Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where do you think you're going when you die?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey, reincarnation works for me

Unfortunately, we are nothing more than evolving surface nuisances. We are born, we die. Nothing more, nothing less.
    GB #270 in perpetuity

That's what's so great about the Internet:
    It enables pompous blowhards like myself,
    to connect with other pompous blowhards
    in a vast circle jerk of pomposity.

Comment

• Hey, reincarnation works for me

Unfortunately, we are nothing more than evolving surface nuisances. We are born, we die. Nothing more, nothing less.

That's *YOUR* opinion Mister.

oke:

I'm with Knobs agnosticism - "I can't prove it and neither can you".
      Originally Posted by BlueStrat
      You, on the other hand, are like the third ex wife I never had!

Originally posted by daddymack
      After reading this thread numerous times, I am now becoming convinced that based on the life I have led so far, that I will wind up in Raleigh, NC when I die, for all eternity...

Comment

• That's *YOUR* opinion Mister.

oke:

You chickens

Quit straddling the fence!

GB #270 in perpetuity

Comment

• That's *YOUR* opinion Mister.

Well, I feel that in a way I can kind of prove it with logic, but it is still up to some faith because you can't prove it completely, just read...

To say that after you die there is complete silence FOREVER FOOOREVER, is to say that BEFORE you were born there was that same silence.....FOREVER??? But if there was that same silence forever before you were born, then that is technically not forever, because you were born and put an end to that silence of however long. Like I said, what are the chances that in a universe that has existed so long, that you have just happened to come into existence a matter of years ago, and will leave your current existence in a matter of years, and THATS IT, end of life as you know it. Why exist at all? Maybe you are afraid your soul will be sucked into a black hole by gravity and never escape. Ya, that sure is scary.
          "Without music, life would be a mistake"-Friedrich Nietzsche
          Band in a Boxâ„¢

Comment

• Well, I feel that in a way I can kind of prove it with logic, but it is still up to some faith because you can't prove it completely, just read...

To say that after you die there is complete silence FOREVER FOOOREVER, is to say that BEFORE you were born there was that same silence.....FOREVER??? But if there was that same silence forever before you were born, then that is technically not forever, because you were born and put an end to that silence of however long. Like I said, what are the chances that in a universe that has existed so long, that you have just happened to come into existence a matter of years ago, and will leave your current existence in a matter of years, and THATS IT, end of life as you know it. Why exist at all? Maybe you are afraid your soul will be sucked into a black hole by gravity and never escape. Ya, that sure is scary.

Yeah, umm, I was kinda followin' you until I got to the last two sentences, and that's when your message was lost on me.

After reading this thread numerous times, I am now becoming convinced that based on the life I have led so far, that I will wind up in Raleigh, NC when I die, for all eternity...

Comment

• Well, I feel that in a way I can kind of prove it with logic, but it is still up to some faith because you can't prove it completely, just read...

Can you think of all the natural numbers simultaneously
              GB #270 in perpetuity

Comment

If a proposition requires some faith to prove, then it cannot be proven with logic, Q.E.D. period.

But if there was that same silence forever before you were born, then that is technically not forever, because you were born and put an end to that silence of however long.

Someone didn't pay attention in their college calculus class.

If you start with an infinite interval and remove any finite chunk of it, what remains is still an infinite interval. Infinity - x = infinity.

Like I said, what are the chances that in a universe that has existed so long, that you have just happened to come into existence a matter of years ago, and will leave your current existence in a matter of years, and THATS IT, end of life as you know it.

I see you slept through statistics class too.

In a truly infinite universe (no reason to suppose this is one), then not only is anything possible but it is a certainty to happen.

What are the odds that flipping a coin 10 times will give you 10 heads? It's 1/2^10 or 0.0009765625, i.e. 1 chance in 1024.

But if you keep doing it forever, the chance is 100%.

Why exist at all?

Now you changed the subject to philosophy.

Fortunately, this one has several good answers, you pick one:

(1) Why not?

(2) Because you had no choice (although you could certainly kill yourself now if you wanted)?

(3) To suffer, learn,and die?

(4) To work to improve the human condition?

(5) To experience as much pleasure as possible?

(6) To reproduce and continue the human race?

(7) To avoid being dead for as long as possible?

(8) To dominate and control others?

(9) To wait in a confused and idle state for death?

(10) Nobody knows?

Each of those answers (and many other answers) have been chosen by many. Most people choose not to even think about your question for the majority of their lives.

At least you asked it.

Terry D.
                Telling Stories releases 2nd CD, see our WEBSITE! Please check out my GROUPIE STORY and Tales from the Road.

Comment

• #7 FTW

For 2009 I plan on #5

................coupled of course, with #7
                  GB #270 in perpetuity

Comment

• GB #270 in perpetuity

Comment

• after reading this thread numerous times, I am now becoming convinced that based on the life I have led so far, that I will wind up in Raleigh, NC when I die, for all eternity...
                      "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

• after reading this thread numerous times, I am now becoming convinced that based on the life I have led so far, that I will wind up in Raleigh, NC when I die, for all eternity...
                        GB #270 in perpetuity

Comment

• I see you slept through statistics class too.

In a truly infinite universe (no reason to suppose this is one), then not only is anything possible but it is a certainty to happen.

What are the odds that flipping a coin 10 times will give you 10 heads? It's 1/2^10 or 0.0009765625, i.e. 1 chance in 1024.

But if you keep doing it forever, the chance is 100%.

I agree 100%, that is a very enlightening thought, and sums up perfectly my view on the 'universe'.
                          "Without music, life would be a mistake"-Friedrich Nietzsche
                          Band in a Boxâ„¢

Comment

• The statement that you dont know if there is a God can be considered a statement of fact, if it is given that you know yourself, or that you are in touch with all the knowledge residing in you..

The statement that no one knows if there is a God seems to me more an article of faith - that other people are like you.

No offense intended, but (see above) . . .

Old is the new new.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
                            -Dorothy Parker

Comment

Comment

• This is where you should wish DM good health and a long life!

No offense intended, but (see above) . . .

Old is the new new.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
                                -Dorothy Parker

Comment

Working...
                                X