You Rock midi guitar YRG-1000

Emory

• Members

Anyone tried one of these? They look like toys somewhat, but seem to have all the stuff one needs to do the midi thing without learning keyboard. Cheap (under $200) and seem impressive in just what they are capable of....

think I need to do own post to link to demo....

• Members

Oh great. Now HC video of day or whatever has dude showing these things. Now when I go to USA they will be sold out. Did notice that one had a white pickguard, sort of strat style but hey body shape is take off on Les Paul.... guess it is a hybrid of sorts... when will they have flamed maple burst body?

• Members

I have one and its very usable. I really like it, its a great alternative to using a keyboard in Reason. There is almost no lag. Seeing as how I bought a midi pickup for my guitar last year + a roland interface to interupt the signal (probably paid 2-3x than this). And this guitar does exactly what I was trying to do with that setup

• Members

I have one and its very usable. I really like it, its a great alternative to using a keyboard in Reason. There is almost no lag. Seeing as how I bought a midi pickup for my guitar last year + a roland interface to interupt the signal (probably paid 2-3x than this). And this guitar does exactly what I was trying to do with that setup

No one said that it did not work, but that it was a toy compared to a lot of other pro gear out there!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

If you want a MIDI guitar, get the Fishman or Roland. If you want an inexpensive MIDI controller that's accurate, requires minimum cleanup, is polyphonic, and is reasonably-priced, get You Rock Guitar.

I had one here for review and always put it on the back burner because I figured well, it's a toy, it can't be any good...right? Wrong. You can really control MIDI synths very effectively with it (forget the onboard sounds, unless you're in an "80s cheezy music" tribute band).

Is it a guitar? No. Is it a really cost-effective MIDI controller that guitarists can use? Yes.

Just remember you need to tweak synth presets for best results with any MIDI guitar.

• Members

Just to follow up...it's important to understand that YRG has a lot of adjustable parameters, and it's crucial to set these to accommodate your playing style if you want to get the most out of YRG. You'll only get good results "out of the box" if you're lucky.

At the synth end of things, I use YRG in mono mode, do six instances of the synths, and restrict each one to play only one voice so it acts more like a "real" guitar string. This also improves tracking dramatically. For example, here's a setup I did with Native Instruments' Kontakt 5. Note the MIDI Channel settings and maximum polyphony values.

3ycXo.png

• Members

Just got mine yesterday. This is from the perspective of a guitar noob. First of all you can't plan on playing it like a regular guitar for the main reason that there is no string muting. This is it's major flaw. You can get sustaining notes ringing out and it drives you crazy that you can't mute them. You have to press the "string" hard enough for it to register a note then it will stop. "string" = fret like bars that run the length of the fretboard that are like strings. You have to press the "string" hard enough to register the note press. Otherwise the "string" rings out like an open string. This makes chords very difficult.

So you end up playing it like a classical guitar where fretting needs to be accurate and meet the minimum pressure. The actual strings up by the bridge are not bad and you pick or pluck them like a regular guitar. The whammy could be more responsive in terms of the amount of displacement vs the amount of bend. Would like it more aggressive as just applying a little tremolo requires too much deflection.

What's great about it....

It has built in jam tracks and a built in recorder. Right off the bat I was having a great time improvising over the jam tracks. I see this as a composition tool to explore scales and riffs. I immediately started becoming more focused on knowing where the notes were on the fretboard than I am on a real guitar. The jam tracks are all documented with chord progressions and associated notes in the key with a nice wall chart. Although I found myself just falling into the key from a bit of noodling without even referencing the chart. Most of all the jam tracks (IIRC 50) are inspired by a know song (like La Grange is one)

Barre chords are really hard because every note has to have enough pressure to register or it plays an open string. It's best to stick to chords using a limited number of strings so that it's fretted accurately. And strumming must be accurate because any string you didn't mean to hit rings like an open string. Bottom line is that is makes you practice accuracy on both fretting and strumming/plucking. That's why it strikes me as like playing classical guitar. It's very easy to play sour chords. If they could design it to have one more level of sensitivity on the fretboard so you could have string muting this thing would easily max the awesome meter.

I should add that there is a limit to the speed of sliding up and down the fretboard. That is a bit frustrating. The synth and guitar sounds are mediocre. But you can plug into any midi synth and use it as a controller. This is a really well thought out piece of gear. The docs indicate it has a nice software preset editor. I used the recorder right off the bat and it worked fine. My playing wasn't so hot so I'll defer posting a clip for now.

• Members

0:38 in: "The features of the YouRock Guitar are almost infinite."

Awesome. I was hoping to sell my car and drive a YouRock Guitar around town. Can't wait to use it to split the atom, solve world hunger, and cook the perfect turkey burger.

LOL!! Ummmmm......I don't think they meant that the way it sounded. Of course, I could be wrong....

• Members

Just to follow up...it's important to understand that YRG has a lot of adjustable parameters, and it's crucial to set these to accommodate your playing style if you want to get the most out of YRG. You'll only get good results "out of the box" if you're lucky.

At the synth end of things, I use YRG in mono mode, do six instances of the synths, and restrict each one to play only one voice so it acts more like a "real" guitar string. This also improves tracking dramatically. For example, here's a setup I did with Native Instruments' Kontakt 5. Note the MIDI Channel settings and maximum polyphony values.

3ycXo.png

Grrreat info. I will be using mine with NI stuff and I am useless with midi.

• Members

It looks like a fun toy, but I'm anxious to learn more about the Fishman. That looks like the solution I've been waiting for. I already have too many nice guitars that I don't have time enough to play, so I'd rather not buy another instrument just for MIDI.

Archived