Gibson Going to "collaborate"

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Going to "collaborate"

https://www.musicradar.com/news/gibs...in-copycat-row

Does this mean that Rondo can now offer Agile AL series guitars with a longer. sharper horn?

Also, is it true that musicians on YouTube have gotten Gibson copyright hassles by letting the Gibson logo show on their guitars and in response have taped them over?
    NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

No, it means that they need to stop making noise and actually do something...and 'collaborate' still has a bit of a nasty sense to it...

I wonder if they are going after Peerless over the headstock issue?

Gibson did more damage to their reputation during the original 'lawsuit' era than accomplishing anything positive for their brand, and this will likely end up the same.

I'm surprised Ibanez hasn't sued The Loar over their headstock shape...it is all just so trivial and petty...make better guitars, dammit, and leave the lawyers out of it!
    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

Originally posted by daddymack View Post
      ...it is all just so trivial and petty...make better guitars, dammit, and leave the lawyers out of it!
      Make better guitars?! But that would take actual effort.
      Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
      Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
      Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
      Member of the Schecter Society
      Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

yeah, well, there is that little wrinkle...
        "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

The best fakes are coming from China right now, complete with a Gibson logo on the headstock and Gibson U.S.A. printed on the case. Gibson needs to go after these people. Nobody's going to confuse an Agile with a Gibson.
          https://media.giphy.com/media/FefeclRDem7II/giphy.gif

I has a new signiture gif bitches

Comment

The problem with going after the Chinese fakes is they will be playing whak-a-mole forever, for one thing because the Chinese government does not recognize IP laws or trademarks from foreign manufacturers, and another that if you succeeded in closing a fakes factory, the owner just opens a new one on the same site under a different name*. To succeed, Gibson would have to try to shut off the transfer to US buyers, meaning mainly AliBaba, and I don't think the Chinese government would allow that either.

*I did a lot of business with Chinese manufacturers for over a decade, as well as remotely managing our own factory in Shenzen, plus a brief fling with guitar importing and they have a very different concept of how business is done...they are still Communists, even if we don't call them 'Red' China anymore...and they have varying degrees of ideas about quality, cost controls, and making knock-off products [guitars, fx pedals, purses,shoes, phones, sex toys...you name it] .
            Last edited by daddymack; 07-08-2019, 10:23 AM.

Comment

It sounds to me like they have been putting considerable effort into trying to stem the tide of fakes from China...

Over the past eight months, the team have successfully dealt with over 4,500 counterfeit and ‘knock-off’ guitars coming from overseas that were clearly designed to confuse the consumer into thinking they were buying a real Gibson. Since November (2018), there have been dozens of counterfeit website ‘take-downs,’ also designed to confuse the guitarist into thinking they were entering a legitimate, official website. On a weekly basis, Gibson receives multiple queries and concerns from guitarists mislead into purchasing what they thought was a genuine Gibson that turned out to be counterfeit. Unfortunately, this is a very real dynamic that brands, like Gibson and other iconic brands, need to deal with on a regular basis. The main area of brand protection on these types of issues is with trademark ownership, understanding, and assertion. Hence our recent attempts to communicate our position, which was predominantly focused on these rogue overseas players in the market. If left unchecked, these situations can lead to continued consumer confusion and can ultimately affect the integrity of an entire industry.

https://www.harmonycentral.com/news/...-collaboration

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
              - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
              - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
              - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

'over 4500'...like I said...they are playing whak-a-mole...and I'm willing to bet that Dean, Fender, Guild, Gretsch, Charvel, Taylor, et. alii, are all fighting the same uphill battle against the lawless Chinese, hiding behind their government's inscrutable 'can't touch this' methodology regarding international trade.

Comment

Working...
                X