INTRODUCING...the AXE FX II

mygolfcart123

• Members

I do not know if you guys have heard, they just announced it a little while ago on the fractal forums.

The axe fx II

It has USB and headphone outs plus twice the power of the axe fx ultra.

Price? $2,199.00

THERE WILL BE NO WAITING LIST.

So I am taking that as saying..... get ready to WAIT to click on a button again and HOPE you can purchase one.

Man, some people on the fractal forums said they waited a YEAR for an ultra....I wonder how long it will take to get one of these? I also wonder how those same people feel now?

• Members

What do you mean when you say twice the power?

Yes, buy the new one and sell the old one... to me.
:love::idea:

Have you ever TRIED to buy an axe fx when they were new? Not a lot of them out there then....I have a feeling that the exact same thing is going to happen now. People are going to get all excited about buying a new axe fx II, sell off the gear they have....and then find out that they are in limited quantities and there is not enough for everyone...so those guys that sold everything are left with basically NOTHING.

Don't think it is gonna happen? Watch and see!

As for me? I am waiting a year until, I get my income tax check and THEN after I have read all about the new unit make a decision on weather or not I want to buy one. Of course by then they may have an axe fx II ULTRA and then the guys that bought the axe fx II will be upset because their unit is just a year old...LOL!

So while your suggestion SOUNDS simple in reality it is not as simple as that. Because fractal is such a small company, they cannot make huge quanities for everyone that wants one. Thus you will have winners and losers...the ones able to buy one and those not able to buy one.

• Members

AFter reading the specs on the AXE-FX, I was a little underwhelmed. To be honest, the amp modeling sounds AMAZING to me, but it lacks some cool features on the effects side. For that much $$$ I guess I'd stick with more flexible solutions...:idk:

• Members

AFter reading the specs on the AXE-FX, I was a little underwhelmed. To be honest, the amp modeling sounds AMAZING to me, but it lacks some cool features on the effects side. For that much $$$ I guess I'd stick with more flexible solutions...
:idk:

Reading and hearing are two different things. Even the standard and ultra are fantastic, well above the competition.

• Members

Reading and hearing are two different things. Even the standard and ultra are fantastic, well above the competition.

No, the bottom line is that the Axe FX is very limited on effects compared to what you get with something like a Boss GT-10, even if the amp models are light years ahead. I think it depends on your focus and what you want.

• Members

No, the bottom line is that the Axe FX is very limited on effects compared to what you get with something like a Boss GT-10, even if the amp models are light years ahead. I think it depends on your focus and what you want.

Funny I've owned an Ultra for about 3 years now and limited is not an adjective I would use in describing its effects capabilities. Heck a lot of guys are using the effects only and not the amp models because they are fairly easy to program and sound great. So now I'm curious, how much time did you spend with an Ultra before drawing your conclusion?

• Members

What do you mean when you say twice the power?

The Axe-FX Ultra uses a single TigerSHARC DSP Processor. It splits the load of effects and amp modeling. The Axe-FX II uses 2 TigerSHARC processors with one dedicated to amp modeling and another dedicated to effects only.

• Members

Funny I've owned an Ultra for about 3 years now and limited is not an adjective I would use in describing its effects capabilities. Heck a lot of guys are using the effects only and not the amp models because they are fairly easy to program and sound great. So now I'm curious, how much time did you spend with an Ultra before drawing your conclusion?

I don't need to spend any time with it, all you have to do is read the specs - my point isn't about the SOUND of the unit, it's about FEATURES. How is that SLICER effect on the AXE-FX? How many patterns does it hold? What about the AUTO RIFF sequencer effect found in the BOSS GT-10 - how many user definable RIFFS does the AXE FX hold?

You see where I'm going with this? While those effects might not be "standard fare" for most guitar players -that's just two off the top of my head. I'm sure the AXE FX sounds great, and will cover most bases for most people - but it still doesn't look like an "all in one" solution to me just yet or else I would seriously go ahead and buy it and sell my other gear. :idk:

• Members

Dude you are embarrassing yourself! Do you even know what the axe fx is capable of ? OR what has went into it?

You should read up on it and become more informed before making such statements.

Lets just say that a LOT of pro and semi pro guitarists have given up their lexicon and eventide units for it. Why? Because the effects ALONE match what eventide and lexicon units do and those are used in major studios. Not to mention the modeling which is light years ahead of Boss, line 6 etc.

A GT 10 is not even close! Sorry.

• Members

I see where you are going. You like the looper and slicer functions of the Boss. The Axe-FX while having a looper function does not have the ability to store multiple riffs or slice them up. Fair Enough. Not sure if that alone makes the axe-fx limited or inferior in some way though. A Crate Flexwave 15 practice amp has CD inputs. Higher end guitar amps like Mesa, Marshall, Bogner, Engl etc...don't have them...doesn't make them limited like you say. Apples and oranges.

• Members

Pezguy- It wasn't so much that "I liked those features" so much as that when people tout something as a complete solution or that "nothing else compares" the comparison isn't very specific. :) So, I just like people to be more specific. I'm not saying the AXE-FX is "inferior" by ANY means.

Mygolfcart- I've been reading about the AXE-FX for a long time. I don't care how many professional guitar players have chosen the AXE-FX. I'm sure it does what THEY need it to do, and I have no doubt that it sounds fantastic, just based on what I've heard online. But it's far from a "complete solution" as many keep touting it. Can it replace an MXR Phase 45 with two stage phasing? What about my DiceWorks Muff Diver Finale? I don't know- but I'm not going to spend more than 2K to find out I was just as happy with a $400 multieffect/modeler and a couple of old fashioned pedals. I don't know, maybe the AXE-FX is so programmable that it can model all of those things - maybe it doesn't matter to most people. I'm just saying for that much $$$...I'd stick with more flexible solutions. That's all :idk:

• Members

Can it replace an MXR Phase 45 with two stage phasing? What about my DiceWorks Muff Diver Finale?

Again like I said the FIRST TIME, the effects are comprable to eventide and lexicon units...so YES I think it could model your pedals just fine.

But different strokes for different folks. You have to choose what is best for you, but that does NOT limit what the axe fx can do.

• Members

The Vetta II was a great amp in it's day, but still was nowhere near what an axe fx can do. I KNOW THIS FOR A FACT! I owned one!

The Vetta II was a great amp in it's day, but still was nowhere near what a POD HD500 running 1.31 can do. I know this for a fact. I've owned both.

AXE-FX is truly an awesome unit

• Members

Well I have heard both the HD 500 and the axe fx in examples on the web and believe it IS light years ahead, different opinions I guess. Now that I own one, I can hear it for myself.

Don't put too much faith in compressed YouTube or MP3 demos. The real test is a double-blind A/B test, and several clients (one of whom swore up and down that the Axe-FX destroyed everything else) ended up choosing the POD HD. Not a vast majority, but certainly enough to make a statement.

That said, if Fractal made a plug-in version, I'd be all over it in a heartbeat.

• Members

Don't put too much faith in compressed YouTube or MP3 demos. The real test is a double-blind A/B test, and several clients (one of whom swore up and down that the Axe-FX
destroyed
everything else) ended up choosing the POD HD. Not a vast majority, but certainly enough to make a statement.

That said, if Fractal made a plug-in version, I'd be all over it in a heartbeat.

Well call it what you want, but from what I heard... compressed or not.... the difference WAS huge!

And for everyone you point out that could not tell the difference I could point out tests of people that could. The axe fx did not get it's reputation because it sounded like everything else, it sounded way better. That is how Cliff got his reputation.

The guy put over 50 thousand lines of code into the first axe fx standard. He said he nearly got arthritis from it. I believe him when I hear an axe fx.

I have said this before....line 6 opened the door to modeling, but Fractal Audio walked through it!

Nothing out today even comes close to an axe fx I not to mention the axe fx II he just introduced.

• Members

Well call it what you want, but from what I heard... compressed or not.... the difference WAS huge!

And for everyone you point out that could not tell the difference I could point out tests of people that could. The axe fx did not get it's reputation because it sounded like everything else, it sounded way better. That is how Cliff got his reputation.

The guy put over 50 thousand lines of code into the first axe fx standard. He said he nearly got arthritis from it. I believe him when I hear an axe fx.

I have said this before....line 6 opened the door to modeling, but Fractal Audio walked through it!

Nothing out today even comes close to an axe fx I not to mention the axe fx II he just introduced.

OMG! 50 thousand lines of code! We all know that Code sounds FANTASTIC! What if I like the sound of VINTAGE code? You know, from say 2000?? ;)

Seriously? The AXE FX is definitely a game changer, and everything I've heard sounds fantastic, but I think you are missing the point. You are telling me that I need a $2200 rack box and hours upon hours of my own programming to successfully "model" an $80 pedal. :lol: The AXE-FX is most likely OVERKILL for a lot of people, and while the amp modeling may very well be the best thing coming and going, many guitar players like the sound of individual pedals, the personality of different things all working together - and despite your assertions about the effects, I don't think an Eventide is going to ACCURATELY model the sound of say, an EH PolyChorus or the Phase45, or even my Korg G4 Rotary Speaker simulator. Why? Because even if the AXE offers the "most accurate" Rotary Sim of all time (which I doubt) it still wont sound like the KORG.

Do you see my point here? What I DO like about the AXE (and has had me tempted to purchase one!) is that it seems to be well implemented and have proper effects loops and things to work with other units.

But you are valuing the AXE FX on an arbitrary set of values: Your own. Everyone has different needs and values different things, for example when the POD says it models several different kinds of WAH pedals, and Fasel inductors etc... some people are going to be very excited about that - I never use a WAH, ever, so to me I don't care a bit about how "accurate" a particular wah model is. :idk:

• Members

Everyone has different needs and values different things, for example when the POD says it models several different kinds of WAH pedals, and Fasel inductors etc... some people are going to be very excited about that - I never use a WAH, ever, so to me I don't care a bit about how "accurate" a particular wah model is.
:idk:

I NEVER SAID people DID NOT have different needs! Quit putting words in my mouth!

I stated before and will state again that the axe fx 1 not to mention the II CAN model all the pedals you speak of! If you don't want to use it that is up to you. But again it has nothing to DO with the capibility of the unit.

• Members

Of course I'm judging the AXE FX on my own needs- that has been my entire point! From my first post I stated that "for that much money I would stick with more flexible solutions." :idk: what is so hard to understand about that?

Where I will call absolute BULL{censored} on you is your stating that the AXE FX has a two stage phaser in it. It does NOT, if you knew the unit as well as you claim to, you would n't be making such horribly inaccurate statements. So score one for the MXR Phase 45 vs the AXE FX!

And that really illustrates my problem with your posts GolfCart - there are positions of "opinion" such as "the modeling is light years ahead of anything else" - which can't really be quantified except by subjective listening tests. And then there are statements of FACT - "YES, the AXE FX does two stage phasing." Which are easily quantifiable as WRONG. :cop: So, the good news is that it looks like the AXE FX is open ended enough that they can ADD a model of a two phase phaser to the unit after the fact when they release an update- at least, that's my impression, which is quite cool.

:thu:

Archived