Good 2x12 cab that emulates an old Marshall 4x12 with Greenbacks?

MKaneJeeves

• Members

I'm getting a vintage modded 1976 Marshall Super Lead head soon that was used by George Lynch and want a good 2x12 cab that will do it justice.  I don't want have to lug a 4x12 around but want an affordable 2x12 cab that will retain that old warm crunch when I crank the gain up to the max.  Most cabs to me sound good at low volumes but when you crank everything up the highs get piercing and annoying plus you lose nuances of the tone.  I want that nice break-up quality when cranked that has that singing quality on top as well.  Basically the sound of those old 30 watt greenbacks that Van Halen and Warren DeMartini used.  What are some good, affordable 2x12 cab out there that will do this head justice.  I want to be able to get killer, 80's tone ala Ratt, Dokken, Scorpions, VH when I go out and play live.

• Members

Old greenbacks DO NOT sound like the re-issues. 4x12s DO NOT sound like 2x12s. You could get a simalar sound but you must compensate a bit. Get a solid closed back empty cab. Get a amp stand so that its off the floor. Get some Celestion g12H30s . These have a lot of the character of a greenback with a little more bottom end which will make the cab seem fuller.There are other good speakers (like Warehouse) but remember you will need a bit more bottom to compensate. Good luck

• Members

If using a 2x12 you want to make sure you divide the power of the amp up equally. IOW you plan on diming your Marshall (100w) through a 2x12 with 30w speakers?  

I suggest a 4x12. Really they don't take up much more of a footprint than a 2x12 and an amp stand. Either that or run a pair of 2x12's. You will need that to use 30w drivers, unless you choose speakers that are about 100w each. A pair of 30h's on that head cranked won't last long.

• Members

Yikes -I completely didnt notice he had a NMV. Yea a couple of G12h30s would be toast. You kind of painted yourself into a box unless you get an attenuater. Celestion has higher watt speakers they say sound like greenies but they really dont. Agree that a 4x12 with english greenies would be great.

• Members

EVH used 20 watt celestions on the early albums and DeMartini uses 25 watt Greens with SLO Soldanos.

If you want "the" sound you got to do the deal like everybody else. Don't be a {censored} and get an old 4x12 of G12M 25 watt celestions.

Archived