been sufficient, but I like the way it sounds now...

Here are a couple of pictures with them installed...

20121218_142501.jpg
20121218_142452.jpg

The only other thing that I want to do with this particular guitar is put on a new bridge... I am looking at the Super-Vee BladeRunner for this guy... Once that is installed I am pretty sure this guitar will be finished, except I might install a new nut idn_smilie.gif

Cole

• Members

I've been wondering about those 600s'. I'm going to dive into my Dads' 65 Jazzmaster this winter and I have had my eyes on those. It'll be those or the non-humbucker ones.

Also, I'm waiting for payday so I can order a pair of L90s' for my Les Paul. Bast humbucker eva.

How do the 600s' compare to the L90s'?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by paul88lx View Post
I've been wondering about those 600s'. I'm going to dive into my Dads' 65 Jazzmaster this winter and I have had my eyes on those. It'll be those or the non-humbucker ones.

Also, I'm waiting for payday so I can order a pair of L90s' for my Les Paul. Bast humbucker eva.

How do the 600s' compare to the L90s'?
I really like the L600. If I were to rank the L90, L500, and L600; I would rate them as such L90 > L600 > L500...

The L90 has a fuller sound than the L600 and overall seems to have a frequency that seems more vintage inspired. The L90 is the warmest sounding humbucker of the three that I have tried. I actually would like to hear the L600 in a higher henry version so that I can compare them directly. The L600 I have is a 4.8H so it has more highs than the L90 and L500 that I used in the bridge positions. The L600 matches very well with the Strat sound for a HSS setup, being slightly bright but with some punch. They sound slightly hollow in the mids... If I were to rate the levels it would somewhere around this: Bass 5, Mids 4, Treble 6.5

The L600 has a slight ping in the top end right now, but that is probably because I don't have them adequately adjusted in height. As you know, Wilde pickups are super sensitive to height adjustment, and the L600 follows suit. It probably doesn't help that I have stainless steel saddles and a steel tremolo block. That probably is contributing some to the extra ping I am hearing. The guitar I posted above is in E flat, and I think the L600 sounds great with it... I bet it would sound great with lower tunings too... I also think that in a HH setup that the 6.2H/3.6H combo would be amazing!

I highly recommend you check out the L600 stuff!

Cole

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by -=Pennywise=- View Post
i heard bill lawrence doesn't even like 250K pots and recommends a 500K as a starting point for everything he makes, including the single coils.
That could be true, but all his diagrams [for anything using single coils - SSS, HSS] show to use 250K pots with .022 uF capacitors... I liked the way the L90s and L500s sounded with 500K pots, but I was also using different wood than alder in the guitars that had them. They were definitely bright, but not so bright that it caused ear fatigue. He is big on clear, articulate tones that you would use for jazz. He has written about inductance and cable capacitance and how they affect the clarity and brightness of the pickups. He recommends a specific capacitance for guitar cables [he also sells a cable that he recommends] to get the most out of his pickups. He is truly an engineer in designing pickups, and sometimes the stuff he has written is beyond my comprehension; so I take it for what it is worth, and trust that he knows what he is talking about.

As far as my experiences go, I wouldn't use 500K pots with his single coils... They are bright with 250K pots, I imagine your ears would get raped with 500K or higher!

Cole

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Hi !

I just took my first round with a L90 6H in the bridge of a nice Epi worn brown G400 SG.

Previously I had a L500XL which is waiting for a L500R.

In the neck there is a sweet Tonerider al2 classic (7,4k) it is big and wet and warm. The L90 is a little to hot in this company, but also the amount of topend was very surprising. I guess with a L90 in the neck, eq'ing will be an easier task, but I did expect a fatter midrange. So I read about the L600's curious about it's more traditional tone (in comparison), I was almost ready to try a 4,8/3,6 set, to get a more traditional humbucker tone, with the extra topend definition that BL's deliver. But you say the L600 are even toppier than the L90's - BTW how many henries were yours?

Now using the tonecontrol does tame the beast somewhat, even halfway down is not big of a change, and you can do something similar to the 500XL, but in this guitar I want to keep a friendlier tone, and am looking for something that keeps my cleans from breaking up. With higain sounds the AL2 can't keep up with the Wildes, the attack definition is not the same, but that's ok, the cleans are so sweet! 

It is nice to read about your setup. I have hss setup with 2 L200s and and alnico2 humb. Which is sweet. I favor HS-2's but the L200's are like a vintage singlecoil married to a lace gold and they produce a very professional sound. 

Archived