Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

So camera guys, what are you shooting these days?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So camera guys, what are you shooting these days?

They are saying that the DSLR's day are over because mirrorless is the new trend, but dang it, I have a bazillion good lenses for the DSLR and I'm not going to quit anytime soon. In fact, I'm eyeballing a new Nikon D500. So who are 'they' and why are they doing this to us?
    Currently own a D750 which is pretty sweet in it's own right.

What cha running?? and phoast some pics.

Ok well Here is something I took with my new Samchung galazy work phone of my bosses bench. He manages 14 people and doesn't have a clue what anyone is doing.

Ok, and then here are some of our top secret internal plans for our new product launch. They are for sale for $5 if anyone wants them.

Thank you, I'll have some real pictures to show later on, but these darn smart phones aren't too bad in a pinch.

Comment

LG G6 Duo. But my daughter has a Canon EOS or something like that. And an iPhone and a Snapchat account.
      Originally Posted by SwampMusic

Never underestimate the perversity of inanimate objects. Their sole purpose is to confound, confuse and generally frustrate the living.

Comment

The smart phone camera is better than I deserve, so I don't even bother with a dedicated camera these days.

Comment

Having owned a bunch of quality film cameras [Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Leica, Hasselblad] in the ancient times, I opted not to go down the DSLR rabbit hole...but, I was given a Sony [stolen along with a Minolta video camera], and recently inherited a Canon something or other. The phone actually has a decent camera, why bother?

BTW, Tweedie...if your boss' desk looks like that...quit!
          "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

Originally posted by daddymack View Post
            Having owned a bunch of quality film cameras [Nikon, Canon, Minolta, Leica, Hasselblad] in the ancient times, I opted not to go down the DSLR rabbit hole...but, I was given a Sony [stolen along with a Minolta video camera], and recently inherited a Canon something or other. The phone actually has a decent camera, why bother?

BTW, Tweedie...if your boss' desk looks like that...quit!
            Yeah, well they may quit for me, I contracted back because that's the way they do with old geezers like me.

The smart phones are pretty good, but if you compare photos side by side with someone who knows how to take a good photo, there isn't any comparison.

I was looking at the Sony mirrorless A series because they are so darn good at video, but ended up going with another Nikon (D500) just because they handle so well and take spectacular photos. I just ordered it this morning, so looking forward to that one (plus all my lenses are Nikkor so that makes a difference too).

I think that's going to be my main hobby when I retire again, which might be in June ...

Comment

I was able to sell my Canon 6d, 24-105, and 70-200 f2.8. So now I currently have a Sony A7III which is a full frame and shoots at 10fps along with 4k video. Along with the Sony 24-105, 70-200 GM and 2x convertor.
              Last edited by xStonr; 05-14-2019, 07:13 AM.
              Death leaves a heartache no one can heal
              Love leaves a memory no one can steal

Comment

I use the camera in my iPhone and iPad a lot. I’ve got a couple of film SLR’s in storage, and a Canon EOS 1000D with the stock EF-S 18-55mm kit lens, plus an EF 70-300mm zoom. I use the Canon quite a bit too. Nothing fancy or high-end, but it meets my needs.

For astrophotography, I have a ZWO ASI 294 MC, which has a 4/3 format color CMOS sensor. I built a thermoelectric cooler for it to keep noise down on longer exposures, and for glass, I have two main telescopes that I use (a 8” f/5.9 1200mm Newtonian for going deep, and a 72mm f/5.8 420mm apochromatic refractor for wide angle views) along with a variety of filters, Barlow’s and focal reducers.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
                - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
                - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Pics?

First from the Newtonian... first, Barnard 33 - the Horsehead nebula in Orion...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Horsehead Nebula Stack_50frames_44s copy.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	32519018

M17 - the Swan / Omega / Lobster nebula in Sagittarius.

Name:	M17 all three filters Stack_15frames_14s.png
Views:	3
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	32519019

M22 - a globular cluster - also in Sagittarius.

Name:	M22 Stack_20frames_18s.png
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	32519020

M27 - the Dumbbell nebula - a planetary nebula in Vulpecula.

Name:	M27  Stack_75frames_67s.png
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	32519021

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
                  - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

And from the 72mm Apo...

The North American nebula in Cygnus - this was taken with a H-a (Hydrogen Alpha) filter.

Name:	North American Nebula  Stack_10frames_80s copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	461.1 KB
ID:	32519028

The Double Cluster in Perseus... two open clusters in close proximity.

Name:	Double Cluster  Stack_11frames_44s copy.jpg
Size:	500.9 KB
ID:	32519029

And M31 (along with its satellite galaxies M32 and M110) - a galaxy trio in Andromeda.

Name:	M31 M32 and M110 Stack_11frames_44s copy.jpg
Size:	617.9 KB
ID:	32519030

- George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

M27 - the Dumbbell nebula - a planetary nebula in Vulpecula.
                      which is where many of the denizens of the HCPP come from, apparently...

"We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

I use a Nikon D60.

Name:	GreenBeetle(800).jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	32519312

Name:	fiero-whitespar(800).jpg
Size:	199.9 KB
ID:	32519313

Name:	jazzbasspickguard(800).jpg
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	32519314
                        "Gimme a Pigfoot and a Bottle of Beer"

Comment

I wanted something more compact than a big DSLR but good! So for quite some time I have been using a Panasonic Lumix FZ-1000 with a 25-400mm zoom. The lens, with Leica glass, is permanently attached. It is a fine camera, very sharp (I print to 13 x 19 inch on my Canon Pro-100 with no problems). The auto focus is great, but I can manually focus and zoom if I need to. It has both a swiveling screen and excellent digital viewfinder. It also shoots video but I have to use an external mic because the internal motors make noise that prints on sound track.

Rats, looks like I don't have any photos of less than 2 MB to share here.
                          NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

Comment

Originally posted by Smilin' Bob View Post
                            I wanted something more compact than a big DSLR but good! So for quite some time I have been using a Panasonic Lumix FZ-1000 with a 25-400mm zoom. The lens, with Leica glass, is permanently attached. It is a fine camera, very sharp (I print to 13 x 19 inch on my Canon Pro-100 with no problems). The auto focus is great, but I can manually focus and zoom if I need to. It has both a swiveling screen and excellent digital viewfinder. It also shoots video but I have to use an external mic because the internal motors make noise that prints on sound track.

Rats, looks like I don't have any photos of less than 2 MB to share here.
                            have to down size

there are free converters

Comment

Thanks Keetee! It's small enough now but the site doesn't like the dimensions. Tell you what - if you guys want to see some of my photos, PM me and I'll steer you to my Face Book page. There are some of my "art" photos there
                              NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

Comment

Working...
                              X