Deluxe Reverb Reissue Hum

sillypuddy

• Members

I bought a new Deluxe Reverb Reissue last year, it sounds great but has a little low sounding hum, not real bad but noticeable. More than I think it should, more than my other amps. I think it is coming from the power tranny, on stanby you can hear it just a little and thats seems normal, but as the amp warms after a few minutes of playing you can hear it more. As far as I can tell it isn't a tube, I tried replacing the tubes with other tubes, ones I know are good to see if it would go away or get worse, no change. FYI, I think the tubes that came with this amp are relabled JJ's with Groove Tube logo's.  I switched the rectifier tube with a Weber SS replacement, Still no change. 

Ideas?

• Members

Are you in Europe?

If so then part of the problem might be the tremolo controller. Rather than using an old-fashioned optocoupler, the european version of the amp uses a complicated digital controller to comply with regulations for cadmium levels.

This circuit adds a lot of noise. Removing it and putting an optocoupler in its place cures the problem.

Here's what should be in the circuit:

opto

And here's what Fender used instead for the european market:

Digital

• Members

Thanks for the reply. No that isn't it. It has the optocoupler in it. And the first thing I did was to fix the tremolo, install a .001 mf cap to reduce the tick. That worked good, but I may go to a .002 to smooth it out a little more. I've owned allot of Fender amps in the last 50 years, this is my first reissue, most were CBS and a few were originals. None had this hum.

Archived