Advice on Guitar interfaces!!

donovan84

• Members

I need some serious assistance in choosing the best USB guitar interface for my budget. It's basically just as a quiet practice system and maybe some light recording, but nothing hectic. The 3 I've checked out are Guitar Rig Mobile, Line 6 Guitarport and the M-Audio Jamlab. Which is a better option?! Are the respective software packages accompanying the interfaces inter-usable amongst the different interfaces? ie If I decide to purchase the Guitar rig package and later on I get my hands on the line 6 gearbox software, would the 2 work together?

• Members

Gearbox won't run on anything but Line 6 hardware - I tried and it checks on start-up. I have owned 3 or 4 interfaces and my "older" Boss GS-10 is amazing. I have a newer Presonus INSPIRE Firewire Interface but use my Boss 100% of the time. It has everything you'd ever need Built-in. Amps, Cabs, USB recording, Stomps - just amazing. They're discontinued but Ebay is where I got mine - Originally they sold for $500 - I paid $103 for mine and after using it for a few months I'd actually have paid $500 for it - it's that good! I don't even use Guitar Rig 3 or Amplitube 2 anymore as the Boss GS-10 has it all built-in! Works beautifully on my Mac and my Windows laptop and the sound is PRISTINE and beautiful.

• Members

Hi,

I have just gotten into using the Guitar Rig Mobile I/O and it works and feels sooo much better than the tc electronics Konnekt 24D audio card I used previously. That combined with GR4 Pro is a very nice combination.

Having said that I have to echo Strangedogs recommendation of the Boss GS-10. I have owned that since it first hit the market and it is indeed a truly wonderful product. I have recorded very many tunes with it going direct. More than 100 many of wich you can listen to at BTKing.

The thing I love about the GS-10 that it has a wonderful and dynamic clean sound that you really can play and that it reacts so well to players touch and changing of guitar volume and tone controls. It also takes pedals exceptionally well.

For the past 5 years I have used the GS-10 almost exclusively and been very happy. Now the Hot Plexi in GR4 Pro is very good but I will definitely continue to use the GS-10.

Cheers,

Mats N

• Members

Aha! Another GS-10 owner... this has to be a well kept secret as far as interfaces go - most people I tell about my GS-10 are ignorant about it. I have owned a few different interfaces (Fasttrack USB, a Presonus INSPIRE FW, etc.) but when I fired up the GS-10 I was in love with the PRISTINE sound. With the Editor (and Librarian) software you can set up anything you want with practically every effect known to man at your disposal. I still use Amplitube Fender some, and also Logic Studio 9's new amps but usually just dial in my amp sounds on the GS-10 and record directly. I also love the hardware noise gate it employs - even the heavy Rectifiers and Plexis are quiet (no extra noise). If ya'll want a big surprize - BUY ONE - you'd be amazed. I also have collected literally hundreds of presets including all the GT-6 converted to GS-10 format. It comes with 100 and has room for 100 more and as I said with the Editor Software it's limitless.

367955.jpg

http://www.roland.com/products/en/GS-10/index.html

Hell the damn thing is a stand-alone practice amp too with it's built-in speakers.

Here's an old GC link with sound clips

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Boss-GS10-Tabletop-Guitar-EFX-?sku=151430

and if the lack of foot control is an issue it works great with the FCB1010 midi controller foot-board

• Members

I have a Boss GT-10 effects unit which I use with my live rig, if I connect it to my PC via USB, would I be able to do the same kind of thing you do with the GS-10? If so, what software would you recommend? I'm totally new to the whole interface/recording thing, so apologies if I don't sound too clued up.

• Members

Not owning a GT-10 I had to study it a bit on the Web

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=941

It should work fine. Install the USB Drivers and Librarian software from the link - plug it into your computer via USB... The Librarian Software will allow you to add or delete presets on your GT-10 and there's loads of presets on the web for it (see the Boss Forums I link you to at the end of this post). I found by hooking my computer speakers into my GS-10 and selecting it as OUTPUT and INPUT in any DAW it works flawlessly. You can also select it as OUT and IN in the Windows Control Panel (or System Preferences in Mac OS X) and it becomes your Windows or Mac sound card! Everything will be routed through it and EVERYTHING - Games, DVD's, Windows Apps, etc will sound GREAT! If your a Windows man I recommend REAPER as a recording solution (DAW): http://www.reaper.fm/ Free to use and you really never need to buy it. There's a manual to download too and select your GT-10 in Reaper as your IN's and OUT's also. Once set up - add a TRACK (AUDIO) and make sure MONITOR is on (so you can hear yourself) and you should be ready to record! Any other problems check out the Reaper forums or just ask and I'll try to help :)

Also here's a great forum for your GT-10:

http://www.bossgtcentral.com/forum/index.php

NOW GO AND HAVE FUN!

• Members

Thanks, I'll definately check it out!

You seem really clued up, so I'm gonna ask you a very embarassing question concerning live sound.

I play a USA Fender strat through my Boss GT-10 into a Marshall JCM 2000, TSL602. I have sat for hours trying to get a decent tone from my rig, but I find it really hard to create my own sounds with all the intricate settings involved.

I decided to start from step 1, so my question is: What are the best settings (GAIN, TREBLE, MID, BASS) for my amp when connecting a multi-effects unit with amp-modelling? Do I try to get the best clean sound by connecting my guitar directly into my amp first and only once I have the best direct sound then connect the effects unit and work from there or Do I set everything to centre and then work from there? Is it better to turn the pre-amps off when playing through an actual amp or should I just tweak the settings until it sounds good?

I really need advice, I always used to play through my guitar amp using individual stompboxes, so it was much easier.

• Members

Normally I always set up with the CLEANEST sound I can get and then let the Multi-Effects Unit do it's thing... I'd try for everything at 12:00 o'clock and go from there tweaking as necessary for whatever sound you're after. I use an old big Roland DAC-50XD SS Amp with my Multi-Effects units (I have several)... even though I have 3 tube amps I find the cleanest sound comes from a SS amp and old Rolands are great for that.

• Members

I run a Steinberg(yamaha) MR816-CSX into cubase and then use tubifex in a powercore x8. Might be out of your price range though, but it works really well, handles hi-z input or line inputs, has low latency, and lots of tweakability.

• 2 years later...
  • Members

This is an ancient thread, but two things causing me to bump:

1. Can't say enough good things about the GS-10 myself; tremendous, tremendous piece of gear. I'm thinking of buying another off eBay just because I don't know what I'd do with myself if my current one got sick.

2. Any other GS-10 enthusiasts have any resources ... like a GS-10 forum on Roland, or something? I've had mine for years, and I'm STILL finding new tricks to perform with it.

• Members

The GT-5 didn't really get me like the GS-10. I'm pretty familiar with Boss gear, and IMHO think they get a bad rap, though no one's going to mistake them for boutique. I have an ME-50 as well as a bunch of other things that are good, basic gear.

But the GS-10 sure feels boutique-y. First, I've *never* had *any* issues with it, ever. Every single feature has always worked. Never had a weird sound come out, a failure ... it simply works. The sounds are very rich, and the features very, very well-conceived.

Think I just talked myself into buying another ...

• Members

The GT-5 didn't really get me like the GS-10. I'm pretty familiar with Boss gear, and IMHO think they get a bad rap, though no one's going to mistake them for boutique. I have an ME-50 as well as a bunch of other things that are good, basic gear.

But the GS-10 sure feels boutique-y. First, I've *never* had *any* issues with it, ever. Every single feature has always worked. Never had a weird sound come out, a failure ... it simply works. The sounds are very rich, and the features very, very well-conceived.

Think I just talked myself into buying another ...

Archived