Just some ol' guys playin' geetars...

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just some ol' guys playin' geetars...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87_9EcAuuew&t=265s
    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Thanks for that DM. It reminds me once again I'm stuck in a pentatonic/mixolodian/dorian blend for my lead playing.
    How do they do that?
    nelson

Comment

Reboot.
      Any one want to share their approach to improvisational lead? I need to expand. I can play along with most anything but need a change of approach.
      nelson

Comment

• daddymack
        daddymack commented
        Editing a comment
        mine is chord based, but not strictly by playing the changes. Adding notes of the dominant 7 and minor 3 chords [although certainly not an unknown for pentatonic players] adds a bit of tension and 'dirt'.
        I do not play scales as such, nor do I practice them.
        I have a series of patterns that I employ for certain chord types, but the patterns are 'invertible' and can be used in multiple contexts.
        I'm also fond of 'blue' notes.
        BTW, there are tons of tutorials on chicken pickin' on the web, as well as a wealth of videos of guys like those three, Johnny Hiland, Guthrie Trapp...I wish I could do what they do...maybe someday...but here are so many styles to cover.
        My best advice: go back in time, look at the guys who laid the ground work. Django, Christian, Oscar Moore...they invented a vocabulary few outside of jazz and gypsy jazz use anymore, but there is a wealth of stylistic diversity right there too keep you busy.
        Last edited by daddymack; 03-27-2017, 01:05 PM.

Thanks for the advice DM. You mention Oscar Moore. Funny, Chestnuts Roasting has been front and center on my music stand for a month. The chord progression, a jazz guitar on neck pickup, a reverb amp. I'm in heaven.
      Ab/F Ab/Bb Bb/Eb - ahhhh

nelson

Comment

Hey DM, spent some time this afternoon looking up Johnny Hiland. I had never heard of him.
        Holy crap. And lessons...
        I gotta get out more.

nelson

Comment

The intrawebz iz yo' friend!!
          Tutorials abound [not that all of them are correct, but most are in the right ballpark], and I like to spend time a few days a week tormenting myself with jazz and chicken pickin'...to no avail
          I listen to guys like Charlie Christian and Oscar Moore and just can't fathom the process that led them to play like that, especially because they were really inventing the whole jazz guitar idiom that has engendered other greats like Wes, Les, Chet, and so on. I can analyze it, I can copy it, but I just can't internalize it...or retain it, because it just doesn't fall into the little cognitive boxes I developed to teach myself guitar.
          "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

I try to avoid playing "licks" and prefer to hum melodies in my head and make them come out on the guitar. I've played a lot of scales/modes/arpeggios to get to this point, but I try to keep my conscious brain out of the way unless there's a really specific change that I can't feel. I find the result more like music and less like a guitar competition.

Comment

Working...
            X