Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smilin' Bob
    started a topic I Love H

I Love H

They wrote "The Ants" a few years ago, which is everything you wanted to know about ants, their biology and behavior (I've always been fascinated by the critters myself).

And now they have written a new book about the social insects as well:

THE SUPERORGANISM

The Beauty, Elegance, and Strangeness of Insect Societies

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/23/books/review/Jones-t.html?pagewanted=1

It's expensive, but maybe someone will give it to me for Xmas.Or I can wait until the paperback version. Or go to the library (what a concept!).

• daddymack
    replied
    THE SUPERORGANISM
    I had to read that title a couple of times to make sure it wasn't something I might want to distribute...

Leave a comment:

• happy hours
    replied
    we had carpenter ants when we bought this place but I was able to run them away eventually.

they can eat some wood if they get on a roll.

Leave a comment:

• Smilin' Bob
    replied
    Yeah, I don't like ants getting into my space either. We have some little tiny red ants that live under the flagstones in our patio down by the orno where we cook outdoors. There get to be too many of them and w have to nuc 'em. We also have carpenter ants (big black creatures that are mostly nocturnal), and last month they swarmed as the new winged queens and drones left the nest to breed. They decided to do this in our kitchen. We just kept sweeping them out the door - it only lasted a couple of days.

Leave a comment:

• matou
    replied
    SB is a ant-ropologist!

Leave a comment:

• happy hours
    replied
    Ants?We have an infestation of these that you are more than welcome to.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X