Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are you doing musically these days? Any new gear?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are you doing musically these days? Any new gear?

So, here's what I'm doing musically.

I just won a Beatbuddy and footswitch on ebay (it's not here yet).
    I got my Jam Man out and recorded some riffs. One might work into a song but I'm lyrically uninspired these days.
    I'm moving my home recording gear out to my man cave shed where I can work without the phone ringing or someone coming to the door.
    My daughter and I are producing a concert on Sat. evening by singer-songwriter Rita Hosking and her Dobro playing hubby. Unfortunately, my neck has chosen this time to freeze up!
    Weekend after next my playing buddy Jim and I will put up the sun/windscreens on the town outdoor stage and start playing on Saturday afternoons.
    Reno – Rita Hosking is from northern California and has played before live audiences across the US and Europe and says she finds pleasure in rural performances, so she and her musical partner and husband Sean Feder will be right at home on May 17 and 18 for a pair of gigs in northern Nevada. …
    Last edited by Smilin' Bob; 05-14-2019, 03:29 PM.
    NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

This Saturday I am playing [with Blues Channel] a charity event in Burbank called 'Bubbles and Blues'...I have to go there today to do the logistics walk through...then on 6/1 we [Blues Channel] are playing a 'dinner gig' in Pasadena.
    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

Got an outdoor gig coming up next month. It's on the loading dock at the old railroad depot. Trains every 30 minutes. I've done it off and on for years, though. You just kind of get used to it.
      Last edited by SwampMusic; 05-15-2019, 01:29 PM.

Comment

We used to do picnics in San Pedro, twice a year some years, and we were set up 150 feet [48m] from the LAPD shooting range...hard to focus with gunshots ringing out constantly...we played pretty loud there...
        "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

Originally posted by Smilin' Bob View Post
          So, here's what I'm doing musically.

I just won a Beatbuddy and footswitch on ebay (it's not here yet).
          I got my Jam Man out and recorded some riffs. One might work into a song but I'm lyrically uninspired these days.
          I'm moving my home recording gear out to my man cave shed where I can work without the phone ringing or someone coming to the door.
          My daughter and I are producing a concert on Sat. evening by singer-songwriter Rita Hosking and her Dobro playing hubby. Unfortunately, my neck has chosen this time to freeze up!
          Weekend after next my playing buddy Jim and I will put up the sun/windscreens on the town outdoor stage and start playing on Saturday afternoons.
          Congrats on the Beatbuddy. Let us know how you like it. The praise band used synthesized percussion for a while when we didn't have a drummer but I never really got into it. And best wishes on the producing gig. Neck mojo sent.
          Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
          Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
          Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
          Member of the Schecter Society
          Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Thanks for the mojo DeepEnd! I think DM praised the Beat Buddy at one time. I have a zoom drum machine I like to practice with but I have to control it by hand. Looking forward to foot controlled beats! Hope you bubble gig goes well, DM and your RR gig Swampy!
            Last edited by Smilin' Bob; 05-15-2019, 06:12 PM.
            NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

Comment

Once you get the hang of it, the BeatBuddy is so much fun...the learning curve is a challenge at first...but if you have the extra foot switch, it makes it a much more accessible tool [I ordered mine on the original gofundme campaign].

Unlike a real drummer, it won't forget to fix the strap on the kick pedal, won't drop its cymbals down a flight of stairs the night of a gig, won't show up drunk [at least, no drunker than you are ], won't kick over the highhat stand in a fit of pique, won't hit on your SigOth, won't show up late, won't ask repeatedly what song is next, won't whine about needing gas money to get to rehearsal, won't forget which venue you were gigging at, won't disappear between sets, won't throw broken drum sticks into the audience ... these are just some of the things I've endured over the past 5 decades with live drummers...

Comment

Originally posted by daddymack View Post
                Once you get the hang of it, the BeatBuddy is so much fun...the learning curve is a challenge at first...but if you have the extra foot switch, it makes it a much more accessible tool [I ordered mine on the original gofundme campaign].

Unlike a real drummer, it won't forget to fix the strap on the kick pedal, won't drop its cymbals down a flight of stairs the night of a gig, won't show up drunk [at least, no drunker than you are ], won't kick over the highhat stand in a fit of pique, won't hit on your SigOth, won't show up late, won't ask repeatedly what song is next, won't whine about needing gas money to get to rehearsal, won't forget which venue you were gigging at, won't disappear between sets, won't throw broken drum sticks into the audience ... these are just some of the things I've endured over the past 5 decades with live drummers...
                you have obviously worked with some real hacks...not “real drummers”. please refrain from calling those types “drummers” as they would definitely not be considered a “real drummer” by real musician standards... yeah... jokes i get it... and i also get the drift... its demeaning to real musicians that put the time in, pay the dues, and walk the talk... electronic drummers are just that... poor replacements for a real artist...but please feel free to continue promoting mediocrity in music, it makes my job so much easier...
                Last edited by Voltan; 05-19-2019, 08:46 AM.
                Originally posted by isaac42;n32240445

Voltan is correct.

Comment

I've worked with a number of excellent drummers over the past 50 years as well...but there are always the hordes of mediocre drummers, and they tragically outnumber the great ones. The Beat Buddy is a tool, like any other, which allows a solo or duo to pretend they have a drummer, but not a cold programmed one, but one that will do things on the fly, which was the attraction for me. I found though, using the BB, a looper and a vocal harmonizer turned my solo guitarist-vocalist act in to a tap dancing act, and so I have stripped the solo act down to the basics again...and ordered some 10EEE tap shoes from Amazon

Comment

there has to be someone to fit in with the likewise numerous hoards of cookie cutter, wanna be guitarists, bassists, vocalists... ie, musicians... again youve singled out the “numerous wanna be muso drummers” without pause... its not just drummers, dude...its rampant across the board. i could really give two fecal drops as im proficient on several instruments but as an admin, that sentiment could sure cause some latent ill will among peeps that “only play drums”... but hey, what tf do i know?

Voltan is correct.

Comment

I don't like drums. It's not that I disdain the rumblings of the species in its more primal state. It was fine when beating out warnings, or doing the Great Mushroom ceremonial dance, or giving cadence to the required human sacrifice, or what have you. It's simply a case of not needing it anymore. Percussion, generally speaking, can be replaced by proper instruments given the imagination and writing ability to do so.
                      - The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule it. - H.L. Mencken

Citizens and Residents Of The United States and U.S Persons - USA PATRIOT Act Notice: You are hereby notified that under the provisions of the USA PATRIOT Act, you may be placed under electronic surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site by intelligence or law enforcement agencies at any time or for any purpose for which they may deem fit, without your knowledge or permission and without the order or supervision of any court of law. As the provisions of the Act strictly prohibit, with fines and imprisonment, the managers of this site from disclosing such surveillance should it become known to us, you should assume that you are under surveillance while viewing this or any other similar web site, electronic mail or any other form of electronic communication related thereto.

Comment

To me, there is something primal about percussion, particularly Latin or Afro-Cuban rhythms. I love the sound of Congas and am slowly learning how to play them.
                        "Gimme a Pigfoot and a Bottle of Beer"

Comment

Originally posted by Idunno View Post
                          I don't like drums. It's not that I disdain the rumblings of the species in its more primal state. It was fine when beating out warnings, or doing the Great Mushroom ceremonial dance, or giving cadence to the required human sacrifice, or what have you. It's simply a case of not needing it anymore. Percussion, generally speaking, can be replaced by proper instruments given the imagination and writing ability to do so.
                          well, there’s definitely no accounting for taste... boring...

Voltan is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by Voltan View Post
                            there has to be someone to fit in with the likewise numerous hoards of cookie cutter, wanna be guitarists, bassists, vocalists... ie, musicians... again youve singled out the “numerous wanna be muso drummers” without pause... its not just drummers, dude...its rampant across the board. i could really give two fecal drops as im proficient on several instruments but as an admin, that sentiment could sure cause some latent ill will among peeps that “only play drums”... but hey, what tf do i know?
                            yes but we aren't talking about all the mediocre musicians in the world...I was comparing the use of the Beat Buddy to dealing with run of the mill drummers. Now don't start me on the Trio...which puts a mediocre drummer and a mindnumbing bassist in a small metal box and charges hundreds of dollars and... just does not deliver...

In any endeavor there are going to be various levels of accomplishment, be it music, basketball, iceskating, target shooting, painting, sculpture, tap dancing or gong banging

The trick is to rise above all the mediocrity and to excel...some never get there, few do...but the journey is the whole point, the end result is what you make of it.
                            Last edited by daddymack; 05-19-2019, 08:09 PM.

Comment

I play one a month in a praise band in choich, its more acoustic and vocal oriented with a gal who has a spectacular voice ... other than that I jam at home on my unplugged electric while I watch Jeopardy and try to answer the questions right but I saved the best thing for last!!!! So here is my story:

Once upon a time a man got rehired back at his old job because they knew what a good worker he was... but the company was cheap this time and hired him as a contract worker. So the man worked every minute and the minutes turned to hours and the hours to days and the days to weeks and the weeks to moths ... and then suddenly he was all out of work and nobody had anything else for him to do... not a thing at all. So the minutes seemed like hours and it was grueling to get through the day, so to pass the time he started looking at ebay to see if there was anything he forgot to buy over there. The good news is: THERE WAS!!! YES!!! it was a Vox AC15 heritage in a mahogany cabinet. The guy shipped it and packed it better than any amp that has ever been packed, and it was a good thing because the thing weighs 50# and is pretty big for a 1x12. It turned out to be the best sounding map on the Plant! The juicy tones from this map will show up on a recording coming to a internet poast near YOU!

... and other than the Nikon D500, nothing, no, nothing at all...

Comment

Working...
                              X