"Stand Alone" MIDI Expression pedal?

The Dog Boy

• Members

I am looking for a "stand alone" MIDI expression pedal....all the pedals I have found so far are always part of a huge floorboard...such as the Behringer FCB1010 Midi Foot Controller. Either that or they are just "analog" expression pedals that plug into a 1/4" jack on the back of another unit that transmits MIDI. I just need a pedal with it's own MIDI in/out/thru jacks that will transmit MIDI controller messages,(volume in particular). I don't have the space or the need for a complete floorboard. Any recommendations?

I recently purchased a Sonuus G2M universal guitar to MIDI converter, and I would like to use it in conjunction with a pedal for more expressive capability.

• Members

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodped.htm

ped.jpg

MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller

The Pedal Controller accepts an expression pedal (such as the Yamaha FC7 or Roland EV-5 or any potentiometer connected to a 1/4" stereo phone plug) as an input and generates continuous MIDI data based on its position. The Pedal Controller may be inserted inline at any point in the MIDI data stream, allowing you to send continuous controller information to any device in your MIDI setup.

The Pedal Controller's factory default settings are for it to send CC#7 (volume) on MIDI channel 1, so if this is what you need the Pedal Controller to do then no programming is necessary - just insert the Pedal Controller in your setup and it's ready to use. The Pedal Controller can also be programmed to send other types of MIDI messages, for more info read on...

The Pedal Controller can be programmed to send:

Aftertouch

Pitch Bend

Control Change

System Exclusive

The Pedal Controller has a MIDI Echo parameter that is selectable on/off.

The Pedal Controller accurately tracks the position of the pedal or potentiometer connected to it. Small fluctuations are eliminated when the pedal is in a stationary position and no extraneous messages are sent out. When the pedal is moved slightly, the Pedal Controller will send an update even if its position has only changed by a single value. Many control wheels or knobs only update themselves every two or every four values, resulting in coarser control, and sometimes zipper noise.

Another unique feature of the Pedal Controller is its ability to add a variable amount of curvature to the response of the pedal. This allows you to correct for pedals with nonlinear responses, or to add greater response at one end of the pedal compared to the other.

The Pedal Controller is programmed by sending it MIDI System Exclusive messages (see FAQs - Programming). Once programmed, its settings are retained even after power is removed. The Pedal Controller can be reprogrammed with new settings as often as needed. The Pedal Controller's factory default settings are for it to send CC #7 (volume) on MIDI channel 1, with the Echo parameter set to ON.

The Pedal Controller is MIDI-powered, and requires no batteries or power supply to operate with most MIDI products (see FAQs - Power and FAQs - LED for more information). A MIDI indicator LED lights up when the product is powered and flashes when MIDI data passes through it.

weight: 4.1 oz.

dimensions: 4-3/16" x 2-3/16" x 1-3/32"

• Members

http://www.midisolutions.com/prodped.htm

ped.jpg

MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller

The Pedal Controller accepts an expression pedal (such as the Yamaha FC7 or Roland EV-5 or any potentiometer connected to a 1/4" stereo phone plug) as an input and generates continuous MIDI data based on its position. The Pedal Controller may be inserted inline at any point in the MIDI data stream, allowing you to send continuous controller information to any device in your MIDI setup.

The Pedal Controller's factory default settings are for it to send CC#7 (volume) on MIDI channel 1, so if this is what you need the Pedal Controller to do then no programming is necessary - just insert the Pedal Controller in your setup and it's ready to use. The Pedal Controller can also be programmed to send other types of MIDI messages, for more info read on...

The Pedal Controller can be programmed to send:

Aftertouch

Pitch Bend

Control Change

System Exclusive

The Pedal Controller has a MIDI Echo parameter that is selectable on/off.

The Pedal Controller accurately tracks the position of the pedal or potentiometer connected to it. Small fluctuations are eliminated when the pedal is in a stationary position and no extraneous messages are sent out. When the pedal is moved slightly, the Pedal Controller will send an update even if its position has only changed by a single value. Many control wheels or knobs only update themselves every two or every four values, resulting in coarser control, and sometimes zipper noise.

Another unique feature of the Pedal Controller is its ability to add a variable amount of curvature to the response of the pedal. This allows you to correct for pedals with nonlinear responses, or to add greater response at one end of the pedal compared to the other.

The Pedal Controller is programmed by sending it MIDI System Exclusive messages (see FAQs - Programming). Once programmed, its settings are retained even after power is removed. The Pedal Controller can be reprogrammed with new settings as often as needed. The Pedal Controller's factory default settings are for it to send CC #7 (volume) on MIDI channel 1, with the Echo parameter set to ON.

The Pedal Controller is MIDI-powered, and requires no batteries or power supply to operate with most MIDI products (see FAQs - Power and FAQs - LED for more information). A MIDI indicator LED lights up when the product is powered and flashes when MIDI data passes through it.

weight: 4.1 oz.

dimensions: 4-3/16" x 2-3/16" x 1-3/32"

This looks pretty good! :) Since it requires no batteries or power supply and is MIDI-powered, does that mean it would receive it's power from the Sonuus G2M that I have? The signal chain would be as follows: Guitar-Sonuus G2M-MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller-Computer....would that work?

Thanks for the quick response.

• Members

Most just get a used Roland GR-20 and GK3A combo for $250 off ebay.

How does the tracking on the Roland synths compare with, let's say, the Axon AX100 or AX50?

I don't really have any need for internal sounds on whatever set-up I end up buying because I am just going it in the studio to drive VST synths/samples.

• Members

How does the tracking on the Roland synths compare with, let's say, the Axon AX100 or AX50?

I don't really have any need for internal sounds on whatever set-up I end up buying because I am just going it in the studio to drive VST synths/samples.

IT DOESN'T!

I had the GR-20 and now own an AX-50 because the GR-20's MIDI-out might as well not even be recognized as a main feature because it's so horrible. The AX-50 is great for reaction time (next to 0 lag) but they all suffer from horrible ground-loop interference if you're using the instrument-out port as well.

• Members

I am looking for a "stand alone" MIDI expression pedal....all the pedals I have found so far are always part of a huge floorboard...such as the Behringer FCB1010 Midi Foot Controller. Either that or they are just "analog" expression pedals that plug into a 1/4" jack on the back of another unit that transmits MIDI. I just need a pedal with it's own MIDI in/out/thru jacks that will transmit MIDI controller messages,(volume in particular). I don't have the space or the need for a complete floorboard. Any recommendations?

I recently purchased a Sonuus G2M universal guitar to MIDI converter, and I would like to use it in conjunction with a pedal for more expressive capability.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/stealthpedal/features/

• Members

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/stealthpedal/features/

Wow! this looks like a contender...to say the least. A really good all in one solution. Thanks for the info Handen :thu:

One more question for Elantric. Do I need to have a specific "Expression" pedal to plug into the Midi Solutions pedal controller? or can I use any pedal...for example, an Ernie Ball volume pedal or similar?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I have an old Digitech MC2 MIDI pedal that is exactly what your looking for, but it's not for sale, sorry. :)

It has two knobs for MIDI channel and CC value (only 0 - 15 though) and eats batteries like no tomorrow (barely lasts one gig).

Digitech also made sure that it would only take their proprietary adapter and those are no longer in production. :mad:

• Members

FWIW - Stealth pedal is an interface for a PC/Mac - had no MIDI I/O and does not work "stand alone".

Yes the MIDI Solutions box is compatible with Ernie Ball Pedal.

email them for a User Manual.

read the manual

http://www.midisolutions.com/faqs.htm

--

Yes the Digitech MC2 MIDI pedal was precisely what you seek

I still vote to Sell the Sonuus G2M , buy a used Roland GR-33 & GK3A

http://cgi.ebay.com/Roland-GR-33-Guitar-MIDI-Synth-GK-2A-Pickup-GR33-GK2A_W0QQitemZ260517194415QQcmdZViewItemQQptZKeyboards_MIDI?hash=item3ca808eaaf#ht_500wt_1182

The Roland triggers its internal sounds very fast.

It only "lags" when driving the MIDI Out Port.

Other solutions are more $$.

Myself - I've tried them all - I'm happy with my VG-99 - use its internal sounds - ( zero lag) and can trigger external sounds in my Macbook Pro via MIDI over USB, or 5pin MIDI out.

buy used under $750

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=vg-99

• 1 month later...
  • Members

FWIW - Stealth pedal is an interface for a PC/Mac - had no MIDI I/O and does not work "stand alone".

Yes the MIDI Solutions box is compatible with Ernie Ball Pedal.

email them for a User Manual.

read the manual

--

Yes the Digitech MC2 MIDI pedal was precisely what you seek

I still vote to Sell the Sonuus G2M , buy a used Roland GR-33 & GK3A

The Roland triggers its internal sounds very fast.

It only "lags" when driving the MIDI Out Port.

Other solutions are more $$.

Myself - I've tried them all - I'm happy with my VG-99 - use its internal sounds - ( zero lag) and can trigger external sounds in my Macbook Pro via MIDI over USB, or 5pin MIDI out.

buy used under $750

Therein lies the problem...I am more interested in triggering soft synths stored on my computer than the internal sounds of a Roland synth...

• Members

I'm using an expression pedal in two ways. In both cases I'm using Boss FV-500L's.

To trigger soft-synths I run one of my GK-equipped guitars into a GI-20 with the expression pedal plugged in the back. I'll also throw a Boss FS-5U into this config for hold functions.

For my software-based looping rig (MacBook Pro, Ableton Live v8, SooperLooper) I run a Tech 21 MIDI Moose and Boss FV-500L into a MIDI Solutions Pedal Controller then into a mBox 2. This config breaks down nicely for travel.

Both setups work great for me, as always, your mileage may vary.

Archived