No announcement yet.

Ate or Eaten

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ate or Eaten

Okay so me and a friend just got in an argument when talking about chinese food. She said,"Everytime I have ate there,there was something wrong with my food". I corrected her and said eaten. She says I am wrong. I am just curious as to who is right.

You are right, tell her I said so
    "I would've been a poet but all this music stuff kept getting in the way" -Townes Van Zandt

Comment

Okay so me and a friend just got in an argument when talking about chinese food. She said,"Everytime I have ate there,there was something wrong with my food". I corrected her and said eaten. She says I am wrong. I am just curious as to who is right.

You are both right and wrong.

You are certainly correct about "eaten", as used in that sentence.

However, you have a serious problem with "so me and a friend".
      Originally Posted by BlueStrat
      You, on the other hand, are like the third ex wife I never had!

Originally posted by daddymack
      After reading this thread numerous times, I am now becoming convinced that based on the life I have led so far, that I will wind up in Raleigh, NC when I die, for all eternity...

Comment

Should be either "Everytime I ate there" or "Everytime I have eaten there".

Comment

Should be either "Everytime I ate there" or "Everytime I have eaten there".

This.

English is funny. Those two statements would seem to be the same, but the first implies that you won't be eating there again, while the second implies that you will continue to eat there.

Comment

The simple past tense of eat is ate: "I ate it."

Not allowed to use the verb "to have" with the simple past tense.

But it's OK in order to form the past perfect tense: "I have eaten."

The perfect tense uses the verb
            NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

Comment

The Grammar Nazi Brigade is out in full force I see....
              "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

It's SO MUCH FUN!
                NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

Comment

you probably enjoy grading term papers too...
                  "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

you probably enjoy grading term papers too...

If they are good

If they are bad

Comment

A past participle indicates past or completed action or time. It is often called the 'ed' form as it is formed by adding d or ed, to the base form of a regular verb, however it is also formed in various other ways for an irregular verb (in the case of eat, adding en).

For example,
                      Ibanez Benson archtop
                      Martin J40 M
                      American Deluxe Strat
                      Fender Jazz bass
                      Yamaha 12 string
                      bunch of old guitars in the barn.

Allright, let's go see what's around the next bend. I'm getting too old for this ****************.

Comment

A past participle indicates past or completed action or time. It is often called the 'ed' form as it is formed by adding d or ed, to the base form of a regular verb, however it is also formed in various other ways for an irregular verb (in the case of eat, adding en).

For example,
                        Just call me Es'Jo'
                        HCGB Agent #108

That's what I like about you, Es'Jo'...ya got taste! -Daddymack

Comment

Well, it was a grammar question, was it not?

Professor Bob provided the answer and the explanation. Vervie had a good point as well.

There are some other issues with the OP, also. The argument they "got in" was about chinese food, or so it states. So where is "there", the universal source of chinese food? The argument was apparently about a particular chinese restaurant.

Perhaps the exchange might have gone like this:

"I hate that Chinese restaurant."

"Why is that?"

"There has been something wrong with my food every time I have eaten there."

"What was wrong with it?"

"It was Chinese."

"Are we going to argue about Chinese food again?"

No offense intended, but (see above) . . .

Old is the new new.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
                          -Dorothy Parker

Comment

has is correct. "everytime i has ate there"

Comment

has is correct. "everytime i has ate there"

Yeah, you got me - I done forgot about that one!

English is a rich language with a long history of incorporating chunks and words from other languages. Consequently, we anglaphones (English speakers) have more words to use than any other language offers, but we also have a bunch of irregular verbs. Our tenses aren't as complicated as in some other languages, but there some pitfalls.

But, the miracle of the internet can inform us all! Just Google "English grammar" (as I did)!

Comment

• Working...
                                X