Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you think you're going when you die?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by koiwoi
    I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming like his passengers...

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
    Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
    I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.
    One large difference between science and religion is this: In science, if the facts don’t fit the theory, the theory is tossed out. In religion, if the facts don’t fit the theory, the facts are tossed out.
    HCGB draft-dodger

Comment

• Originally posted by koiwoi
      I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming like his passengers...

LMAO
      Originally Posted by BlueStrat
      You, on the other hand, are like the third ex wife I never had!

Originally posted by daddymack
      After reading this thread numerous times, I am now becoming convinced that based on the life I have led so far, that I will wind up in Raleigh, NC when I die, for all eternity...

Comment

• Don't let it worry you too much........you're going to find out.

Comment

• Originally posted by TIP
          Don't let it worry you too much........you're going to find out.

Right. And what if you're wrong?
          If you don't know where you're going, you might end up someplace else.
          A forest is in an acorn.

HCGB Trooper #217

Comment

• Originally posted by ShesGotVerve

I don't think being scared of death is "absurd" at all; in fact, I think it's part of the human condition to fear such an unknown entity. We generally fear that which we cannot explain, so I don't see it as absurd or even mildly "odd".

I don't dwell on my own demise, but occasionally I do try to grab a hold of the concept of "nothingness" and like a slippery eel I can't hold onto it. The thoughts of it seep out of my brain as I try contemplating them. back to what DRM and Bloozcat said a few pages back - it's too incomprehensible for our feeble minds to make sense of. It doesn't mean some of us don't try...

Well, contemplating the void, not-self, non-being, the illusion of existence, and the impermanence of everything are important facets of Buddhist meditation. Millions of people do get their minds around it in some fashion, but they are exposed to these ideas in early childhood, and then get religious training along those lines.
            NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShesGotVerve

I don't dwell on my own demise, but occasionally I do try to grab a hold of the concept of "nothingness" and like a slippery eel I can't hold onto it. The thoughts of it seep out of my brain as I try contemplating them. back to what DRM and Bloozcat said a few pages back - it's too incomprehensible for our feeble minds to make sense of. It doesn't mean some of us don't try...

Sure. Some people debate what happens when an 'unstoppable force meets an unmoveable object' too. Knock yourself out.

Making sense of 'nothing' is logically absurd.

However, there are lots of great philosophical debates that invovle things in the world, and have 'counter-factuabilty'....or in other words, some kind of use.

Comment

• If it's true that males die with an erection, it MUST be good.
                Geezer Trooper #222

Comment

• I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming like his passengers...

LOL
                  If we crave some cosmic purpose, then let us find ourselves a worthy goal.
                  -- Carl Sagan, Pale Blue Dot

Comment

• Someone has been dumpster diving

ME: No where - dust in the wind
                    GB #270 in perpetuity

That's what's so great about the Internet:
                    It enables pompous blowhards like myself,
                    to connect with other pompous blowhards
                    in a vast circle jerk of pomposity.

Comment

• LOL

That was funny.

After reading this thread numerous times, I am now becoming convinced that based on the life I have led so far, that I will wind up in Raleigh, NC when I die, for all eternity...

Comment

• as it is the one thing i am certainly going to learn, i waste no time speculating
                        Euler, Leonhard (1707-1783)
                        [upon losing the use of his right eye]
                        Now I will have less distraction.

Comment

• That was funny.

it was. the first time i read it. there have been numerous intervening readings between then and now.
                          Euler, Leonhard (1707-1783)
                          [upon losing the use of his right eye]
                          Now I will have less distraction.

Comment

• it was. the first time i read it. there have been numerous intervening readings between then and now.

Who are you?

(hi BTW)

Comment

• I don't know why anyone would fear ceasing to exist, if that's what death is.

I mean, not existing (to us) is the same as unconsciousness, and we practice that every night of our lives.

As for burning in hell or strumming a harp, I mean, c'mon. Fairy tales for large (but not grown) children.

Terry D.

P.S. As for me, I'm a militant agnostic, meaning I don't know and neither do you. I'm also a practicing Buddhist, as Buddhism offers a way of living that I find fits me well.
                              Telling Stories releases 2nd CD, see our WEBSITE! Please check out my GROUPIE STORY and Tales from the Road.

Comment

• I don't like usin' the words agnostic or atheist because they both presuppose something to be away from.
                                http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...1330893693.png

Comment

Working...
                                X