No announcement yet.

RIP Jim Dunlop

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RIP Jim Dunlop

This says most of it, but I want add a thank you Jim for the Tortex!

https://reverb.com/news/guitar-gear-...uitar-has-died
    NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

Oh man! He had a massive impact on music. RIP.

Comment

Sorry to hear it. I used his nylon strap capos for years until Shubb came along and I still use his nylon picks. I still have one of his Picker's Pal capos. Not a bad design, all in all:

Click image for larger version

Name:	PPal.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	32471922
      Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
      Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
      Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
      Member of the Schecter Society
      Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

Jim 'Scotty' Dunlop had an eye and an ear for musician's needs. When I discovered tortex...purple was all I used for decades [still do]. When I discovered his straplocks...up until three years ago, all my electric guitars got them [I have moved to locking straps now on new acquisitions, but I still have the DSL on most, and I even have salvaged parts from repair jobs and 'abandoned' straps to allow me to keep mine in top order. I have a Dunlop glass slide in my arsenal, a capo and a CryBaby...RIP, MR. D.
        "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

Originally posted by DeepEnd View Post
          Sorry to hear it. I used his nylon strap capos for years until Shubb came along and I still use his nylon picks. I still have one of his Picker's Pal capos. Not a bad design, all in all:

Click image for larger version

Name:	PPal.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	32471922
          I had one of those Picker’s Pal capos but never really liked it that much. OTOH, the “lever action” nylon strap capos were, IMHO, the best capos on the market for years.

I still have a slightly modded GCB-95 Crybaby way on my pedalboard, and .66 - 1.0mm USA Nylon and red, yellow, green and purple Tortex picks have been my main picks of choice for decades...

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."
          - George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."
          - Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."
          - Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Crybaby, two or three Dunlop slides (including one coricidin bottle repro) and I have for years alternated between green and yellow tortex. Yellow is easier to find in the drier.

RIP my man, RIP.
            Originally Posted by SwampMusic

Never underestimate the perversity of inanimate objects. Their sole purpose is to confound, confuse and generally frustrate the living.

Comment

Working...
            X