No announcement yet.

Useless crap you learned in school...

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Useless crap you learned in school...

...that stuck in your brain but you'll never use.

Bloody Pythagoras and his stupid Theorem. 'The square on the hypotenuse of a right-angle triangle equals the sum of the squares of the other two sides'.
    Yamaha LL16 A.R.E.
    Yamaha LJ6 A.R.E.
    Yamaha FG750S

Don't even get me started...I am a walking encyclopedia of useless data, annexed to a thesaurus, wrapped in mathematics textbook... do not play 'trivial pursuit baby boomers edition' with me
    "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

...that stuck in your brain but you'll never use.

Bloody Pythagoras and his stupid Theorem. 'The square on the hypotenuse of a right-angle triangle equals the sum of the squares of the other two sides'.

1) Geometry and math in general are useful for teaching you how to think, even if you never need to use geometry or to solve quadratic equations in every day life.

2) As an archeologist, I frequently used the Pythagorean Theorem to lay out excavation grids using only 3 tape measures.

For example, let grid unit size = 2m. The side of each grid unit (B & C) = 2m. How long is the hypotenuse of a 2 x 2 m square?

A2 = B2+C2
      A2 = 22+22
      A2 = 8
      square root of 8 = 2.8

So, with string, 2 tape measures, and stakes lay out a 2 x 2 m square on the ground.

[FONT=Times New Roman]With 3rd tape, check to see that the diagonal measurement (hypotenuse) is 2.83 m. If it
      NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

Comment

So in general, learning is good. If you feel it's useless, it's because you probably ****************ed off and didn't get it in the first place, and/or didn't do anything with it later.

IMHO
        NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

Comment

Bloody Pythagoras and the rest of the bloody ****************ing Greeks were the first people to realize that the world and things in it weren't god-driven and could be figured out by systematic investigation and rational thought. Let's have a little respect!

Ha ha! So true. I remember sitting in my 10th grade geometry class, bored stiff, thinking "where the hell am I EVER going to use this worthless crap?" And then I became a carpenter, using geometry every day of my life, wishing I'd paid better attention.

Who sez God doesn't have a sense of humor?
          http://www.patcoast.com"The guy would be strumming along, singing the verse to “Margarittavile” and then he would hit his harmonizer pedal for the chorus. It went from sounding like a guy singing and playing guitar to sounding like the Stephen Hawkings trio."-Christhee68" the singer of my cover band used to find it funny to let out gaseous forms of vile hate and sadness that would make a plaster baby Jesus weep."- FitchFY

Comment

Bloody Pythagoras and the rest of the bloody ****************ing Greeks were the first people to realize that the world and things in it weren't god-driven and could be figured out by systematic investigation and rational thought. Let's have a little respect!
            they also are responsible for introducing the world to socially acceptable homosexuality, the warrior caste, and a number of very nasty STDs...but without guys like Pythagoras, Euclid, Archimedes, Agatharchos (photographers take note!), Socrates, Democritus (no, he was an early physicist and astronomer), Hippocrates, Ptolemy, Plato, Zeno...(dang...I know there are a ton more too...) Heraklitus, Theodorus...(can't remember what they got famous for, though...) anyway, we would have had to wait another thousand years for folks to get their heads out of their butts to figure this stuff out...or the Chinese would have done it first...
            "We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Comment

it works well doing truss calculations with my pre-engineering students finding forces and moments.
              Originally Posted by SwampMusic

Never underestimate the perversity of inanimate objects. Their sole purpose is to confound, confuse and generally frustrate the living.

Comment

it works well doing truss calculations with my pre-engineering students finding forces and moments.

I had no idea that you wore a truss, or that they were so complicated to adjust!

Trigonometry is very useful in a wide variety of applications, and helps form the foundation for higher maths which enable modern technology to exist. While it is true that many or most people don't use it in their private lives, I think it is worthwhile, while you are teaching children things, to expose them to these concepts.

There are, however, many things they teach you (or taught me) in school which could be done without. For instance, the names of the countries in Africa could be left out, as they are likely to change before you need to recall them. The English pronunciation and spelling of Chinese cities seem to be likewise malleable.
                No offense intended, but (see above) . . .

Old is the new new.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
                -Dorothy Parker

Comment

well, you wouldn't want to mispronounce, say, Nigeria...now would you?
                  Funny how we thought we would never use stuff (like me viv-a-vis geometry, trig and calculus), physics: basic electricity anyone?, fluid dynamics...ever install a rain gutter?...so there really was some rational cognitive mental reason for stuffing our little skulls full of what appeared to be nonsense and gobbledeegook at the time...I find myself using Ohm's and Watt's Laws regularly...varying aspects of physics, math and occassionally even English grammar (like in here )...but what I have not done in decades is a jumping jack...

Comment

.. and if people had grasped their high school physics - specifically the stuff about the electromagnetic absorption spectrum - then perhaps there might be some action on carbon pollution.
                    Website http://forcepics.net63.net

Comment

Ever have to lay out a parabolic arch, Pat?

9x-7i > 3(3x-7u)
                      9x-7i > 9x-21u
                      -7i > -21u

i <3 u
                      http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...1330893693.png

Comment

anything that exercises your brain
                        The new kid friendly mother approved LR

Comment

Ever have to lay out a parabolic arch, Pat?

9x-7i > 3(3x-7u)
                          9x-7i > 9x-21u
                          -7i > -21u

i <3 u

i <3 u2

Comment

First we have to teach 9th graders how to read a ruler. It takes at least a week.
                            Originally Posted by SwampMusic

Never underestimate the perversity of inanimate objects. Their sole purpose is to confound, confuse and generally frustrate the living.

Comment

Pythagoras' theorem has been useful quite often since I left school, but those Geography lessons that listed principal exports of various nations were a complete waste of time. Most places exported copra as I recall. Despite people all over the place busily exporting copra here, there and everywhere, I have never seen any over here.

Comment

Working...
                              X