analog multi effect - Vintage Revolution PedalPro

RogerAxetrample

• Members

It sounds pretty cool, but I think it might be a bit too late to the market for the price. $3,200 USD is a big chunk o change.

Plus while I could see pressure sensitive pads being useful, not having dedicated hard switches I think will be a turn off to a lot of people.

• Members

It sounds pretty cool, but I think it might be a bit too late to the market for the price. $3,200 USD is a big chunk o change.

Plus while I could see pressure sensitive pads being useful, not having dedicated hard switches I think will be a turn off to a lot of people.

Hi Sonik,

thanks for replying.

I think the price is justified at the moment you actually play it yourself and feel and hear what comes back at you in terms of pure tone.

I guess there will always be mental barriers in this section of the market. But they went a long way to build the 'Rolls Royce of multi-effects', uncompromisingly, and that comes at a price.

Those hard switches, that everyone use, come with two big disadvantages: they break, and they produce a click sound. The only way to overcome that was with these pressure pads. Those had to be patented right away as i understand, it was something totally new at that point. They work great, never had trouble and some of my switch-equipped pedals had switches break so i was never into those normal switches anyway.

R

• Members

The pressure pads are cool, but using one pad to select one of three presets is not a good idea - I don't think that's very effective for live use (you need to look back at the unit to see where you are and quick changes don't seem very easy). A floorboard with more pressure pads might actually be a very successful product if it could be used with other digital devices (like the Axe FX or Eleven Rack).

As for the unit itself, it's a cool idea, but I don't think you'll get much traction - $3200 is crazy expensive (the Axe FX II is much less and that unit has a limited market due to its price).

The real killer, though is that you have just saddled people with your choices of the "best" analog devices - look at these forums to see the level of disagreement over which old school chorus or analog delay is the best . . . . You're asking people to pay $3200 for a fixed set of analog devices, some of which may not be the preferred circuit of the buyer. They could go and spend the same amount of money (or maybe more) to get a Voodoo lab Ground Control system and select each of their favorite analog devices (granted, with some limitations on the ability to control the units remotely). This is especially true for the distortion functions - everyone has a different "best distortion ever" . . . . If you could customize the analog circuit for each customer (i.e., small clone for me, Boss CE-1 for her), that might get you there.

I do like the range of modulation options - that adds a lot of flexibility that may get people past some of the other inherent limitations.

• Members

Personally, I really like the concept. The price is a little high, but would pay for it if many of the FX sound great (the phaser in your video sounds damn good).

But, that foot controller is a deal-breaker. It's not going to suffice playing live.

My suggestion is to redesign the foot controller to have 10 individual switches (or pads) for instantaneous switching within a bank for:

Preset #1

Preset #2

Preset #3

Preset #4

Preset #5

Scroll Up to a new bank of five presets (doesn't have to be instantaneous)

Scroll Down to a new bank of five presets (doesn't have to be instantaneous)

Double Scroll Up (two banks up) to a new bank of five presets (doesn't have to be instantaneous)

Double Scroll Down (two banks down) to a new bank of five presets (doesn't have to be instantaneous)

Tuner (mutes the signal going to the amp for silent tuning)

And, of course the Pedal for wah and other modulation.

Plus have the foot controller have the ability to switch presets/scroll banks on my other MIDI devices (like my Eventide Orville) and I'd be your next customer.

Again, I really like the concept--love the foot pedal control of the wah/modulation ect. and the analog FX's configured/controlled by digital. But, for the price, it's far too limited in it's ability to control the unit (and my other units) in a live application.

Good luck.

Laser

• Members

Personally, I really like the concept. The price is a little high, but would pay for it if many of the FX sound great (the phaser in your video sounds damn good).

But, that foot controller is a deal-breaker. It's not going to suffice playing live.

My suggestion is to redesign the foot controller to have 10 individual switches (or pads) for instantaneous switching within a bank for:

Preset #1

Preset #2

Preset #3

Preset #4

Preset #5

Scroll Up to a new bank of five presets (doesn't have to be instantaneous)

Scroll Down to a new bank of five presets (doesn't have to be instantaneous)

Double Scroll Up (two banks up) to a new bank of five presets (doesn't have to be instantaneous)

Double Scroll Down (two banks down) to a new bank of five presets (doesn't have to be instantaneous)

Tuner (mutes the signal going to the amp for silent tuning)

And, of course the Pedal for wah and other modulation.

Plus have the foot controller have the ability to switch presets/scroll banks on my other MIDI devices (like my Eventide Orville) and I'd be your next customer.

Again, I really like the concept--love the foot pedal control of the wah/modulation ect. and the analog FX's configured/controlled by digital. But, for the price, it's far too limited in it's ability to control the unit (and my other units) in a live application.

Good luck.

Laser

Hey Laser, thanks

i saw you post this on the other forum as well, so here the answer i put there:

The footcontroller DOES control all other MIDI equipped devices, as the PedalPro has MIDI out and the PEdalPro itself is controlled by the footcontroller.

The way the footcontroller is set up so that you can do instanteneous switching between 18 presets (2 banks of nine presets, left pad switches banks, pads 2,3,4 access the nine presets per bank). That is in favourite mode.

In Normal mode, you can access 500 presets, where pads 2 and 4 navigate either 1, 10 or 100 steps up or down through the preset pool. Pad 3 loads the preset of choice.

In addition, in both modes, the left pad switches on either hard bypass or mute/tuning mode.

I said it before, but they choose to invent these pads because regular switches break (happened to me on various pedals including once during a gig) and make unwanted clicking noise.

The foot pedal can be any expression pedal you want, they all work. And you can assign any parameter in your preset to the pedal.

best,

Roger

• Members

The pressure pads are cool, but using one pad to select one of three presets is not a good idea - I don't think that's very effective for live use (you need to look back at the unit to see where you are and quick changes don't seem very easy). A floorboard with more pressure pads might actually be a very successful product if it could be used with other digital devices (like the Axe FX or Eleven Rack).

As for the unit itself, it's a cool idea, but I don't think you'll get much traction - $3200 is crazy expensive (the Axe FX II is much less and that unit has a limited market due to its price).

The real killer, though is that you have just saddled people with your choices of the "best" analog devices - look at these forums to see the level of disagreement over which old school chorus or analog delay is the best . . . . You're asking people to pay $3200 for a fixed set of analog devices, some of which may not be the preferred circuit of the buyer. They could go and spend the same amount of money (or maybe more) to get a Voodoo lab Ground Control system and select each of their favorite analog devices (granted, with some limitations on the ability to control the units remotely). This is especially true for the distortion functions - everyone has a different "best distortion ever" . . . . If you could customize the analog circuit for each customer (i.e., small clone for me, Boss CE-1 for her), that might get you there.

I do like the range of modulation options - that adds a lot of flexibility that may get people past some of the other inherent limitations.

Hey Mlabbee,

here's another sample from their site (.wav) that i've uploaded.

http://www.guitarhow.com/audio/delay_attack2_hi_res.wav

Hope you like it. More videos next month hopefully.

Quote: 'You're asking people to pay $3200 for a fixed set of analog devices, some of which may not be the preferred circuit of the buyer'

The idea is that people will still use some of their fav/signature pedals with the PedalPro. That's why it has 2 programmable, mixable loops (1 mono, 1 stereo) that are placed at seperate points in the signal chain. If you'd hook up a good digital reverb device, you can blend it in with the analog signal and have the best of both worlds!

As for the price, the PedalPro (analog!) and Pedalino controller together is $2660 USD, the Axe-FX II (digital!) is over $3000 if you want to have the matching footswitcher.

Maybe we'll do a one-to-one comparison with the Axe-FX ii in a video, would that be cool?

Best,

Roger

• 3 months later...
  • Members

My apologies to the op, but the idea has been done and more affordably:

Carl Martin Quattro

quattro_banner_review.jpg

http://www.carlmartin.com/product_quattro.htm

Tech-in-mind AGP-1 including modular choices of included effects starting at $389 USD

product03_33_00.jpg

http://www.tech-in-mind.com/product03_33_en.html

Perhaps someone would be interested in your product, but I'd think one could get any number of switching units and build a board piece meal for much less than that price.

• Members

My apologies to the op, but the idea has been done and more affordably:

Carl Martin Quattro

quattro_banner_review.jpg

http://www.carlmartin.com/product_quattro.htm

Tech-in-mind AGP-1 including modular choices of included effects starting at $389 USD

product03_33_00.jpg

http://www.tech-in-mind.com/product03_33_en.html

Perhaps someone would be interested in your product, but I'd think one could get any number of switching units and build a board piece meal for much less than that price.

Hi,

the Carl Martin is not programmable.

AGP-1, looks cool, first time i see it. I do not know if it's comparable to the PedalPro system though (quality, features, sound etc).

R

• Members

I think it's very cool...but at $2600 US, you are looking at a very small segment of the market. While it may be "worth the price" in terms of WHAT IT IS in parts, labor, etc... you are are going to have a very tough time making the case for that unit to be "worth the price" in terms of "actual value" to most players, especially when digital software and devices sound so good these days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I think it's very cool...but at $2600 US, you are looking at a very small segment of the market. While it may be "worth the price" in terms of WHAT IT IS in parts, labor, etc... you are are going to have a very tough time making the case for that unit to be "worth the price" in terms of "actual value" to most players, especially when digital software and devices sound so good these days.

Hi Bryan,

thanks, that's a good point. A lot of people commented that for them the price, even while completely realistic, was too high. So the good news is that the company now decided to reduce the price, from 2100 to 1680 euro ex VAT. That's about 2125 USD.

I think that finally the analog sound will win a lot of people over. Digital software and devices, even at stage, are still a compromise in terms of sound quality. There seems to be a trend going where people are actually abandoning digital for analog technology. That counts for guitar fx as well as for studio recording etc.

New video:

best, thanks

Roger

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

A floorboard with more pressure pads might actually be a very successful product if it could be used with other digital devices (like the Axe FX or Eleven Rack).

Hi again mlabbee,

here's a new vid showing how to control other devices using the footcontroller. This involves MIDI and both fx loops:

[video=youtube;XM2RF8SqqIU]

Take care,

R

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived