No announcement yet.

6.4 magnitude quake half way between Los Angeles and Area 51

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6.4 magnitude quake half way between Los Angeles and Area 51

rolled for a looong time. chandeliers are swinging, pool has surf...who needs fireworks?
    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

"Gimme a Pigfoot and a Bottle of Beer"

Comment

I'm guessing you've never been through a 6+ quake, then?

This one rolled for close to a minute...and we are about 100 miles away from the epicenter!

That's a lot more than a 'big noise', amigo...that's some potential devastation!
      Fortunately, I know where the quake happened [at the south end of China Lake NAWC and Test Facility [been there a number of times in the 80s], and we just drove near there last week coming back from Vegas...mostly desert, Death Valley is nearby, not a lot of structures or people.
      Last edited by daddymack; 07-04-2019, 12:30 PM.
      "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

Originally posted by daddymack View Post
        I'm guessing you've never been through a 6+ quake, then?
        No. The news reports do sound serious.
        The Landers quake in 1992 shook water out of my pool in the Phoenix area.
        Last edited by williegoat; 07-04-2019, 12:41 PM.
        "Gimme a Pigfoot and a Bottle of Beer"

Comment

Originally posted by williegoat View Post

No. The news reports do sound serious.
          The Landers quake in 1992 shook water out of my pool in the Phoenix area.
          My consulting partner's office in Palm Desert had the furniture rearranged by the Landers quake!

I walked barefoot through broken glass in the dark after the Northridge quake in '94...we are overdue for a big@$$ muvahugga here in the LA area...
          Last edited by daddymack; 07-04-2019, 06:53 PM.

Comment

jumpin’ at the woodside! you feelin’ alright?
            shame on california! trumping that silly parade in DC... the nerve of some tectonic plates!!
            Originally posted by isaac42;n32240445

Voltan is correct.

Comment

biggest quake in twenty years!
              Originally posted by isaac42;n32240445

Voltan is correct.

Comment

Well, I'll be damned if they didn't one up it with a 7.1 today! I totally missed it, driving on the freeway when it hit...MommaMack called me from home...

Comment

I saw that last night on TV. Hopefully, nobody was hurt or killed. Looks like some fires and damage.

Earthquakes in CA are expected. Its something you probably don't think about or want to think about on a daily basis, but it's par for the course.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

No, we accept them as part of everyday life, like wildfires. Similar to being being struck by lightning, a quake can happen at anytime, but probably won't...today.

Yes, fortunately no deaths in Ridgecrest, in no small part due to the area [Mojave Desert, close to Death Valley] and the fact there are few multi-story buildings there [except at China Lake NAWC], which was what caused several deaths here in the '94 Northridge quake

I'm willing to bet this will be a billion $+ catastrophe, and Trump will not offer FEMA funds...because it is a Blue State. He will blame the state and the Democrats and illegal immigrants for the quake and the aftermath.

The fires are currently being chalked up to gas leaks...investigations ongoing.

I say this often that people look at the earthquake devastation and say 'gee, you must be crazy to live there'; yet, if you total the devastation from twenty years of hurricanes and tornadoes and floods, this is a drop of water in a swimming pool by comparison.

These also are considered 'shallow' slip-strike quakes, where 2 fault lines 'rub' each other as they move in opposite directions, so there will be noticeable surface damage to roads, and even a scar on the desert floor was visible...and that always scares the people who are ignorant of what quakes really can do...because it looks like those bad movies from the 30s-60s that always showed the earth opening up and swallowing people.

The USGS has said for years that a mega 8+ quake will eventually hit California along the San Andreas Fault [which is the line of demarcation between the Pacific Plate and Western North American Plate]. The recent Searle Valley quakes [there were pre-shocks happening for days before the 6.4 hit] are off the SAF, and the USGS admits they knew little about the fault that moved or even how far it reaches.

Comment

In 1989 (I think) there was a good sized Earthquake in Cali. One of my guitar playing friends had a sweet job mixing sound on movies. It freaked him out really bad. He sat in lounge chair in the backyard for a couple of days drinking wine and trying to figure out his next move. He bailed on a promising career and moved back to the Kalamazoo area.
                      https://media.giphy.com/media/FefeclRDem7II/giphy.gif

I has a new signiture gif bitches

Comment

I think I felt it ... I slipped on the last step going down the stairs that same day and I think it was because of the quake.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                          X