Collapse
No announcement yet.

The best singer/songwriter ever!

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is also the problem of defining "greatest singer songwriter". I think Neil Young wins if we are talking about sheer volume of great tunes written and recorded by a solo artist over the years.

And if we push it to great songwriting teams, then its almost certainly Lennon-McCartney followed by Jagger/Richards and EJ/Taupin.

Finally, if we consider who could pull it off live with just a voice and a guitar my vote would go to Cat Stevens or Croce.

Comment

Can I get an Amen?

I gotta go with the Boss, and James Taylor.

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Wilson

Finally, if we consider who could pull it off live with just a voice and a guitar my vote would go to Cat Stevens or Croce.

A fine diagnosis from the good Doctor.

In the early 70's when i first joined the Army, my room Corporal subjected us to a daily diet of 'Tea for the Tillerman' and 'Teaser and the Firecat', (despite this ) I love them to this day as I do Jim Croce's 'Photographs and memories'.

Wonderfully emotive stuff that has stood the test of time for the music alone beyond being merely a relic of nostalgia.

Russ T

Comment

May I also cast a vote for the wonderful Joan Armatrading, who is still on national radio playlists despite her being painfully shy and incredibly free from what the public persona of her as a major artist should be and in a similar vein I believe Tracy Chapman is a very fine and individual artiste.

An honorable mention also goes to Chrissie Hynde, great voice and fine if not outstanding songwriting

Comment

I second Joan Armatrading. Check out the Show Some Emotion album. Incredibly good in every way.

talk is cheap

Not my band's site www.jubie.se

Comment

I tend to think of "the singer / songwriter" of someone seperate from a band. I don't lump Lennon/McCartney, Jagger/Richards, Roth/Van Halen in the same boat as say the Jim Croce's and Cat Stevens of the world

That said, my votes go to:

Neil Diamond # 3
              Elton John # 2
              Paul Simon # 1

In fact I got up early, had some coffee, got out a book and listened to "There Goes Rhymin' Simon" ...

Comment

i don't think they have been mentioned yet:

steve earle
                jackson browne

they don't get a front row seat when it comes to singer/songwriters, but i sure enjoy their work.
                we're forming a club and letting everyone in.

Comment

Pete Seeger
                  Woody
                  ?
                  One...Two...you know what to do

Comment

Bowie.
                    Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

Comment

Oh man,we're on pg 3 of a s/s thread and no-body has mentioned John Hiatt yet..
                      HCGB trooper #187
                      A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer.

Comment

#1 Glenn Kaiser ... no, wait ... they have to sing well too? hmmmm. That should cut out Neil Young too, though. Got to think on this one.

BRAIF!!! You can run, but you can't hide!!!

Call me, you punk! Don't make me threaten to leave you my children and their parrot in my will. And if you don't hurry, I'm leaving you the yorkshire terrorist too!

Comment

Originally posted by Doc Wilson
                          There is also the problem of defining "greatest singer songwriter". I think Neil Young wins if we are talking about sheer volume of great tunes written and recorded by a solo artist over the years.

Although I'm a huge Neil Young fan I don't think either he or Dylan are anywhere near the top because they will never be mistaken for being able to sing. I'm talking about guys who not only write great songs but sing them without peer.

"I live the kind of life, that most men only dream of. I make my living writing songs, and singing them. After 40 years of pickin, I'm still alive and kicking down the walls. But, I hide my age and make the stage and walkaway without a curtain call."--Merle Haggard. That's what I'm talking about.

Comment

Bob Dylan
                            Hank Williams
                            Steve Earle
                            Johnny Cash
                            Matthew Ryan
                            Bruce Springsteen
                            Neil Young *
                            Van Morrison
                            Lou Reed *
                            Peter Gabriel
                            Jay Farrar
                            Neil Finn
                            Paul Westerberg

* if singing ability isn't a factor
                            "The jerk store called and they're running out of you"- George Costanza

Comment

Elliott Smith is my current favorite.
                              Grant Lee Phillips is my long-term champ.
                              -----------------

Originally Posted by Jimmy James: Zippers are like SAT tests. They're geared more for white people and don't reflect black culture, sensibility, complicated hand shakes and Good Times reruns.

Originally Posted by StringJunky: The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with Maalox, Tums, and The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion.

Comment

I'll put in votes for John Hiatt, Steve Earle, Lennon, Springsteen, and Willie Nelson.

And what about Willie Dixon? Could be the most-covered songwriter of all time!!

Lightfoot has never been a fave of mine, even tho I'm canuck. But Robbie Robertson...!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X