X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Criss Isaak!
    I do not need one!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jack E Martling

Although I'm a huge Neil Young fan I don't think either he or Dylan are anywhere near the top because they will never be mistaken for being able to sing. I'm talking about guys who not only write great songs but sing them without peer.

Hell, none of the top tier songwriters can sing worth a ****************. That's why they are songwriters!

I think Neil's voice works well with his material. I can't imagine anyone else singing "Old Man" or "Helpless".

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Wilson

Hell, none of the top tier songwriters can sing worth a ****************. That's why they are songwriters!

Absolutely untrue. Paul Simon, James Taylor, and Joni Mitchell all sing exceptionally well and at various times in their careers they have all written some wonderful music. The same was true for Paul McCartney when he was much younger.

Comment

McCartney ain't a singer-songwriter, Jim, though I'll agree he does both exceptionally well.

I don't put JT in the top tier. JMO.

JM is great, but I don't find her voice that pleasing in and of itself. She's actually the kind of person I was thinking of when I made the comment.

Paul Simon I'll give you, if only for his earlier work.

When I think Singer-Songwriter I think of guys like John Prine, Guy Clarke, Townes Van Zandt, Steve Earle, you know, those guys who can't sing for ****************.

Comment

Dylan
            Van Morrison

Robert Johnson

Springsteen
            Billy Joel

Comment

When I think Singer-Songwriter I think of guys like John Prine, Guy Clarke, Townes Van Zandt, Steve Earle, you know, those guys who can't sing for ****************.

James McMurtry, Robert Earl Keen, Todd Snider, Lucinda Williams
              RIP Ironmonger

Originally Posted by lawboy

The day you find an Axl Rose song on my iPod will be the day pigs fly and Republicans tell the truth.

Comment

Warren Zevon
                Carol King
                Roger Waters

Comment

Tom Waits
                  Nick Cave

Comment

Originally posted by 335clone

James McMurtry, Robert Earl Keen, Todd Snider, Lucinda Williams

you made my day, clone! that's the 1st time i've seen todd snider mentioned on here by anyone but me. check the sig
                    we're forming a club and letting everyone in.

Comment

McCartney ain't a singer-songwriter, Jim, though I'll agree he does both exceptionally well.

I don't put JT in the top tier. JMO.

JM is great, but I don't find her voice that pleasing in and of itself. She's actually the kind of person I was thinking of when I made the comment.

Paul Simon I'll give you, if only for his earlier work.

One at a time...

Doc, I don't know how old you are, but when it first came out Sweet Baby James was one of the most celerated albums by a song writer of all time. Of course, heroin took it's toll soon after.

I agree with with you're comment about Paul Simon being most notable for his early work, but his early work covered more years than most people's careers, from the first S&G album to at least Still Crazy After All These Years.

Joni Mitchell...let's just call that one a matter of personal taste. Until smoking finally caught up with ger around Hissing Of Summer Lawns, I thought she was a wonderful singer.

McCartney not a singer/songwriter? How not?

Comment

Have you heard that Paul Simon song about sex with a crowbar?

50 Ways to Love Your Lever-------Yuk yuk

Comment

Okay, roughly in reverse order, Paul M., is not really in this genre, because the majority of his work is with a band. He's a singer songwriter now, I guess, but I assumed you were talking about his masterpieces, Yesterday, etc...

Joni, c'mon, I think we can find agreement here. She is a vocal genius, but its quirky, she's like Young, her voice works with her stuff. She can't do covers. She's not your A list vocalist with world class timbre.

Simon, c'mon, I gave you him. But he's the exception. The best singer-songwriters, by and large, can't sing like Paul McCartney. Hell, even Simon can't.

On JT, I'm 46. that was a great album. But he's never come close to matching it, either in singing or songwriting. His output as a songwriter is not in the same class as Simon's, or Joni's.

But anyway, fun stuff to argue.

Comment

John Hiatt
                            John Prine
                            Michael Hedges
                            Bob Dylan
                            Jim Croce
                            James Taylor
                            Jim Morrison

Comment

Joni, c'mon, I think we can find agreement here. She is a vocal genius, but its quirky, she's like Young, her voice works with her stuff. She can't do covers. She's not your A list vocalist with world class timbre.

Can't do covers? Check out Court And Spark for possibly the best version of Twisted ever recorded.

By the way, did any of us actually mention Billy Joel or Stevie Wonder.

Comment

Back in my day, we didn't have any fancy pants Bob Dylans or Peter Gabriels. We had Alfalfa and we liked him!

Nerve

Anyone who is disturbed by the idea of newts in a nightclub is potentially dangerous. - Frank Zappa

Comment

Working...
                                X