question about MIDI on 8-string

RazorBladeRay

• Members

so I was thinking since I got an 8-string I wanted to get both of the Roland GR20 and Roland GR55,so that way I can have 1 pickup on the low F# and low B and running on it on the GR20 and have a 5 pin midi cable running into the GR55 while the other pickup is set on low E to high E and thinking about that method so that way I can get a 8-string MIDI,so basically on the back of the pedal of the GR20 where the 5 pin midi is plugged in "out" and plugged in "on" the 5 pin midi in the GR55,do you think this method would work for me? basically on the GR20 I would have it set on midi mode so I can receive midi message from the GR55,what do you guys think?

• Members

so I was thinking since I got an 8-string I wanted to get both of the Roland GR20 and Roland GR55,so that way I can have 1 pickup on the low F# and low B and running on it on the GR20 and have a 5 pin midi cable running into the GR55 while the other pickup is set on low E to high E and thinking about that method so that way I can get a 8-string MIDI,so basically on the back of the pedal of the GR20 where the 5 pin midi is plugged in "out" and plugged in "on" the 5 pin midi in the GR55,do you think this method would work for me? basically on the GR20 I would have it set on midi mode so I can receive midi message from the GR55,what do you guys think?

The only problem with using an 8 string instead of six, is that a GK pickup is not designed for 8 strings. It is designed for six directly over the sensors on the pickup.

But since you are using TWO MIDI guitar pickups? It should work in theory. Just make SURE each string is over the designated slot for the MIDI pickup you are using.

It is basically a "no one has done this and so you are the gunea pig" experiment.

Let us know how it goes.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

so I was thinking since I got an 8-string I wanted to get both of the Roland GR20 and Roland GR55,so that way I can have 1 pickup on the low F# and low B and running on it on the GR20 and have a 5 pin midi cable running into the GR55 while the other pickup is set on low E to high E and thinking about that method so that way I can get a 8-string MIDI,so basically on the back of the pedal of the GR20 where the 5 pin midi is plugged in "out" and plugged in "on" the 5 pin midi in the GR55,do you think this method would work for me?

Not going to work with the GR-55.

Unlike prior Roland Guitar Synth units, the GR-55 does not respond to any Note on / Note off MIDI commands received on its MIDI Input. The GR-55's synths can only be triggered by a connected guitar via the Roland GK 13 pin connection.

Substitute the older GR-33, GR-20, GR-30, GR-09, GR-1 - those do respond to external MIDI Note on/off events received at their MIDI input jacks.

Archived