Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

N[U]AD...again...the GAS attack continues...

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N[U]AD...again...the GAS attack continues...

picked up a Fender Vaporizer in seafoam green today [for $265]...part of their 'Pawn Shop' series, this is the first one I thought was going to be 'out of the box' usable. The amp has less than twenty hours on it [well more now, I gigged it tonight for 4 hours], rated 12w, 2X10...and some odd circuit options...the vaporizer switch, which puts the amp at max gain, bypassing the tone and volume pots so the output transformer is seeing the signal direct from the tubes with no amelioration...and frankly, I have to keep the guitar volume on about 1.5 to be able to use this to play rhythm parts, but wowowowowweee, on single notes, it just killz!
    the other design oddity is the reverb...even if the volume on the amp is all the way at zero, you can still play through the reverb circuit...not much gain, but it is there...never saw that before.
    I ran it tonight with the volume relatively low; there is no master, but this amp breaks up at a nice early spot, and cleans up well from the guitar volume knobs. The other guitarist was using a Divided by 13 combo amp [great, expensive handwired amps] and a small pedal board [about four or five devices plus a wah] and several people [all musicians] came by at the end of the gig to tell me 1) he was too loud, and 2) they liked my tone...don't get me wrong, the other guy is a very sophisticated player, with a custom shop LP to boot, but there I was with my >$500 Epi Alley Kat and >$300 Pawn Shop amp, being told I sounded better...by musicians I know and trust.
    I really got his amp for my Wednesday night gig...the little Epi 10W 1X10 Galaxie is just not quite loud enough [almost...I do the opening set with the house drummer and it is fine] to keep up with some of the lead-footed drummers who come to jam. I am fairly certain the Vaporizer will keep up, especially if I run it in Vaporizer mode..
    The tubes are original...I also ordered some RetroValves to experiment with. These are solidstate analog pre-amp tube replacements [12AX7] that don't get hot and in theory never need to be replaced...and guess what tubes I have replaced more of than any other tube? Yepphir...12AX7...so I'll be reporting back on those shortly. Has anyone else tried these?

"We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Congratulations and Happy New (Used) Amp Day. I always considered the Pawn Shop guitars overpriced, I'm glad to hear the amps are a better deal.
    Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
    Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
    Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
    Member of the Schecter Society
    Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

The only one of the guitars I really liked was the '51, which is a Strat/Tele mash-up with a bridge humbucker...but, you are right, they're way overpriced.
      Actually, I was not at all impressed by the first round of the Pawnshop amps...especially the Excelsior, but I know a lot of people bought them and then modded them...13W with a 15 can be interesting...but, no reverb, and the 'accordian circuit' [a nice allusion to the popularity of the instrument in the late 50s/early 60s, but] just kind of dumb, IMHO...I though it was ugly and lacking features, and of course, the inaccessible control panel [power] was a deal killer for me...but Fender has issued new iterations of it [I see them selling used for more than a Pro Junior, a far better amp, IMHO].
      Then there was the Ramparte, 9W, 1x12, with two channels, one normal[cool]/one 'hot' which really seemed to fail hugely, although I thought it was more interesting than the Excelsior, I'll wager the lack of total power killed it; and then the cute little radio-like Greta...absolutely useless; I doubt they sold out the first month's production of those...I don't know anyone who has one.

True to their name, I would never have bought any of them new in the box...

I totally don't know why they made the Vaporizer circuit uncontrollable...if some one comes up with a control mod for it, I'm all in on that....because wide open, this amp is a beast! It just needs a leash on it...
      Last edited by daddymack; 09-13-2015, 09:39 PM.
      "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

okay...so I tried the RetroValves in the Vape...nope, for some reason, they do not work in that wacky circuit. I did put one RV ['cool' blue] in my Champion 600, and I like the effect there, less brittle when cranked. I will be experimenting with them in the BJs and the Epis later.
        So I took the JJ 12AX7 [in V2] from the Champion and a EH 12AT7 [in V1] I had used for a while in one of the BJs, and popped those into the Vape...and wow...the stock Ruby 12AX7s are crap by comparison. First thing I noticed was the reverb sounded better [it is staged into V1]. The amp has a nice, even earlier 'edge', and the Vaporizer circuit has a much richer harmonic content to it. Now I'm wondering about the speakers...they are 16 ohm [load=8ohm]...and I'm really not wanting to buy new speakers....I have some 8 ohm 10s, but I don't know how sensitive the OT on this amp is, but I'm betting it will not like the resultant 4ohm load.

Comment

So, giged the Vape on Wednesday..one guy openly loved the way it sounded, especially the reverb [he did not hear it before the tube swap]. I ran it on 'the Vape' for me, using the volume on the Southern Belle [tele copy], and it was pretty danged good. Couldn't quite find that perfect point of tube OD vs 'sweet clarity', but it could just have been me, because I think it is there somewhere. Will need more time to experiment...every Wednesday...for the foreseeable future...[more on that later]
          Last edited by daddymack; 09-27-2015, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Well..apparently, the Vape circuit is very sensitive about the grounding on the AC circuit, and the grounding is bad on that stage..only one good ground pair of oulets, and they are dedicated to the house PA map [and 20 Amp]...and one on the far side...PITA...need to rethink this..already complained that the electrical is 'unsafe', fell on deaf ears...so hte new Vox Night train gets teh gig...may have to sell the Vaporizer...dang!

Comment

Sorry to hear you might have to sell the Vaporizer. Still sounds like a cool amp. But if you can't use it there's no point in keeping it.
              Official HCAG “Theory-Challenged Hack”
              Member of the IBANEZ ACOUSTIC ASSASSINS
              Proud Member of The Alvarez Alliance
              Member of the Schecter Society
              Person-2-Person on the Web

Comment

• daddymack
                daddymack commented
                Editing a comment
                I have been toying with taking it to the Monday night gig, but it so danged big, it will make my load in a PITA. Still, it would be interesting to put that and the Night Train 15CL up on stage to hear the contrasts... [ongoing mental debate...] maybe when my right arm is healed up...one of my cousins may be interested in it...I gave him the Galaxie 10 to try out, but he wants reverb...he has some schlocky Fender solid state amp he hates...I told him to put it on eBay...maybe the Vape is the right amp for him....
            Working...
            X