No announcement yet.

Hiya, gang.

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiya, gang.

I haven't been around much of late, which is prolly just as well, since my sense of humor kinda took a nose dive sometime back. I check in on you folks frequently, and still get a kick outta the vibe of this place. Hope you're all well.

My folks aren't doing too well. Dad had triple bypass 2 years ago, and with his Black Lung, he hasn't been well since: in and out of the hospital with pneumonia or CHF, it's one thing after another. Mom was diagnosed with small cell lung CA about 18 weeks ago. They're treating aggressively with chemo, and the last scan showed some improvement, but, ****************, she's 75, and the treatment is knocking the **************** outta her, so for now, it's a push.

I'll lose them both pretty soon, and it hurts, but it's to be expected, so I'm not looking for sympathy.

They live on S.S. and what Dad makes part time doing Security(he's an ex-cop), and with him going in and out of the hospital, money is often short.

So, the point. I'm looking to put on a dinner/dance/party to raise a little cash to help them with gas for driving to treatments, etc. I can put together a band from my church(the drummer, bass player and singer/harp player, we all met on the club circuit). I think I can get the local KofC hall for nothing, and , wonder of wonders, I have kind of an in with the local beer distributor, so I can maybe get a few kegs.

My question is, having never put together anything like this, does anyone have any ideas regarding maximizing the money, without making it into a beg-fest? My folks are proud people, and I can convince them to go along with this, I'm sure, if I can assure their dignity won't take a beating. I would rather cut off my playing fingers that make my parents feel one moment of shame or embarassment.

This only comes about cause my sisters don't really have much, and while I pay the bills comfortably, I've got a boy in college, and I see that expenses are going to start out-pacing what I can cover on a regular basis soon

Any ideas are welcome. I'll try to check in and answer any questions I can. Thanks, you guys have always been the best, even when I couldn't see it

Steve.

BTW, if you're of the praying persuasion, those are always welcome. Peace, friends.
    You're not the boss of me!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by RG450

It's like ordering a pizza at Pizza hut and getting a dingo thrown at you.

I've done several benefit gigs for a guy that had a big ranch with a huge stable that he converted into a live music/dance hall. He did several things at each event to raise money.

One was a poker run, on horseback. Everybody tossed in 25 or 30 bucks, and whoever had the best hand, at the end, got a nice prize, that a local merchant had donated. Another thing he always did was to raffle off a couple of nice items. Again, these were donated from local businesses. Some of the prizes I remember were things like, a hand made saddle, a leather jacket, a complete car wash, wax and detail, a hand carved shotgun and things like that. All of it donated. You might be surprised at how generous people can be, when the folks needing help are a part of the community. Check with some of the folks you and your parents do business with regularly. Couldn't hurt to ask.
    -----------------------------------------------

"Being a musician aint a skill, it's an affliction"

Tyrone Purvis, in the movie "The Honeydrippers"

My Forum
    The Roost

Comment

Hey Ducky, sorry to hear about your folks. My mom succumbed to Alzheimer's a few years back, so I've been there, too. I've done a few benefits and here are some ideas for you.

1. Get as many local businesses involved as you can. You can have raffle drawings and sell the tickets for $1 or whatever you want. Get your friends involved. If you have friends in bands who might donate a few CDs as raffle prizes, tap them. Local restaurants, craftsmen, tattoo parlors. Maybe you can get a local music store to donate a Squire strat as the grand prize. (I once raffled off the drummer to raise enough to pay the band a decent amount!) I've hit up resorts and hotels for free weekends, auto shops for free tune-ups, guitar shops for free set-up/gift certificates and on and on.

2. Try to have some different styles of music as entertainment throughout the evening. Since some of the people attending won't be into a rock band, find some older folks who still play out. A solo piano player doing Joplin type stuff or a Leon Redbone style guitarist, maybe a duo or two to fill things out early in the evening.

3. Check the local laws re: alcohol, but if you can get a couple kegs donated and sell it for a couple/few bucks a pint, those kegs won't last long. The venue may have rules about it, too.

4. Do as many radio plugs as you can. Most radio stations are good about plugging this stuff if you call up and are cool with your approach. Call the popular morning shows a week in advance, then again the day or two before and give the old what, when, who, why and where.

The key is to have as many things to offer people for a few bucks as possible so they're always getting something in return for their money. That way, you're never just passing the hat. There's always a perceived value.

Make sure you designate someone to act as stage manager and get the musicians up and down quickly. You know how we like to mingle after a gig.

PM me a mailing addy and I'll be happy to send out a few THB CDs to help get the ball rolling.

The Taylor Harvey Band

The THB myspace page

Comment

Hey Duck, sorry to hear about your folks.

Our Fireman's Ball has open admission, and they make their $$ from beer sales and the raffle, and get a cut of the food and T-shirt sales that vendors provide. The raffle has maybe one high end item and then lots of small stuff like movie tickets, car wash, restaurant meals, pizzas, massage, haircuts, etc. All the stuff is donated. Try pawn shops. The ones around here have got so much stuff they'll never be able to sell it, and donating a thing or two is good advertising.
        NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

Comment

Hey jd

Best of luck with the benefit.

My thoughts and prayers to you and your mom and dad.

Comment

Glad to hear form you JD, but sorry for your parents' troubles. Hope your event is a hit. These folks here have some good ideas.

No offense intended, but (see above) . . .

Old is the new new.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
            -Dorothy Parker

Comment

Then there's the "5 lb sack o'flour" auction, in which the same is auctioned off, then the winner puts it up again, etc., and it's value keeps increasing.You might have to have a couple of friends help bid it up the first time or two.

Actually, anything can be used as the sack of flour.

Also, make sure you invite your parent's friends and fellow church members, work mates, etc. Those people know your folks and probably have more $$ to donate!
              NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

Comment

Jumpduck...as glad as I am to see you stop by, I am deeply saddened by the situation with your parents. I see plenty of good suggestions offered here, as I would expect from this group....I also would suggest you learn some of your parents favorite songs to play at this benefit.
                Also, look into finding some hot wimminz and have a kissing booth...it's a surefire money maker!
                "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

Sorry man about your folks ...... hope they don't suffer and hope that you have success with the gig. Thoughts and prayers sent your way.

Comment

Holy ****************, just got a call from my sister. Apparently, something along the lines of what I was envisioning is already in the works, thanks to some folks from my parents hometown. Damn, if people won't suprise you.

BTW, your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

I will let you all know how it turns out.
                    You're not the boss of me!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Originally posted by RG450

It's like ordering a pizza at Pizza hut and getting a dingo thrown at you.

Comment

Working...
                    X