Ableton Live Looping Setup

ambys

• Members

Hi, I was wondering if HC has any other loopers who use Ableton Live for it and do everything in real time? I recently ditched my Gibson Echoplex, DD-20 (sos) and Jamman to set up a live looping setup with a 2006 Mac Mini, Ableton Suite 8, an M-Audio ProjectMix I/O controller/interface (got a steal for $400!) and a Beheringer FCB1010 foot controller.

So far I have only done a basic setup with three tracks (drums, guitar, vocals), each with a looper effect built into it and triggered by my FCB1010, but I'm so happy with it - so much more powerful than any hardware looper I've found and the multi-tracking possibilities are endless. Curious if there are other folks here with more elaborate and automated looping setups that I could learn from. Anybody else use Ableton like this?

• Members

I am just beginning this endeavor myself and am here to say that this thread is pertinent to my interests.

So far I am working with a similar setup as yourself. 21.5" iMac with Ableton Suite 8 and a Phonic Firefly 808. I am getting my FCB1010 soon...however my initial experiments with the Ableton Looper have been overwhelmingly positive.

I would like to have some hand control in addition to the FCB1010. I've been looking at the Novation LaunchPad for launching clips and such. I have a Korg padKONTROL right now that I use to trigger loops and such...though I'd rather devote that to an Akai MPC type device. I'd like to get an Arturia Analog Factory Laboratory midi controller...as well as the included soft synths. I need to find a MIDI controller with faders to control the levels of different loops going in the looper...I've looked at the Behringer BCF2000, but I don't know how much faith I have in Behringer products. Don't want any fires starting in my house. :p

As for future additions; I'd really like to get an Axon AX50 Guitar-MIDI converter incorporated so I can play softsynths from Ableton...and possibly Reason and hell, maybe Logic as well. All of which would be run through Ableton's Looper, obviously. Playing arpeggiated synths and drums with my guitar would be so ridiculous. I'd also like to incorporate effects which have their parameters controlled via MIDI. Such as the Moog MIDI MuRF, the Gig-FX Pro Chop, EHX HOG, and the Adrenalinn all come to mind. Also other computer software such as Guitar Rig 4...just as an example. Maybe once I move into a larger place I'll get an electric drum kit as well...or better yet an acoustic drum kit with triggers and some electric drum pads.

To top it all off, way in the future, I hope to start using Max for Live to allow me to program my own plugins, effects, synths, arpeggiators, etc and utilize them in Ableton. Use Arduino to build more effective control systems for software instruments and such. In addition to this, I'd like to use MIDI controlled light switching and write some simple software or just build off of Open Sound Control that allows me to sync video both live from the performance and prerecorded clips and alter them based upon whatever parameters I so choose. Hybrid VJ'ing/Live Coding/Actual Instruments. I'd also like to get into utilizing programs such as MATlab as a simple tone generator and then modulate the tones based upon equations or sequences. Maybe develop some sort of plug in to actually display the programming on some sort of projection screen or something, in conjunction with other overlaid visualizations and/or prerecorded clips. Possibly assign different sets of visualizations, modulations, etc based upon loops and scenes from ableton...carried out through Max for Live.

This last part gets a little bit out of my current realm of understanding, but I'm trying to learn how to get there. I'm a Physics/Math major, so it would be pretty sweet to utilize the programming skills and knowledge base from that and inject it into my creative process.

When you start tying the computer into music the possibilities really become infinite...and this is definitely an exciting and mentally stimulating endeavor you and I both seem to be getting to.

• Members

I plan to get a SoftStep to use as a foot controller for Ableton. Then, I'll try looping with Ableton's own Looper plugin and also looping by recording straight to clips, which is a method preferred by some Ableton loopers such as Kid Beyond.

At that time I'll get back to this thread with my report...

• Members

I've looked into the SoftStep. I actually prefer the Behringer FCB1010...based on reading and reviews. The softstep seems pretty cool, but if I were to buy something from McMillen it would be their violin to midi conversion system.
:p

The Behringer is more affordable, but the SoftStep has features that interest me which are not in the Behringer.

Some people have upgraded from the Behringer to Gordius. Gordius makes the Little Giant which is meant to be an add-on for the FCB1010, plus their own foot controllers.

• Members

The Behringer is more affordable, but the SoftStep has features that interest me which are not in the Behringer.

Some people have upgraded from the Behringer to Gordius. Gordius makes the Little Giant which is meant to be an add-on for the FCB1010, plus their own foot controllers.

Thanks for the tip. The Little Giant looks like an interesting addition to the FCB. Considering I don't even have the FCB yet, it might be a little while...but I'll definitely keep it in mind.

• Members

I building my own simple foot controller with one of these:

http://highlyliquid.com/midi-controllers/midi-cpu/

It's almost done and the support from highlyliquid to customize the firmware is top notch. I made a simple enclosure and it will have 6 switches to send a midi note on/off to Ableton to control multiple instances of the looper effect.

I went this route after researching a lot of foot controllers. Most send program change messages and Ableton "midi learn" doesn't respond to PC messages only Note on/off and CC.

The PC board is only 46 bucks I found some cheap NO momentary switches at all electronics.com for 2.75/piece and my Pops made me a simple aluminum enclosure. It's all powered via 9v battery! It's almost done, switches should be here tomorrow!!!!!

Archived