No announcement yet.

Gibson in Trouble?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson in Trouble?

Seems that they are facing some financial problems - not in loosing sales, but over some bond debt.

https://www.spin.com/2018/02/gibson-...uptcy-reports/
    NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

Perhaps they could concentrate on making instruments. Then, they might not have to "monetize their assets" in an effort to restructure bond debt.

Then again, what do I know about corporate goals?

Comment

Never owned a Gibson but I'd miss them if anything ever happened to them.
      Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
      Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
      Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
      Member of the Schecter Society
      Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

they went on an irrational feeding frenzy over the past decade or so, and now they are suffering for it. Deep discussions have been held over in Anderton's SSS...they let him go, btw...but they still have us, for now...once they figure out they can't get much out of HC, we will likely be on the block again.
        2011 they bought Stanton which owned KRK and my former client, Cerwin-Vega.
        They bought Cakewalk/SONAR from Roland and in 2013 TEAC [and got Tascam] ...Onkyo was taken over in July of 2017...what were they thinking?
        They wanted a larger footprint in the Audio world, but they apparently went too far too fast.
        They also own Slingerland, Dobro, Kramer, Steinberger, Tobias, Wurlitzer [through Baldwin]...
        "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

I wonder who would be interested in buying HC though? Would anyone? I wonder what kind of revenue stream it actually produces?

Comment

OVER DIVERSIFICATION

Comment

• Grant Harding
              Grant Harding commented
              Editing a comment
              Otherwise known as greedy shareholders.

• SwampMusic
              SwampMusic commented
              Editing a comment
              ^That.

• daddymack
              daddymack commented
              Editing a comment
              well, they are privately held, no common stock...the way forward for them to raise capital to keep afloat will be to go public, if they can get by the SEC.

It wasn't really over-diversifying as much as overspending and not having a plan to monetize them rapidly.

Here's a good overview...
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apQ9SO7uF60
            "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

I just wish they would put out quality instruments that didn't cost the same as a used car or motorcycle. Both Gibson and Fender are pricing young musicians out of the market, and even us veterans have hard time justifying 2 or 3k for a guitar when the gigs are one or two weekends a month for a hundred bucks a night per guy. It's the same reason I can't justify 22k for a Harley that would sit in my garage at least six months a year.

Comment

But thankfully there are tons of less expensive, adequately built, workingman's instruments on the market these days.
                I love my Gibbies, but when I go on a gig, I am more likely to take my Epi Alley Kat or Fender Modern Player Tele.

Will I miss Gibson if they ultimately go under?
                Sure, I own 4 of their guitars [Melody Maker, SG, LP, ES135LE]...but what will happen is the 'used' market will undergo the madness.
                Worse than that, Heritage guitars, who were making great 'Gibson-esque' guitars in the old Kalamazoo factory are now under new management and let go a number of their luthiers recently...they will undoubtedly cease to make unique, hand-built, one-off guitars.

Fender somehow managed to stay afloat during their feeding frenzy period [Guild, Gretsch, Charvel, etc.], so maybe they will take Gibson over?

Comment

• AJ6stringsting
                  AJ6stringsting commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Fender also owns one my favorite guitar company, Jackson !!!!

gonna a be a run up price for a Gibson now...?

Comment

I am play my most comfortable with a stratocastra

Comment

I like Gibson guitars.

Me also like a Fender's, Rckenbackers, Gretsch, Martin's. I gotz other manufactures stuff too,

I am really kind to my instruments an, but take out what I need for the tones I want.

I'm a lover of classic rock sounds.

My main electric bar axes were a Tele and Strat, but it changes.

I'm not the guy that buys a decent suit for a couple of events a year and my funeral.

Here, every day is a Versace or Brooks Brother or suit day.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

Glad I've already bought and paid for all the Gibson guitars I'll ever need ... for now. And all the Indian motorcycles I need ... for now.

I would've said Harleys, but my brother and my buddy Ronnie already have lots of those, and we're playing the Harley and Indian wars.

It was a brisk 23 degrees this morning when I fired up the Scout and rode in to work, but it was worth it ... after I thawed out my hands around a hot cuppa ...

Tomorrow will be 6 degrees warmer so I'll have to blow the dust off the Chief.
                      SG Army - Major Private

My Gear!1!!!11!1!

Piece of wood with wires on it
                      Box with a speaker and some glowy thingies

Comment

• AJ6stringsting
                        AJ6stringsting commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Wow !!!!
                        The way you discribed the cold, flashed me back to my days of living in Pueblo, Colorado !!!!

Originally posted by Axee-o-matic View Post
                      Glad I've already bought and paid for all the Gibson guitars I'll ever need ... for now. And all the Indian motorcycles I need ... for now.

I would've said Harleys, but my brother and my buddy Ronnie already have lots of those, and we're playing the Harley and Indian wars.

It was a brisk 23 degrees this morning when I fired up the Scout and rode in to work, but it was worth it ... after I thawed out my hands around a hot cuppa ...

Tomorrow will be 6 degrees warmer so I'll have to blow the dust off the Chief.

Nice, if you can do it.

Posts as of Jan 10th 2013: 82,617

Comment

Originally posted by daddymack View Post
                        2011 they bought Stanton which owned KRK and my former client, Cerwin-Vega.
                        They bought Cakewalk/SONAR from Roland and in 2013 TEAC [and got Tascam] ...Onkyo was taken over in July of 2017...what were they thinking?
                        They wanted a larger footprint in the Audio world, but they apparently went too far too fast.

What the heck? I wasn't aware of any of this. Why haven't they moved, and quickly, to capitalize on the vinyl resurgence? Jeezus, way to miss the boat, Henry! Onkyo was well-respected in the hi-fi world of the 70s, TEAC and Cerwin-Vega too. Re-issue Onkyo receivers, turn tables and (hipster alert!) stereo front load cassette decks!

It's like buying a vintage Mustang that "just needs a little work" and letting it rust in your back yard for 12 years....

Originally posted by daddymack View Post
                        They also own Slingerland, Dobro, Kramer, Steinberger, Tobias, Wurlitzer [through Baldwin]...
                        I guess we'll never see anything from any of these brands, either. Sad!

Comment

Working...
                        X