Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you think you're going when you die?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe strongly there is one God and no matter what religion you are it will lead to the same place. Heck Judaism, Christianity and Islam all have the same beginning roots. Those who have faith in God and an afterlife and heaven will be going there depending on if they are deserving based on how much good vs evil they have done in this life. If they have done considerable amount of good then they will go to this heaven but if they only did some good then it's proabably reincarnation back to earth time again for them.

There are probably different levels of heaven as well I mean do you think Mother Theresa and you should be going to the same place ? she dedicated her whole life to helping others and so I am sure God will give her more reward then those who have not given as much it's only fair. Don't you ever think how Jesus became the Son of God, i doubt God just chose him out of the blue to be his chosen one Jesus must have reincarnated many lifetimes and lived as close to what God wanted us all to be like.

Those who do not believe in God i.e atheists will probably be given a chance after this life to go to where the faith believing souls are going too but obviously based on how much good vs evil they too have done in this life as well. But just because they're atheists I don't believe God will send them to hell.

If I (a religious person) am wrong then no one will ever know (six feet under) and no harm done but if the atheist is wrong then he's pretty much screwed himself bigtime because then an afterlife does exist and he/she will have some 'splaining to do.

I also believe that everything in this life is a small relection of the God, everything form the complexity of the human body to the beauty of nature to food to nuclear bombs to music and to evil, everything that exists here is in his image or his personality. The universe itself i think is his body and we are just small tiny bits of his creation like cells and the reason he doesn't tell us this big picture is because of Free Will, he doesn't want to force you to love him or make a decision, this is something you have to make on your own.

As far as hell goes, I believe hell is when your soul or energy is completely disolved. Energy is neither created or destroyed by us but God can take your soul and if he deems you to have gone against his basic rules of life such as murder etc then he will snuff us out like a candle in the wind and take our soul and merge it back into Himself so it can be used again to someone else. But i don't believe he does that to people who just didn't believe in Him, those people will be given one chance and reincarnated again to try again.

Heaven i believe is not hard to think about, i mean imagine the best you have felt and multiply that by 10, would that not be a heaven ?

Comment

Well Ally, what do you think ..have you got a clearer picture of it all now?

Comment

Originally posted by GPLAYER
        Well Ally, what do you think ..have you got a clearer picture of it all now?

Oh yeah....it's all crystal clear now.... ....as if there were ever any question....
        Originally Posted by BlueStrat
        You, on the other hand, are like the third ex wife I never had!

Originally posted by daddymack
        After reading this thread numerous times, I am now becoming convinced that based on the life I have led so far, that I will wind up in Raleigh, NC when I die, for all eternity...

Comment

Originally posted by jamesp
          I know shinenola. But I've always liked this:

[...]
          He had no fear of the future -- no dread. He was ready for the end. I have often heard him repeat the words of Epicurus: "Why should I fear death? If I am, death is not. If death is, I am not. Why should I fear that which cannot exist when I do?"

If there is, beyond the veil, beyond the night called death, another world to which men carry all the failures and the triumphs of this life; if above and over all there be a God who loves the right, an honest man has naught to fear. If there be another world in which sincerity is a virtue, in which fidelity is loved and courage honored, then all is well with the dear friend whom we have lost.

But if the grave ends all; if all that was our friend is dead, the world is better for the life he lived. Beyond the tomb we cannot see. We listen, but from the lips of mystery there comes no word. Darkness and silence brooding over all. And yet, because we love we hope. Farewell! And yet again, Farewell!

And will there, sometime, be another world? We have our dream. The idea of immortality, that like a sea has ebbed and flowed in the human heart, beating with its countless waves against the sand and rocks of time and fate, was not born of any book or of any creed. It was born of affection. And it will continue to ebb and flow beneath the mists and clouds of doubt and darkness, as long as love kisses the lips of death.
          We have our dream!

-Robert Ingersoll,
          New York, March 27, 1899

I like this a lot. It doesn't answer my question but throws out some possibilities and a 'way' of viewing things that's appealing. The first little paragraph is a great way of looking at death; it makes a lot of sense.

After reading this thread numerous times, I am now becoming convinced that based on the life I have led so far, that I will wind up in Raleigh, NC when I die, for all eternity...

Comment

Originally posted by koiwoi

Not to be an antagonist, but I'd be happier with "When I die, I believe..."

But I have assurence that I will go there,not "I believe","I hope",if I'm lucky I'll go there".Jesus has assured that we will go there if we remain faithful,we will be welcomed in Heaven. That's why it isn't a game to me,Jesus gives me the confidence in knowing where I'll go when I die.
            1997 Epiphone PR-350CE
            2000 MIM Fender Stratocaster
            2001 Washburn Bantamn bass
            19?? Takamine EGS-340SC
            ???? Yamaha APX-5NA
            2004 Squier Telecaster Standard
            2006 Regal RV-38 resonator
            2000 Cedar Creek Dulcimer
            2009 Stagg mandolin
            ......and more to come!

Comment

Originally posted by ShesGotVerve
              Like the idea that I might no longer e-x-i-s-t can really set my heart a'pounding.

The Bible itself says when you're dead, you're dead. If you don't believe me read Ecclesiates 9 and verses 5 and 10.

I try to steer away from religious discussions. This is not really the forum for it. But I will answer PMs on it (remember I don't check in very often so you will have to be patient. ) The hope from the Bible itself is a ressurection. That means that you have to be brought back to life. Before that you are not conscious.

By the way, Hi everybody.

Comment

Originally posted by KATMAN

But I have assurence that I will go there,not "I believe","I hope",if I'm lucky I'll go there".Jesus has assured that we will go there if we remain faithful,we will be welcomed in Heaven. That's why it isn't a game to me,Jesus gives me the confidence in knowing where I'll go when I die.

My apologies. I was assuming that you hadn't actually spoken directly with God or Jesus about the subject. I had assumed (wrongly) that it was other people that lead you to your beliefs. BTW - you sound like a very nice person. I'm not trying to question your faith.

Comment

Where do you think you're going when you die?

Probably in the ground.
                  So many guitars, so little time

Comment

Same here,I owe you an apology for sounding snotty,I didn't mean for it to sound at all like that. We had an interesting Bible study today at church,and the subjuct was "How do we know that we belong to God"? Assurence was one of the answers. If one does not have assurence about whether they are going to Heaven or not,then they need to look into their lives and ask themselves" What I am doing wrong?".We have to KNOW that we're going to Heaven,that is promise of the scriptures. I mean I hope somebody will walk up and give me a million dollars someday,but I don't believe that will ever happen.
                    1997 Epiphone PR-350CE
                    2000 MIM Fender Stratocaster
                    2001 Washburn Bantamn bass
                    19?? Takamine EGS-340SC
                    ???? Yamaha APX-5NA
                    2004 Squier Telecaster Standard
                    2006 Regal RV-38 resonator
                    2000 Cedar Creek Dulcimer
                    2009 Stagg mandolin
                    ......and more to come!

Comment

• There is a subtle difference between "knowing" something is true and "convincing yourself " something is true.
                      Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
                      Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
                      It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
                      I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.
                      One large difference between science and religion is this: In science, if the facts don’t fit the theory, the theory is tossed out. In religion, if the facts don’t fit the theory, the facts are tossed out.
                      HCGB draft-dodger

Comment

• Originally posted by ShesGotVerve
                        Sometimes I'm scared because I'm afraid when I die I'll become just. . . . .nothing - that I'll no longer. . . . exist. If I really meditate on that for any amount of time it scares me.

Doesnt the fact that nothingness 'scares' you seem a bit absurd? Its not like it would hurt. You wont know that youre not existing. Your current mind tries to make everything contiguous. Its struggling to make a path where there may not be one.

Comment

• I guess death to me is like going to sleep-I am not aware of the moment I blink out and fall asleep and I cant imagine dying to be any different.
                          Mum died,stoned,with a head full of morphine(from Morpheus,God of sleep).Not such a bad way to pass!
                          You can lead a man to knowledge but you can't make him think.

Comment

• Originally posted by babybatter

Doesnt the fact that nothingness 'scares' you seem a bit absurd? Its not like it would hurt. You wont know that youre not existing. Your current mind tries to make everything contiguous. Its struggling to make a path where there may not be one.

It's always scared people. That's why there are so many different theories about where we go when we die.
                            It is not natural to think about not existing anymore. Most people do not want to die. Only those who have health or mental problems welcome death (or those fanatically involved in some movement or the other.)
                            Have you ever talked to a 90 year old who relate's what he is going to do next year? At 90, the possibility of next year goes down considerably. We don't want to die.
                            As people age or when health becomes an issue, death becomes more real.

Comment

• Originally posted by babybatter

I don't think being scared of death is "absurd" at all; in fact, I think it's part of the human condition to fear such an unknown entity. We generally fear that which we cannot explain, so I don't see it as absurd or even mildly "odd".

I don't dwell on my own demise, but occasionally I do try to grab a hold of the concept of "nothingness" and like a slippery eel I can't hold onto it. The thoughts of it seep out of my brain as I try contemplating them. back to what DRM and Bloozcat said a few pages back - it's too incomprehensible for our feeble minds to make sense of. It doesn't mean some of us don't try...

Comment

• I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming like his passengers...

Comment

Working...
                                X