No announcement yet.

Interesting Article on Lloyd Loar

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Article on Lloyd Loar

The name that sparked a new guitar company, was tied to Gibson in the early to mid 1920s, and a renowned musician, inventor and lecturer. From Vintage Guitar:
    https://www.vintageguitar.com/33029/...eid=97bf7ac3e8
    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Thanks for posting that. I read about him a while back because I have a Loar mando.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mando1000.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	32536718
    "Gimme a Pigfoot and a Bottle of Beer"

Comment

Does it have the Virzi Tone Producer?
      "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

Originally posted by daddymack View Post
        Does it have the Virzi Tone Producer?
        I don't think the modern Loar brand mandolins use those like the old Lloyd Loar era Gibson F-5 mandolins did.

The bluegrass folks generally don't care for the mellower sound of the VTP's and a lot of them have been removed from vintage F-5's.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
        - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
        - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
        - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by williegoat View Post
          Thanks for posting that. I read about him a while back because I have a Loar mando.

Name:	mando1000.jpg
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	32536718
          What model Epi is that?

Comment

Originally posted by AlamoJoe View Post

What model Epi is that?
            That is the ES-335 Pro, identifiable by the early Gibson style long pickguard.

Comment

That is the ES-335 Pro, identifiable by the early Gibson style long pickguard.
              I have a ES-339 Pro. A bit smaller body. Same coil splitting goodies. Pretty much prefer the pup's full on though. The Chinese are getting the hang of this guitar building stuff pretty well. I've been pretty happy with mine.

Comment

Originally posted by AlamoJoe View Post

I have a ES-339 Pro. A bit smaller body. Same coil splitting goodies. Pretty much prefer the pup's full on though. The Chinese are getting the hang of this guitar building stuff pretty well. I've been pretty happy with mine.
                I am very pleased with my 335. Like you, I very rarely split the pickups. If I want the single coil sound, I have a Squier Tele.

In my opinion, the Epi 335 is a lot closer to the feel of a Gibson than the Squier Tele is to a Fender. I have a Squier Jazz bass that is a pretty nice guitar, though.

As a hobbyist, I just can't justify spending thousands on Gibsons and Fenders.
                Last edited by williegoat; 06-23-2019, 10:48 PM.

Comment

I am very pleased with my 335. Like you, I very rarely split the pickups. If I want the single coil sound, I have a Squier Tele.

In my opinion, the Epi 335 is a lot closer to the feel of a Gibson than the Squier Tele is to a Fender. I have a Squier Jazz bass that is a pretty nice guitar, though.

I know what you mean. I'm just a hobbyist as well.

Comment

*bolded sentence*

That's an interesting observance, about the Squier vs Fender Teles. Care to expound? Sincerely curious about your take on that.

I, too, am little more than a hobbyist, but it's a hobby I've pursued since I was 12, and I'm just shy of 61 now. Recently disposed of a Squier Tele that, with a few mods, I felt was very near the equal of at least a MIM Fender.

I'd be interested to hear how you feel they were different.

BTW, I also have an Epi Sheraton (335-style) that I totally reworked with new pickups, electronics, bridge/tailpiece, tuners, nut, fret dress/polish, just about everything but the original neck and body---and I also think it's a fine instrument. Maybe even a bit moreso than my 60s Gibson ES325!

I not only resent the allegation, I resent the alligator!

Comment

Originally posted by Danocoustic View Post

That's an interesting observance, about the Squier vs Fender Teles. Care to expound? Sincerely curious about your take on that.
                      It's nothing that can't be fixed and it is certainly playable, but here is a list:
                      It could use some fret work. They are just a little rough with a couple of high spots.
                      The tuners have a little play.
                      The pickups are not as clear as I had hoped.
                      The pots feel a little scratchy.
                      Nothing is really bad, just less than perfect. You get what you pay for.
                      On the other hand, my Squier 5-string Jazz bass is a pleasure. It feels as nice as either of my Epiphones.

Name:	tele(600).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	32541400

Name:	jazzbass(400).jpg
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	32541399
                      Attached Files

Comment

It's nothing that can't be fixed and it is certainly playable, but here is a list:
                        It could use some fret work. They are just a little rough with a couple of high spots.
                        The tuners have a little play.
                        The pickups are not as clear as I had hoped.
                        The pots feel a little scratchy.
                        Nothing is really bad, just less than perfect. You get what you pay for.
                        On the other hand, my Squier 5-string Jazz bass is a pleasure. It feels as nice as either of my Epiphones.

Name:	tele(600).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	32541400

Name:	jazzbass(400).jpg
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	32541399
                        Yeah, sure, that makes sense.

I have this bad habit of buying inexpensive guitars and parts here, there and everywhere. Then I go to work on them. Fix what isn't right, replace what's broken or what sucks.

For instance, the Squier Tele I mentioned earlier had probably the same pickups you have in yours (they could be twins down to the finish)---didn't care for them, put in a set of Texas Tele Specials---woke that guitar right UP! Also replaced the pots, cap, switch and jack, used cloth push-back wire just cuz it's cool. Frets were okay, tuners too.

I'll tell you what I did with that guitar in a few days. There's a reason for my withholding that---bear with me.

By the way, a pleasure to make your acquaintance.
                        I not only resent the allegation, I resent the alligator!

Comment

I bought the Tele because it makes sounds that the 335 can't. Here is the sound of the two Squires, together:

Comment

Working...
                          X