No announcement yet.

My banjo playing is helping my balalajka playing

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My banjo playing is helping my balalajka playing

I still suck at banjo. I can comp some simple chords but it's very far from the real deal, real 5-string bluegrass banjo. But it's already helping my right hand a lot and my balalajka playing, which is sorta based on the same 3-fingered technique, is getting a lot better. My right hand is more relaxed and more accurate.

It's funny how different instruments influence each other. I remember how playing bass made me amuch better guitar player although I never really learnt how to play bass. Playing a little lapsteel is good for my slide playing even though I can hardly do anything on the lapsteel.
    Terje Larsson

inbox is full, send e-mail instead

Hey, wanna look at my comics? Come here then http://terjelarssonserier.blogspot.com/

Ah, sorry, it's all in swedish, but you can always look!

You can also check out my crazy friend Dan's crazy website where he'll teach you to master the guitar in 8 minutes (or days... or whatever).

http://spytunes.co.uk/

Well, thank you for this insightful and revealing post...
    good to see you stop by the old hot tub, T!!!
    How's Sweden?

I do agree though, that switching off to other instruments can help to refine/redefine one's playing technique.

But the banjo....??
    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

I play mando, mando-cello, Irish bouzouki, oud, cittern, bass. Not banjo (yet!).

Really does add many elements to my guitar playing.
      ~ Namaste ....
      Yogi Robt

~ Love animals ... don't eat them ~

Comment

Well, thank you for this insightful and revealing post...
        good to see you stop by the old hot tub, T!!!
        How's Sweden?

I do agree though, that switching off to other instruments can help to refine/redefine one's playing technique.

But the banjo....??

Sweden is dark and cold right now, don't come here! That's a message not just to you but to the rest of the known universe. Stay away from Scandinavia right now, come back in spring. Only those who were born here can live through this ****************!

What about the banjo, huh? Well, I was already playing with a thumbpick and two fingerpicks on the balalajka. It just evolved to that. And in the end that tecnique comes from 5-stringed banjo, or at least it is most developed around that type of bluegrass banjo playing so checking it out has really helped.

What it has done, and is still doing, is that it gives me accuracy because all it is about on the 5-stringed banjo is the right hand rolls. Learning rolls has made my right hand fingers much more accurate. Even though I don't use rolls that much on the balalajka the confidence spills over.
        Terje Larsson

Hey, wanna look at my comics? Come here then http://terjelarssonserier.blogspot.com/

You can also check out my crazy friend Dan's crazy website where he'll teach you to master the guitar in 8 minutes (or days... or whatever).

Comment

I wanted to learn to play 5-string banjo.

I did not own one, and visited with a banjo instructor to get an idea what was involved. He explained the importance of the finger-rolls, and showed me a few variations, which I might begin practicing without a banjo. His "day job" was police-work ... he was a state-trooper ... and he practiced finger-rolls on the steering wheel of his patrol car while patrolling highways. Very clever!
          ~ Namaste ....
          Yogi Robt

~ Love animals ... don't eat them ~

Comment

If you tune your high E-string down to D your four highest strings will be tuned the same as the four first on a 5-stringed banjo and you can actually learn all there is to know about how to play on just those four strings on a regular guitar.

If you tune your guitar to open G your first five strings will be tuned the same as on a banjo but the low G-will of course be in the wrong octave. You can still practice those rolls though, and not just on your steering wheel.

However, the real trick to make it sound like real bluegrass banjo is that 5th string...
            Terje Larsson

Comment

If you tune your high E-string down to D your four highest strings will be tuned the same as the four first on a 5-stringed banjo and you can actually learn all there is to know about how to play on just those four strings on a regular guitar.

If you tune your guitar to open G your first five strings will be tuned the same as on a banjo but the low G-will of course be in the wrong octave. You can still practice those rolls though, and not just on your steering wheel.

However, the real trick to make it sound like real bluegrass banjo is that 5th string...

Yes, hitting those high notes with the thumb makes all the difference in the world. Avoiding hitting them when you don't want to is also nice.

I enjoy playing the banjo, but I don't do it as much as I need to in order to become a "real" bluegrass banjo player. But I have fun with it whenever I do play it.

Fingerpicking on guitar, especially 12-string, has helped me adopt the banjo.

No offense intended, but (see above) . . .

Old is the new new.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
              -Dorothy Parker

Comment

Working...
              X