No announcement yet.

trey anastasio tone

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only if it was Jimi's Strat.
    I guess you haven't looked at Fender Custom Shop prices lately...
    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

No I figure if I wanted a true custom guitar I'd order the parts from Warmoth and build it myself, that, or like THB, have a luthier build it much cheaper.
      Originally Posted by SwampMusic

Never underestimate the perversity of inanimate objects. Their sole purpose is to confound, confuse and generally frustrate the living.

Comment

I have a hard time understanding what they could do to a strat to make it worth $10k. Really, really primo pup wire? Solid gold hardware? Diamond inlays?

No offense intended, but (see above) . . .

Old is the new new.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
        -Dorothy Parker

Comment

I have a hard time understanding what they could do to a strat to make it worth $10k. Really, really primo pup wire? Solid gold hardware? Diamond inlays?

Well, that and the body and neck is hand-sanded on the thighs of virgins.
          GB #270 in perpetuity

That's what's so great about the Internet:
          It enables pompous blowhards like myself,
          to connect with other pompous blowhards
          in a vast circle jerk of pomposity.

Comment

Well, that and the body and neck is hand-sanded on the thighs of virgins.
            their luthiers don't get out much...
            "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

I've come across some cover bands that get that tone pretty well with epiphone hollow-bodies, ts9 as said before, and I'm not sure on the amp, but one of the guys I know didn't have a very expensive amp, don't remember what he had, but it wasn't anything over $1000. He was guitar player in my brother's cover band, did that style of music in the late 90's for big money at frats and such. The hollow body helped get that sustained feedback tone that trey uses alot in his signature sound on phish's signature albums.

Basically, find yourself a nice woody traditional jazz tone, then juice it.

Comment

I've come across some cover bands that get that tone pretty well with epiphone hollow-bodies, ts9 as said before, and I'm not sure on the amp, but one of the guys I know didn't have a very expensive amp, don't remember what he had, but it wasn't anything over $1000. He was guitar player in my brother's cover band, did that style of music in the late 90's for big money at frats and such. The hollow body helped get that sustained feedback tone that trey uses alot in his signature sound on phish's signature albums.

Basically, find yourself a nice woody traditional jazz tone, then juice it.

Sounds about right to me. He's using a Mesa Mark III (or was at some point) and there's a fair number of similar amps out there.
                Guitar > Cable > Amp

Comment

Post 97 he went to fender deluxe reverb and he's always had the custom koa wood cabs.

Comment

By the way, finding that nice woody jazz tone will be alot of fun!

My personal opinion is that Trey never struggled too much with his gained sound, I think it was his clean sounds that frustrated him, if you listen to tall the album stuff, and alot of live stuff over the years, it's the clean sounds that are everchanging and inconsistent. The switch to the Deluxe Reverb sort of marks the timeline where his sound became consistent on the cleans.

Comment

Can I quote you on that? oke:
                      ~ Namaste ....
                      Yogi Robt

~ Love animals ... don't eat them ~

Comment

finding that nice woody

http://www.patcoast.com"The guy would be strumming along, singing the verse to “Margarittavile” and then he would hit his harmonizer pedal for the chorus. It went from sounding like a guy singing and playing guitar to sounding like the Stephen Hawkings trio."-Christhee68" the singer of my cover band used to find it funny to let out gaseous forms of vile hate and sadness that would make a plaster baby Jesus weep."- FitchFY

Comment

Trey is, indeed, a guitar god. I would put him up against any living guitarist for style, tone, and general chops -- he would hold his own.

Folks who say he 'sucks' are obviously idiots. I'm not suggesting that everybody love him or his music, but saying that he 'sucks' is like calling Jimi a hack. It just ain't so.

Comment

Working...
                          X