No announcement yet.

JOHN DENVER FANS

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JOHN DENVER FANS

I was just listening to some John Denver which I haven't done in awhile. I really like his writing and music. Poets, Prayers and Promises is one of my favorites. Too bad he hadn't been a better pilot.
    Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&%)7#

He was one of my favorites. I can recall when the country music establishment that did awards sort of banned him, which was crazy. He was also turning into a pretty good character actor.
    Harold Horatio Heckuba (Triple H)

Comment

I liked him when he first came out but then I thought he got really cheezy. So was quite surprised when I went to see him at my college and he absolutely smoked, all by himself.
      http://www.patcoast.com"The guy would be strumming along, singing the verse to “Margarittavile” and then he would hit his harmonizer pedal for the chorus. It went from sounding like a guy singing and playing guitar to sounding like the Stephen Hawkings trio."-Christhee68" the singer of my cover band used to find it funny to let out gaseous forms of vile hate and sadness that would make a plaster baby Jesus weep."- FitchFY

Comment

John Denver was a great songwriter and so insanely wholesome to boot!

* feels the warmth *

He was Norman Rockwell's pop star!

The Taylor Harvey Band

The THB myspace page

Comment

One of the other things that I appreciated about him was his presence on stage. He was just so comfortable with the audience. It was almost like he was playing for a bunch of his friends. He just looked so comfortable on stage. Few other live acts could match him for that.
          Foul language is the sign of a weak mind trying to express itself forcibly. * Thankfully, my computer program masks all the foul language and changes it to @&%)7#

Comment

I can recall when the country music establishment that did awards sort of banned him, which was crazy.

The country music establishment didn't ban him. Perhaps you're thinking about this incident with Charlie Rich:

(from Wiki)

Rich had three more top five hits in 1975, but even though he was at the peak of his popularity, Rich began to drink heavily, causing considerable problems off-stage. His destructive personal behavior famously culminated at the CMA awards ceremony for 1975, when he presented the award for Entertainer of the Year, while visibly intoxicated.[1] Instead of reading the name of the winner, who happened to be John Denver, he set fire to the envelope with a cigarette lighter, before announcing the award had gone to "My friend Mr. John Denver." Some considered it an act of rebellion against the Music Row-controlled Nashville Sound. But many speculated that Rich's behavior was a protest against the award going to Denver, whose music Rich had considered too "pop," and not enough "country."[2]

Comment

Charlie Rich should have been banned for recording
              "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World" .
              http://www.patcoast.com"The guy would be strumming along, singing the verse to “Margarittavile” and then he would hit his harmonizer pedal for the chorus. It went from sounding like a guy singing and playing guitar to sounding like the Stephen Hawkings trio."-Christhee68" the singer of my cover band used to find it funny to let out gaseous forms of vile hate and sadness that would make a plaster baby Jesus weep."- FitchFY

Comment

Charlie Rich should have been banned for recording
                "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World" .

"Mohair Sam" and "Lonely Weekends" make up for it.

Comment

I love John Denver I have all his CD's.

Comment

Worst case of plane rash ever though.
                    'Mama, just nearly killed a man, put a gun against his head, changed my mind and went to bed'.

Comment

I had a huge dose of Denver when I was a kid, thanks to my folks, so I didn't want to hear him--or any folk stylings--for many years. But then as I moved beyond the "I don't like it because my parents did" bull I started noticing his amazing songwriting, singing and fingerstyle techniques.

Now I thank my folks for exposing me to him.
                      www.keith-moore.net
                      All things guitar: Blog, jam tracks,
                      articles, lessons, stuff!

Comment

My wife likes that Almost Heaven West Virginia song, so I play it for her from time to time.
                        Death leaves a heartache no one can heal
                        Love leaves a memory no one can steal

Comment

did you know that he was born in Roswell. NM in the 1940s....perhaps there was some alien influence?
                          "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

I had a huge dose of Denver when I was a kid, thanks to my folks, so I didn't want to hear him--or any folk stylings--for many years. But then as I moved beyond the "I don't like it because my parents did" bull I started noticing his amazing songwriting, singing and fingerstyle techniques.

Now I thank my folks for exposing me to him.

Me too.

His later stuff with all the flute and soprano sax is too much for me to take, but the rest is awesome.
                            Originally Posted by jaxn slim

I'm totally gonna beat my kids until they can play like that.

Comment

personally I consider his loss far more tragic than some of the other well known artists that have passed. I won't name any names as it will just evoke bad feelings but yes, I think he was a great artist and I suspect he still had a lot of good songs left in him.

Here's hoping he has a direct line to the hc forums and is able to still feel the love.

Comment

Working...
                              X