Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you think you're going when you die?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's nearly impossible for humans to conceive of complete nothingness. Just try to imagine no thoughts, no consciousness, no next step. Our minds are wired to always expect what's next. Emptiness can't possibly compute in our minds. It's sort of like trying to imagine and end to the vacuum of space. What would be out there? A brick wall that says, "Space ends here"? What's on the other side of the wall?

I know there are many who won't believe this, but we were created to expect something more...a continuation of something.

As to blaming God for "condemning" souls to Hell; it's not God who does it, it's we ourselves who make the choice. Blaming God may be convenient, but God did give all of us free will to choose. So, if God has a blueprint for how we are to attain heaven and we ignore or reject it, who then is to blame? Certainly not God, but we ourselves.

All I know is that I'm not about to live in eternity separated from the God who has given me so much to be thankful for. I believe in His plan, and I trust in His word. He's never let me down.
    Trooper # 193 in the H.C. Geezer Brigade.

Comment

i believe that matter/energy is neither created or destroyed. the matter/energy that "i" am composed of will go on existing in other forms. hopefully i will leave some positive inertia that will benefit the rest of existence.

peace

Comment

I'm with Bill and Koiwoi - when you're dead, that's it. Someone asked me if I wasn't afraid to die. I said said no, because being dead, I won't be around to experience anything.

I do fear the process of dying, and hope I will go out fast in a massive stroke or the like. If the process is drawn out and painful, death will likely be welcomed.
        NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

Comment

When I was a kid, my dad gave me this advice....

"Son, don't worry too much about your problems. What's the worst that could happen? You'll either live or you'll die. If you live, OK, no problem. If you die, you'll either go to heaven or hell. If you go to heaven, OK, no problem. And if you go to hell, you'll be so busy shaking hands with all your friends, you won't have time to worry."

Good old dad, always put things in perspective.
          Michael D. www.mdlmusic.webs.com "I'm tired of rock-and-rolling Let's get married, Honey, let's go bowling" --Martin Mull

Comment

Well what gives me the heebie-jeebies isn't the idea of whether or not there's anything after death; it's the idea that one could come to welcome death.

The idea of being so sick, so exhausted, so alone, that in the end-game, you wouldn't mind dying - that's what terrifies me.
            "Rome wasn't burned in a day."

HCGB Trooper #239
            CD available at CDBaby

Obligatory Myspace

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Danocoustic
              Gagnon, if I've EVER been insulting to your faith, I apologize. I don't share your beliefs, but I don't want to insult them (or you). I hope I haven't, but if I have, I'm truly sorry. [/QUOTE

I dont' recall if you have. It's not like I keep a list of blackballed names stored somewhere in a dark room. But just in case you did, I accept your apology.
              A forest is in an acorn.

HCGB Trooper #217

Comment

well if all the people who tell me I am going to hell are going to heaven I am proud to be going where they say I am.
                HCONOB membah
                HCDTC I was there and I won!!
                MBM
                Mr. Midnight Magic Bacon Explosion Hamolition Man.

Comment

My mum died two years ago after a long and very painful illness.
                  Near the end she couldnt wait to die,to put an end to her suffering and pain.She had made peace with herself,was happy with her place in the world but at that point had had enough and wanted out-the last thing she was worried about was an afterlife or being greeted at heavens gate.
                  You can lead a man to knowledge but you can't make him think.

Comment

I have a very strong and verified belief in the afterlife, in reincarnation, in the evolution of the soul, in the metaphysical realm, in the fact that we have been here before and will be here again. I dont think there is a personified "God" or a heaven, but I think God is the summation of all energy, all intelligence, that there is definitely good and evil when it comes to energy and those who give and those who use, and that there is much, much much more to life than we examine daily through our five senses. Too much to go through here - I have had the near death experiences, I have had a close friend who "came back" after she was dead and we communicated, and I have met a handful of people through life with which I have strong incredible bonds that originated in past lives.

As for being planted vs cremated - I want to be cremated and have my ashes spread over a special river in the White Msn of NH. Not anytime soon, mind you.
                    Just call me Es'Jo'
                    HCGB Agent #108

That's what I like about you, Es'Jo'...ya got taste! -Daddymack

Comment

i think it's like being in a very deep sleep, with no dreams, but only deeper.

and you never wake up, of course.

"all you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be."

Comment

1) My conciousness will go somewhere.

2) My conciousness will go nowhere (oblivion).

quite simple really

Comment

Originally posted by Bloozcat
                          I think it's nearly impossible for humans to conceive of complete nothingness. Just try to imagine no thoughts, no consciousness, no next step. Our minds are wired to always expect what's next. Emptiness can't possibly compute in our minds. It's sort of like trying to imagine and end to the vacuum of space. What would be out there? A brick wall that says, "Space ends here"? What's on the other side of the wall?

I know there are many who won't believe this, but we were created to expect something more...a continuation of something.

Some very cool posts; I really like hearing others perspectives on the subject. Gagnon, I guess I could say that my interest in what happens to us after we die is more academic than religious. Of course there are ties to religion for some, not for others. Because I'm not sure what I believe, I'm looking at it more from that place.

Bloozcat's post really struck me. He said much better than I was able to the diificulty in trying to even imagine what happens to us, (understanding for some it's not difficult at all). Bloozcat and DRM said essentially the same thing - that as mere mortals we simply aren't able to fathom what happens to us when we die because our brains are wired to live.

Some of you guys think we'll die and just remain particles of energy, while others think there is definitely a life after this one that we will go to. Two views that are very polarized. FBB likes the idea of death - of "nothingness" - because it's peaceful. But my skeptical mind wonders if we will experience nothingness after death; that we might be aware that we are nonexistant and it's an unpleasant realm. That probably doesn't make much sense but I find it hard to make sense of what DRM and Bloozcat pointed out is seemingly impossible for us to fathom.

I believe in some kind of God, or something in the Universe that is bigger than me, something that has kept me alive in the face of adversity. But how that "God" or force controls my disposition at death remains a mystery to me.
                          Originally Posted by BlueStrat
                          You, on the other hand, are like the third ex wife I never had!

Originally posted by daddymack
                          After reading this thread numerous times, I am now becoming convinced that based on the life I have led so far, that I will wind up in Raleigh, NC when I die, for all eternity...

Comment

good, Ally..now...go practice the guitar!
                            "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

Originally posted by ShesGotVerve
                              ..... FBB likes the idea of death - of "nothingness" - because it's peaceful. But my skeptical mind wonders if we will experience nothingness after death; that we might be aware that we are nonexistant and it's an unpleasant realm.....

Not quite Ally - FBB definitely does NOT like the idea of death. However, given that death is inevitable I do like the idea of "nothingness".

On "awareness", this is an interesting subject. It puzzles me when I think about my own self-awareness. Of all the billions of people who have ever lived I have only been aware of one of them - ME!

Without my own personal awareness nothing else in this universe would actually exist (I'm sure it would exist but without my awareness it may as well not).

Perhaps there is something for the argument that the world and everything in it are all just figments of our own imagination.

Heady stuff.
                              Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
                              Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
                              It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
                              I can please only one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow isn't looking good either.
                              One large difference between science and religion is this: In science, if the facts don’t fit the theory, the theory is tossed out. In religion, if the facts don’t fit the theory, the facts are tossed out.
                              HCGB draft-dodger

Comment

good, Ally..now...go practice the guitar!

YOU!!!

I snapped another high E string changing them. I give up.
                                Originally Posted by BlueStrat
                                You, on the other hand, are like the third ex wife I never had!

After reading this thread numerous times, I am now becoming convinced that based on the life I have led so far, that I will wind up in Raleigh, NC when I die, for all eternity...

Comment

Working...
                                X