Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you think you're going when you die?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't like usin' the words agnostic or atheist because they both presuppose something to be away from.

Agnostic simply means incapable of knowing. The only thing it posits is that some people assert there is a God (simple fact), and that none of us can determine whether that assertion is true.

agnostic

1870, "one who professes that the existence of a First Cause and the essential nature of things are not and cannot be known." Coined by T.H. Huxley from Gk. agnostos "unknown, unknowable," from a- "not" + gnostos "(to be) known" (see [COLOR=#0000ff]gnostic). Sometimes said to be a reference to Paul's mention of the altar to "the Unknown God," but according to Huxley it was coined with ref. to the early Church movement known as Gnosticism (see [COLOR=#0000ff]Gnostic).
    "I ... invented what I conceived to be the appropriate title of 'agnostic,' ... antithetic to the 'Gnostic' of Church history who professed to know so much about the very things of which I was ignorant." [T.H. Huxley, "Science and Christian Tradition," 1889]
    The adj. is first recorded 1873.

Terry D.
    Telling Stories releases 2nd CD, see our WEBSITE! Please check out my GROUPIE STORY and Tales from the Road.

Comment

• Hi, i'm fairly new here but i have to weigh in on this.

I believe that when you die, you simply cease to exist. My existence is merely electrical signals in my brain that have been programmed over years and years of input from my 5 senses. When those electrical impulses stop, your consiousness stops, and your awareness of self stops. I don't fear death because i believe that when you die, you won't even know you're dead.

I also have a really hard time when religious people talk about life after death using physical and/or worldly descriptions. If heaven and hell are places you go after you die, you won't have your eyes to see pearly gates, your ears to hear choirs of angels, your arms to embrace your lost loved ones, etc. It doesn't make sense to me.

Kinda OT, i think fear is an evil emotion. I personally try to keep fear out of my thoughts. Fear is unneccesary. I prefer to accept the things I cannot change, to change the things I can, and not fear things just because they are un-familiar to me.

Comment

• Not that I'm going to rush into it or anything but imagine a place where there are no problems, no bills, no aholes, no taxes, no nothing. I think I'll just go, "ahhhh".
        It would be hardest on the loved ones you leave behind. Mine's a pretty short list though. And they will inherit a bunch of used sporting goods.
        Ibanez Benson archtop
        Martin J40 M
        American Deluxe Strat
        Fender Jazz bass
        Yamaha 12 string
        bunch of old guitars in the barn.

Allright, let's go see what's around the next bend. I'm getting too old for this ****************.

Comment

• having had numerous experiences with what is now called the paranormal, I don't believe our consciousness disappears...but I certainly have no idea what happens to it when we 'shuffle off this mortal coil'. In that sense, I'm with Knobs...agnostic. I think anyone who claims to know what will happen to them after they pass on from this life is in for a rude shock, as it is only a belief, not an assurance, proffered by organized religions that there will be another 'place'; supposedly only one person has actually returned (and then only briefly, if one accepts the story) from 'there' in over 2,000 years, and there is definitely some question as to how accurate that story is...
          "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

• Well, this thread is certainly going for immortality!

But when I die, I'll be D E A D. Really, really dead. Nothing but organic compounds and eventually disassociated atoms. So my advice is to enjoy this life as much as you can because there ain't no other.
            NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

Comment

• When I die don't bury me at all,
              Just pickle my ass in alcohol;
              Put a bottle of booze at my head and feet
              And then I know that I will keep.
              http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...1330893693.png

Comment

• Just pickle my ass in alcohol;

Originally Posted by BlueStrat
                You, on the other hand, are like the third ex wife I never had!

Originally posted by daddymack
                After reading this thread numerous times, I am now becoming convinced that based on the life I have led so far, that I will wind up in Raleigh, NC when I die, for all eternity...

Comment

• I haven't had any important humans in my life die yet so I can't really wrap my brain around that. I just know I don't like the feeling I get when I think I might not "BE" anymore someday.

I've had an "important human" die since this thread was started.

Sometimes I wonder about my Dad and whether the golfing in "Heaven" is as good as Spyglass was.

After reading this thread numerous times, I am now becoming convinced that based on the life I have led so far, that I will wind up in Raleigh, NC when I die, for all eternity...

Comment

• Well, I come through this life a stumbler, my friends
                    I expect to die that way
                    it could be twenty years from now
                    it could be most any day.
                    But if there is no whiskey and women, Lord,
                    behind them heavenly doors
                    I'm gonna take my chances down below,
                    and of that you can be sure.

From the Townes Van Zandt song "No Deal"
                    "I would've been a poet but all this music stuff kept getting in the way" -Townes Van Zandt

Comment

• It's a song, Ally.

Written in 1869 by some guy named Pully.

My wife and I lived all alone,
                      In a little log hut we called our own;
                      She loved gin and I loved rum,
                      I tell you what, we
                      http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...1330893693.png

Comment

• Sometimes I wonder about my Dad and whether the golfing in "Heaven" is as good as Spyglass was.
                        I'm sure the greens' fees are less...
                        "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

• I'm sure the greens' fees are less...

I bet you're correct.

Comment

• I was gonna buy a Pebble Beach golf shirt with the lone cypress tree logo at the pro shop, because the sign said reduced 60%

.....................to $350

I didn't buy it
                            GB #270 in perpetuity

That's what's so great about the Internet:
                            It enables pompous blowhards like myself,
                            to connect with other pompous blowhards
                            in a vast circle jerk of pomposity.

Comment

• I was gonna buy a Pebble Beach golf shirt with the lone cypress tree logo at the pro shop, because the sign said reduced 60%

.....................to $350

I didn't buy it

About 70 times the right price. $350 for $2 worth of cotton and machining may seem excessive but I really can't get over the $4000 coffee machines that some dweebs apparently buy.
                              Website http://forcepics.net63.net

Comment

• About 70 times the right price. $350 for $2 worth of cotton and machining may seem excessive but I really can't get over the $4000 coffee machines that some dweebs apparently buy.
                                At Spyglass (arguably the most beautiful golf course on the planet) and Pebble Beach, all you have to do is sniff the air.

It smells like money. Lots and lots of money.

I paid the green fees for my dad 28 years ago at Pebble, which is a public course. It was $100/round on weekdays back then.
                                GB #270 in perpetuity

That's what's so great about the Internet:
                                It enables pompous blowhards like myself,
                                to connect with other pompous blowhards
                                in a vast circle jerk of pomposity.

Comment

Working...
                                X