Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you think you're going when you die?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bloozcat

OK, but I'm afraid you've already expressed your opinions here...quite definitely by what you said in your statement above. You have no verifiable fact to support any of these contentions...only your opinions. And that is one of the points I was trying to make. You may disagree with some of the tenets of certain religions, but you can't disprove them, anymore than you can prove your own beliefs in this regard.

You have your beliefs, or if you prefer, opinions and I have mine...as do many others. You may not agree with the founding principles of any particular religion, but they are the principles of those who believe in that way.

So rather than turning this into an unnecessary arguement, why don't we just agree where we can and agree to disagree where we can't...with no hard feelings either way.

Absolutely! no s, no s, just
    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

Originally posted by FlyingBloodyFrogBiscuit
      From a purely scientific point, given the first law of thermodynamics, all that energy has to go somewhere, I just don't think it's a state of matter that we, as humans, can comprehend just yet. God is not going to let us in on all his secrets.

That makes no sense.

You're combining concepts from the physical world with religious ideas.

There is no scientific "law of conservation of soul"
      http://www.greggirardin.net
      http://www.thebandtheroad.com

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleAgent

That makes no sense.

Since when does making sense have anything to posting on the HC Forums...
        "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

Originally posted by Bloozcat

OK, but I'm afraid you've already expressed your opinions here...quite definitely by what you said in your statement above. You have no verifiable fact to support any of these contentions...only your opinions. And that is one of the points I was trying to make. You may disagree with some of the tenets of certain religions, but you can't disprove them, anymore than you can prove your own beliefs in this regard.

It's logically impossible to that something doesn't exist. You have to rely on mechanisms other than logic for these things. Observation, experience.

Furthermore, you can disprove many of the tenents of many religions. It can be shown that Noah's flood is a myth, that the tower of bable is a myth, that the creation account is a myth, there was no garden of Eden, that Scientology was the creation of L.Ron.. etc.
          http://www.greggirardin.net
          http://www.thebandtheroad.com

Comment

....citadels and temples fell
            God no longer casts his spell
            and Jusus Christ's a myth as well
            for we have come so far....

Give it a rest folks .....please.

Comment

Errr.....I get home and there's a religious debate brewing here. My questions and curiosities were intended to be philosophical or (God forbid) academic in nature, because that's the foundation of my interest in the subject of death and dying.

So I guess bringing religion into it was a forgone conclusion, but not one that I intended. Let's everyone have their own religious belief systems and choose not to argue over them here. Please.
              Originally Posted by BlueStrat
              You, on the other hand, are like the third ex wife I never had!

Originally posted by daddymack
              After reading this thread numerous times, I am now becoming convinced that based on the life I have led so far, that I will wind up in Raleigh, NC when I die, for all eternity...

Comment

Originally posted by ShesGotVerve
                Errr.....I get home and there's a religious debate brewing here. My questions and curiosities were intended to be philosophical or (God forbid) academic in nature, because that's the foundation of my interest in the subject of death and dying.

So I guess bringing religion into it was a forgone conclusion, but not one that I intended. Let's everyone have their own religious belief systems and choose not to argue over them here. Please.

It's pretty hard to discuss what happens when you die without religion rearing its ugly head.

Let's face it, the basis of the Christian faith is "Be good and don't go against the establishment here on earth and you will be rewarded after death". (The ultimate con job as far as I'm concerned. )
                Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
                Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
                It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
                I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.
                One large difference between science and religion is this: In science, if the facts don’t fit the theory, the theory is tossed out. In religion, if the facts don’t fit the theory, the facts are tossed out.
                HCGB draft-dodger

Comment

You cant argue with faith,its like arguing with gravity-its there it has no explanation of"why"it exists.
                  There are thousands of faiths,each(with a few notable exceptions)considers itself to be the one,true faith.
                  This is where it gets difficult,after all they are all right arent they,because we are decent,tolerant and aware of others differing needs?
                  My problem is with dogma and absolutes.Thats when things start getting nasty.
                  Religious organisation,power struggles within,especially Catholicism,(I am Catholic BTW),money grabbing evangelism(send me $20 and I`ll show you the path to true righteousness),the exploitation of the weak,sick and vulnerable,all done in the name of a God strike me as no less cynical than Enron.
                  Throughout millenia religion has been an excuse for people to kill and maim each other,exclude each other, ridicule and manipulate.
                  By all means have a faith in your own personal spiritual belief system,but be open minded to the real world truths and the horrors we perpetrate on each other because we invented a God.
                  Blind faith is as dangerous as running around on a skyscraper roof blindfolded.
                  You can lead a man to knowledge but you can't make him think.

Comment

When I die, I am going back where I came from.

A place where I never was aware of anything.

There never was a before or after.

No cares. No worries.

We should all be happy we die someday.

And just think, you get to face the big mystery once and for all.

Hopefully, I'll be old and slow and just slip into it.

I think when you get to old age you just don't care anymore. You only worry that you won't be around to help those you love fend for themselves in an ever more threatening world.
                    Nobody wants to hear you play your guitar, they just want to play your guitar.

Comment

I have an invisible friend called Grub. Only I can see him. You'll just have to take my word for it. I'm going to his house for tuna sandwiches when I die.

Comment

Originally posted by daddymack

As I said, God is indifferent.
                        God couldn't care less what humans think God is.
                        God has to remain totally impartial.
                        God cannot play favorites.
                        God cannot discriminate.
                        Therfore, God cannot condemn the evil to eternal damnation
                        anymore than God can offer everlasting bliss to the devout.
                        Heaven and hell are human creations, not the work of a divine and all powerful being.

I'll stop here before I get too caught up in expressing my opinion.

DM, expressing your opinion is great and I think we're all safe and free to do so but your above statements seem to me to claim great knowledge of the mind of God.
                        You've assumed much.
                        I'd like to know your source of your opinion.
                        My name is Dave and I play guitar.

Comment

Sorry Ally if the discussion got a little out of hand. I suppose it was inevitable.

I'll end my comments here by saying that the greatest gift that God gave the world was love...

Not just love of self and family, but love for our neighbors, our friends, and even our enemies. Forget everything else for a moment and just think about that.

Theist or non-theist, Christian, Buddhist, Jew, et al...Isn't that something we can all agree on?
                          Trooper # 193 in the H.C. Geezer Brigade.

Comment

Originally posted by Danocoustic
                            Well, I don't believe that.

Any god that would send his creation to hell deserves no worship. I don't deal with terrorists in any venue or on any terms.

As far as having been to hell---you & me have had it damn easy. There are plenty who would put us to shame.

When we're done, we're done. We're just not that important.

I think you are wrong, I, you, the whole collective 'us'
                            we ARE that important.
                            Custom Strat
                            Takamine '92LTD

Comment

When I die,I will go to Heaven to be with my Lord and Saviour,Jesus Christ.
                              1997 Epiphone PR-350CE
                              2000 MIM Fender Stratocaster
                              2001 Washburn Bantamn bass
                              19?? Takamine EGS-340SC
                              ???? Yamaha APX-5NA
                              2004 Squier Telecaster Standard
                              2006 Regal RV-38 resonator
                              2000 Cedar Creek Dulcimer
                              2009 Stagg mandolin
                              ......and more to come!

Comment

Originally posted by KATMAN
                                When I die,I will go to Heaven to be with my Lord and Saviour,Jesus Christ.

Not to be an antagonist, but I'd be happier with "When I die, I believe..."

Comment

Working...
                                X