No announcement yet.

Metal in 2020, What is your vision?

Collapse
X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Metal in 2020, What is your vision?

1: What is big right now in metal, and what of the new stuff do you think will grow?

2 : How is your outlook for the metal genre for the next 7 years?

3 : What is your view on the development of music in general ?

Share your perspective!

Benefits :

More clarity on the needs of the audience/society
    Inspiration to own playing by getting new suggestions
    Helpful if you are working on a carrier on music
    Helpful in defining your own style

Magnus Gautestad wrote:

1: What is big right now in metal, and what of the new stuff do you think will grow?

Share your perspective!

Benefits :

I never listen to metal - or hip hop/rap. I'm really old and don't get 'em - they mostly seem unmusical to me.

I wonder, when you are my age, if you'll find yourself listening to metal in the same way I listen to jazz, blues, and rock?

NOTE: The absence of smilies in this post should not be taken to mean that I think your post is stupid, nor that I loath, despise, or hate you; nor that I disrespect you and all your works; nor that I see you as victim or lawful prey; nor think you have the intellect of half a loaf of bread; nor that I find you disgusting or unworthy or otherwise hate your behavior, opinions, politics, gender, sexual orientation, culture, ethnic background or language.

F*** 'em if they can't take a joke!

Comment

Magnus Gautestad wrote:

Share your perspective!

Benefits :

Nothing is 'big' now in metal...it is a stagnant, dead-end genre, hence all the factionalizing it has undergone [dark metal, speed metal, death metal etc.] .  It attracts 15 year old boys because the macho/self-destructive message, head banging, cookie monster vocals and distorted guitars playing fast riffs,  etc., resonate with that pubescent crowd. Many never outgrow it, but, thankfully, some do. The sad fact is it has never even been really recognized by Billboard as a stand-alone genre, always lumped in with 'Hard Rock', which means it fails to generate adequate sales to chart a hit.  What does that tell you? Arguably there are a number of outstanding muscians playing within the Metal context, but sadly most will languish in relative obscurity, known only within the community of metalheads. Consider that Yngwie Malmsteen is still not a household name like Eddie Van Halen was...maybe he should marry a Kardassian...

Music in general is being redefined and restructured due to the availability of music via the internet; there will a billion subgenres (i.e. SteamPunk) that only those who are into it will even be aware of, and the 'word' of mouth'/google search will be the way it gets found. Traditional terrestrial commercial music radio will slowly die a well deserved death.

No one will make a ton of money without a major label supporting them, because although the playing field is 'leveled', it is a billion times larger than it was a decade ago. Once again, in order to be heard, it will take massive promotion (or rare but occassional serendipity) to become well known enough to generate a million seller...and that path will be closely guarded by the labels, as it always was.  The complete absence of a physical product will be the big change, putting replicators and printers out of business by the score; they will go the way of the record store.  A few hearty Luddites will continue to have vinyl pressed, but even that will eventually fade once we get over the compression wars and physical storage limitations.

The 'rock star' we have come to know and aspire to become will be a thing of the past, as rock music fragments into subgenres like sand on a beach.

"We are currently experiencing some technical difficulties due to reality fluctuations. The elves are working tirelessly to patch the correct version of reality. Activities here have been temporarily disabled since the fundamentals of mathematics, physics and reason may be incomprehensible during this indeterminate period of instability. Normal service will be restored once we are certain as to what 'normal' is."

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally used up and worn out, shouting '...man, what a ride!'

"The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires, but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively" ~Bob Marley

Solipsism is the new empiricism. -Alan Burdick

Comment

• Axee-o-matic
        Axee-o-matic commented
        Editing a comment

I got bored with metal in 1980. It seemed to all start sounding the same to me. It hasn't gotten any better. It won't get any better. RIP

Animals for Leaders is very big right now. The musicianship and innovation is actually quite amazing. I'd recommend some of their songs to ANYONE. Meshuggah is also very well known. Opeth helped shape the scene as well. They are very great musicians.

The common perception of metal is about as far off as the common perception of what the 1% really is. Most people don't care, don't know. Even though death and scream sing are associated with it heavily in the common mind, most of metal genres aren't about this and don't use it.

I don't have a vision of where metal is going but I do know everything is 'Leaping' right now. I'm curious to what other more knowledgable metal heads have to share. 

Comment

• daddymack
        daddymack commented
        Editing a comment

TravisWright210 wrote:

Animals for Leaders is very big right now. The musicianship and innovation is actually quite amazing. I'd recommend some of their songs to ANYONE. Meshuggah is also very well known.

Yes, within the Metal community....not the general populatiion...meaning the people who buy music.

Are they charting on the billboard hot 100? I would have to guess not.

Perception and perspective are everything, and again, within the Metal community, I'm sure these guys are the new gods...but most people have never heard their music, nor do they care.

Working...
    X