• Show
Clear All

• Smilin' Bob
    started a topic Going to NAMM?

Going to NAMM?

DM, are you going?

• daddymack
    commented on 's reply
    I have no idea what the Weatherby model number was...I will try to remember to ask my attorney...at $500 per hour

• FlyingBloodyFrogBiscuit
    replied
    Originally posted by daddymack View Post
    My attorney [and shooting buddy] has a Weatherby Mark V 6.5 Creedmore...he let me try it a couple years back...good lord, you can just put the round where you saw it should go...I asked him how much one costs...he says, 'oh, decked out like that, $2500...'
    a tad pricey for something I'd pull out twice a year...I could get a Lester for that!
    Remington, Mossberg and Savage do make some 6.5 Creedmore 'deer hunter' models well under a grand; I saw one recently for ~$300, but they are likely nowhere remotely near the quality of the Weatherby...that Weatherby was a target loving marvel.
    Apparently the Remington 783 in 6.5 Creedmore is a tack driver, and can be had with scope for less than $400. I had no idea Weatherby made one. Which model is it?
    I have been looking for a new hunting rifle, after using and wearing out >270, 30-06, and the latest, a Marlin 30-30. My neighbor, who is a range officer at Quantico (and a retired Marine Scout Sniper) wants to build me either a .300 blackout or a 6.5 Grendel in an AR-15, but he seems to think I need a suppressed SBR for some reason.

Leave a comment:

• Danocoustic
    replied
    Originally posted by Smilin' Bob View Post
    Dano, is your rifle 7.62 NATO?
    Yes, both of them.

Leave a comment:

• Smilin' Bob
    replied
    Dano, is your rifle 7.62 NATO?

Leave a comment:

• daddymack
    replied
    My attorney [and shooting buddy] has a Weatherby Mark V 6.5 Creedmore...he let me try it a couple years back...good lord, you can just put the round where you saw it should go...I asked him how much one costs...he says, 'oh, decked out like that, $2500...'
    a tad pricey for something I'd pull out twice a year...I could get a Lester for that!
    Remington, Mossberg and Savage do make some 6.5 Creedmore 'deer hunter' models well under a grand; I saw one recently for ~$300, but they are likely nowhere remotely near the quality of the Weatherby...that Weatherby was a target loving marvel.

Leave a comment:

• Danocoustic
    replied

Indeed, a fine weapon, the M14. Chrome-lined barrel so it never rusted! Lighter than an M1. Easy to point, not too much recoil. It could be made to fire full auto, but it wanted to climb too much, so when the Army went from training people to aim at targets to massed saturated suppressive fire, the M14 wasn't what they wanted, hence the poodleshootin' M16, etc.

I have always said that if I hit the lottery one of the first toys I'd get would be a match grade M14. Better win the lotto soon, or I'll be too old to shoot the damned thing.
    I have two. They're both Springfield Armory M1As, but for all "intensive purposes", they're M14s.

One is pretty much a rack-grade early 'Nam issue battle rifle. Walnut furniture, standard everything. Spfld receiver, mixed contractor parts. It shoots 1.5MOA @ 400 yards. Damned good rifle.

The other is a National Match rifle set up for competing at Camp Perry. Whiz bang everything. With the right ammo and a steady DanO, this thing has produced .75MOA groups @ 600 yards. What more could one ask?

I'd love to build one in a chassis in 6.5Creedmore. But I don't see that happening.

Leave a comment:

• Cornholio Farquarth III
    replied
    Originally posted by Danocoustic View Post
    'Nam ended when I was 17 so I didn't have to go.
    Same here. The Prez saved my life on that one.

Leave a comment:

• Smilin' Bob
    replied
    Originally posted by Danocoustic View Post

M14? Pre-poodleshooter days?

Indeed, a fine weapon, the M14. Chrome-lined barrel so it never rusted! Lighter than an M1. Easy to point, not too much recoil. It could be made to fire full auto, but it wanted to climb too much, so when the Army went from training people to aim at targets to massed saturated suppressive fire, the M14 wasn't what they wanted, hence the poodleshootin' M16, etc.

I have always said that if I hit the lottery one of the first toys I'd get would be a match grade M14. Better win the lotto soon, or I'll be too old to shoot the damned thing.

Leave a comment:

• Danocoustic
    replied
    I was a Cold Warrior in Germany before Viet Nam. Thank God.
    M14? Pre-poodleshooter days?

Had an uncle (RIP) who caught the tail end of Korea, then Germany for a few years.

Leave a comment:

• Smilin' Bob
    replied
    I was a Cold Warrior in Germany before Viet Nam. Thank God.

Leave a comment:

• daddymack
    replied
    I was old enough...being 4f after the last draft lottery [#38] kept me here...

Leave a comment:

• Danocoustic
    replied
    'Nam ended when I was 17 so I didn't have to go.

Leave a comment:

• daddymack
    replied
    so do I, or I will be out of a job... [albeit one that pays nothing financially]

Leave a comment:

• Smilin' Bob
    replied
    Oh........right!...................dang.

The Bankruptcy, I forgot. Took out a bunch'a loans and issued bonds, with due dates on everything at the same time. However, I see on the inner web they are emerging from bankruptcy now. The CEO who got them in the debt mess is fired and losing most of his equity.

Gibson needs to have some new ideas about surviving - maybe they should start to make a lot of pointy guitars to sell to wanna-be shredders! Or maybe get into electric steel pans!

Really, I wish the best to Gibson and hope they and continue to make great guitars!
    Last edited by Smilin' Bob; 01-11-2019, 11:56 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X