Any of you got any experience with the VG 99?

sfarfsky

• Members

I had one. LOVED IT EXCEPT...no effects loop.

Roland has really missed the boat IMO on all of their gear by not including a stereo effects loop in the unit and a proper computer based editor for their flagship Boss GT processors and the VG-99.

Why? I'd like the ability to ADD external effects units to the VG or GT unit and I want t be able to edit it with a mouse and {censored}. It's as simple as that. I went from the VG-99 to a Line 6 HD Pro setup. Yeah, I know, not the same thing - but I have more faith that Line 6 will listen to their customer base in the long run. ROLAND GET A CLUE! I MISS YOU!

Other than that, the unit itself is fantastic and IMO a vast improvement on the VG-88 V2 I had.

• Members

VG-99 owner here. An effects loop would be nice to have, but I've gotten by fine with putting a fuzz pedal in front and/or using a signal splitter so one signal goes through the VG and the other goes through pedal effects. I can't put the fuzz in front of a virtual baritone-tuned guitar though so that's unfortunate.

One effect the VG-99 does not do as well as the analog equivalent is oscillating fuzz, but reproducing the unpredictable behavior of analog fuzz circuitry (wild harmonic arpeggios, random octave note behavior, etc.) does not seem to be a priority with those who design and implement modelers like the VG-99, Line 6's stuff, etc.

Still, it's a very useful tool. Being able to switch tunings instantly is great, the amp models respond to tweaks to the guitar volume knob like real amps, etc.

I've never had to use the software editor. I've found front panel patch edits pretty easy after I got used to the hardware UI. And if your tastes are like mine, be prepared to do quite a bit of editing - most of the overdrive/distortion patches have excessive gain, as if Roland thought all VG-99 users will play heavy metal.

• Members

I have a VG-99 and its an amazing tool. I generally trigger mine with a Roland-ready Strat, although I also have GK2A synth pickup mounted on my PRS Santana SE that is equipped with a Sustainiac. I like the fact that you can also plug a regular guitar into the VG-99 with a 1/4" cable and use it as an effects processor, although you don't get all the features that way. The guitar and amp modeling on the VG-99 are great, as are the effects. The only thing I wish it had was a wider array of synth sounds, pads, etc. The synth sounds that are in it are based on a very early Roland guitar synth (GR300 perhaps) and are not the kind I generally like to use. Although I have heard some very interesting sounds posted here by more advanced users who have done extensive programming. I still have my GR-33 though, which gives me a lot of what I'm looking for synth-wise. But overall the VG-99 is quite a piece of technology.

• Members

Yes, for me the big disappointment is the effects loop and the amp modeling falls a little short for me as well. I guess nothing is perfect. THe POD HD I have now has a full stereo effects loop, which is a good thing because some of the effects suck compared to Roland/BOSS :D

• Members

I actually like the VG-99 amp models that I use. Well, I use certain models because I like them, anyway. :)

I do find I have to tweak them quite a bit to get the sounds and response to picking dynamics that I want - mostly the gain settings. I swear every overdrive/distortion patch on the VG-99 has the amp model gain set to 90+. I usually turn the gain down to around 60-70, because I'm not really a metal guy. Sometimes I will turn the amp gain even lower than 60 to set it on edge-of-breakup, then use either a virtual overdrive or my real fuzz pedal in front to push the virtual amp, just like I'd use a pedal to push a real tube amp.

Maybe the POD HD comes with amp presets that are more usable out of the box (ie. not preprogrammed for metalheads only). It sounds like a good enough fit for guitarists who just want an an amp modeler, and could care less about the synths, instant retunings, etc.

• Members

I actually like the VG-99 amp models that I use. Well, I use certain models because I like them, anyway.
:)

I do find I have to tweak them quite a bit to get the sounds and response to picking dynamics that I want - mostly the gain settings. I swear every overdrive/distortion patch on the VG-99 has the amp model gain set to 90+. I usually turn the gain down to around 60-70, because I'm not really a metal guy. Sometimes I will turn the amp gain even lower than 60 to set it on edge-of-breakup, then use either a virtual overdrive or my real fuzz pedal in front to push the virtual amp, just like I'd use a pedal to push a real tube amp.

Maybe the POD HD comes with amp presets that are more usable out of the box (ie. not preprogrammed for metalheads only). It sounds like a good enough fit for guitarists who just want an an amp modeler, and could care less about the synths, instant retunings, etc.

Yes, that's really it. The amp models are really quite a bit better than the Roland stuff, however I always liked the Roland Fender models quite a bit :idk: But all the other stuff that the VG-99 can do makes it really a different beast, which is why it's so disappointing to that it didn't have an effects loop! THen you could loop in your favorite overdrives, delays, or hell even Line 6 HD processor and have the best of both worlds!

• Members

Yeah I have tons of experience with it and have gigged numerous times with it to excellent effect and I've programmed dozens of patches for the box. Despite the fact that it's not the newest kid on the block there are some things it does that nothing else I know of can do and some people who say it can't do certain things have been proven wrong several times since I've owned the box.

It's deep as the ocean and can do a hell of a lot. I've just finished my third CD project that is all VG-99 for a soundtrack for PBS in the U.S. and Norwegian Television outside the states. I've also managed to come up with some rock patches to get that kind of feedback you'd get where the guitar and amp interact which I've never gotten on a modeler before but this does it great.

I use a GK3 pickup attached to my stratocaster to drive it and have the FC-300 footpedal as well.

The editor benefits from having a large screen. I have a 27" + 23" and with all the windows open it takes up a good bit of the real estate - the double effects chain is part of the magic.

It's a great piece of equipment - it's got a cult following. Just ask Vernon Reid, Adrian Belew and Frank Gambale.

I've posted this before but here is my VG-99 with no external synth modules or anything, just internal processing:

td2lR5WXOQ0

Having two parallel effects chains made me think that I could incorporate my regular guitar rig which I do for rock gigs but the patches I've come up lately are dead ringers for my analog guitar rig for the most part.

• Members

Yeah, it'd be nice to patch my Paul Trombetta Tornita fuzz between, say, a virtual baritone guitar, and delay/reverb in the VG-99, but I've already gone down the path of splitting my guitar signal and having one going into a pedal rig, in parallel with the VG-99.

I know at least one of the TC Electronic multieffects pedals has an effects loop, which is pretty cool. I think it's the model Steve Vai uses, and he patches in his signature wah pedal or something into it. But I don't feel compelled to invest in yet another multieffects unit when the VG meets so many of my needs already.

• Members

I got mine today and the first feeling i had was intimidation and the feeling of being overwhelmed :facepalm:

I don't have a synth axe yet but I ran through some of the presets. Maybe tomorrow I'll load up the software and play with it.

I didn't buy this thing to be another amp/cab simulator. They all fall short imo :idk:

• Members

Yeah - I got mine as a gift like 3 days before a major gig and I pretty quickly realized I wasn't going to be able to use it live right away.

I also realized that all of the factory presets weren't a good representation of what this box can do; and that they must have been whipped together during a frenzied all nighter before a big namm weekend by someone whose high-end in their hearing was all wrecked from years of playing high volume guitar. Very shrill.

The vguitarforums site has a number of patches that do the box justice and as more and more of us are learning how to make the box sit up and bark we have a large collection of usable patches.

And yes, to picture how things go internally the software on a computer will help give your mind a picture of how it all works inside. I know Bill has said he swears by the interface on the box since when he's in the studio he can't waste time fiddling with menus on a GUI when the bandleader is doing a countdown.

• Members

What do you guys recommend for an amp? I've concluded my 15 watt Spyder might not be the best amplification for this thing
:lol:

I currently use an Electro-Voice ZXA-1 powered speaker and will probably pick up a 2nd for stereo since my other Electro-Voice powered speaker (SXA 360) is on "permanent loan" to my housemate. I'd rather have a 2nd ZXA-1 anyway because it's smaller, more portable, and yet is a comparably powerful 800W.

I've also used the VG-99 with my Ampeg J-20 20W tube combo, which has a pleasantly "warm" tone, but is not ideal for acoustic guitar models, synths, or bass sounds, because of the more limited frequency response, and as we all know, prolonged usage of bass sounds will blow up guitar speakers.

Archived