HD500/Variax 500.....Please help.

Bluesman001

• Members

I previously had an X3 Live and the Variax 500 was able to update firmware and all was well. I just got an HD500 and got it updated through Monkey and went to hook up the Variax to it and the firmware update failed.

I received error "Flash Memory, Variax update failed. error code 8000900C MIDI device timed out waiting for a response. Try the update again, making sure all the cables are connected."

I am using a Windows 7 Pro PC with driver 4.2.5.4

Monkey V - 1.58

HD500 - 1.43 and 2.02 (have had installed and tried variax update) On 1.43 now.

HD500 Edit - 2.00

Workbench 1.73 (which redirects to run monkey to update Variax).

I only had 2 USB devices plugged into the board (mouse and keyboard). I removed all USB devices and followed the directions to reset the Variax as well as the HD500, instructions here:

http://line6.com/supportarchive/thread/55633

The HD500 reset correctly, but the Variax doesn't make the tones that "pierrehurtubise" mentioned in his post about resetting the variax. On mine I get a High-Low-High sequence tone as I first plug the Cat cable in and pull up the tone selector knob (with pickup selector in position 2 (from bridge).

Please advise on how I can get the Variax to update in order to use it. I removed the battery from the back and even checked the connections to the electronics on the back of the Variax. I can't think of any reason why it won't update. Thanks

• Members

Unfamiliar with Variax, but computerwise,wondering if one of your USB plugs is hotter thathe other ( pretty common) and the easiest way to stabilize it is a powered USB hub.

Also, don't rule out the usb cable as a point of failure. Suspend your anti virus and system updates as well wel flashing it. That prevents anything from hitting the cpu hard while transfer is taking place.

Good luck.

• Members

I've already tried 3 different usb cables, as well as 3 different computers, and different Cat5 / Cat6 cables. I do get output but it is one sound on all 5 positions, and that goes away once I switch from "custom 1" to any other model. And the only repair shop here (line 6 authorized) wants $40 up front to look at it, $65/hr to repair.

• Members

Matt,

I have seen your thread previously and was hoping L6 would be able to give me something. Instead all I got was the typical "Are you plugging into a USB hub?" And the usual dumb things like "Have you tried another USB cable or network cable under 6'?" I wrote them an exhaustive primary ticket detailing everything I've done to correct the problem on my own including trying the flash from 4 different computers (3 I7 and 1 AMD). I also tried 4 Cat5/Cat6 cables, and 3 different USB cables. I tried different versions of Monkey and the 2 existing firmwares for Variax (as well as downloading and installing from file.) I even tried to flash from my X3 Live (prior to trading it off since I got the HD500, where the Variax worked flawlessly before the HD500 monkey flash bricked my Variax.) and the L6 Variax USB - nothing. I am beyond frustrated. My boss tried to flash it with his HD500 (he has JTV) and no go.

Do you have a video or better pics of your process? In the thread you talk about an eraser in the pic, but I don't see it. Thanks for your help.

ps. I was going to order this as a last ditch effort prior to selling my Variax for parts:
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/406186.html

Also, my local shop wants a $40 bench fee (and they charge $65/hr) to tell me it's broke. and then they'll probably want hundreds to repair/replace parts.

• Members

Check out posts 10, 13, 14, 125, 126, and 127 in this thread, which is a pro review of the Dream Rig. It seems like post 125 is really similar to the issue you've experienced.

If those posts don't help (note the part in the earlier posts about the volume control setting to avoid auto-shut), post your question in the Dream Rig pro review. There are a lot of bright people in there, and Line 6 checks in periodically.

Good luck!

• Members

Thanks!

Read the post and wanted to update you all.

I have done the USB audio optimization (which is meant for recording per line 6 website), plugged pc #2 into same power strip as original pc #1. Not using a hub, plugging straight into usb in back of pc (onboard usb) with only mouse and keyboard usb - nothing else. Tried 4 USB cables, 4 cat5 and/or cat6 cables. Tried from my HD500, a Variax USB interface (green on both sides even during errors). My boss attempted to flash using his HD500 and his cables on his PC (he has James Tyler Variax) and his JTV flashed fine, 500 would fail every time (about the 1/8 through the progress bar during the "write"). I have tried on 2 different Intel I7 pcs with Win 7 64 bit, as well as the AMD with Win 7 32 bit.
The Variax does give output in the "custom 1" model, and is the same sound for all 5 positions of the pickup switch. Once I move to another model, all sound is gone except the intermittent single string output out of 6 for that model selection (strat, tele, lp, etc). I have looked at the electronics on the back and the jack area, there is no burn marks or loose connections.
I am next going to try to do this stuff on an XP loaded machine. I don't expect any difference.

• Members

I guess I could always just install magnetic pickups in my 500 and just use it as a regular guitar. Got to thinking about maybe doing a Roland pickup system to bypass the variax internals.......not sure even where to begin.

Maybe someone out there makes a replacement 500 board.

• Members

Don't give up. Try a phone call, this may be some kind of rare problem but has been encountered before, so someone has a solution. If it's a new problem to them, they'll want to know about it anyway. Another company had problems with a synthesizer firmware update procedure which happened with a very small percentage of Macs. They only found out about it through these forums, were able to isolate the particular problem, and apply a fix to their updater to accommodate the problematic Macs.

• Members

Update: Line 6 saw this thread, and is trying to track down your support ticket. Could you please PM me with your email address. I could look up the one under which you registered, but can't share it unless you give me permission.

• Members

The official response from Line 6 is:
"At this point a repair would be component level. If the guitar had a warranty the repair would be free but component level repairs are generally very expensive if you have to pay by the hour.
At this point it would probably cost more to repair the guitar than purchase another used one."

I have to say that I can't help being bitterly disappointed with this whole thing. I expected something in the way of help. Maybe I expected too much. But there's no way in hell that I'm going to spend more money on repairs than I spent on trading for this used guitar. I might one day find another trade deal as good as this one, but it will have to be another used variax (legacy models), and I will always wonder if this same hardware failure will happen again.

• Members

Took out the guts of the variax today and sprayed canned air into the famale jack connectors. Checked all the pins (as suggested) and they all look clean - no marks or black stuff. Put back together and tried (in vain) about 10 more times....same dumb error. I found an iMAC at work, but it is OS X 10.4 and will not take 10.5 or higher. Monkey installs fine (oldest version for OS X), but wants an update as soon as something is plugged in and all newer versions fail due to Mac hardware/10.5 issues.

• Members

I just want to put in here (not that anyone is reading this nor my other 2 entries) that once your Line 6 device becomes out of warranty or a legacy product - don't expect too much support from Line 6. I had hoped that since Craig Anderton responded to my post on those forums, that I might just have a shred of hope of getting my Variax 500 working again. I should learn not to get my hopes up. I posted this same thread 1st post on Line 6 forums and got exactly ZERO replies. How's that for support??

I truly hope that my HD500 never {censored}s the bed like my Variax 500 has. I will have no chance of getting it fixed beyond paying mafia repair prices locally. Thanks a ton Line 6 - for nothing.

• Members

IMHO, this is the problem with high-tech gear. I know if I buy a Strat or something, barring accidents I'll have a guitar for life. If I buy a tech guitar, I know I'll have it for 5 years. In fact I think the best strategy is to sell after 5 years and get the latest and greatest.

You can hardly blame the company. I don't think they could manufacturer legacy circuit boards, etc. at anything like a cost-effective price point.

• Members

How can you say that, when technology improves over time and prices usually go DOWN for computer related tech gear as they find more cost efficient ways to do the same thing? And unless I'm wrong, it looks like the 500/700 board is the same as the 300/600 (3 mounting holes in stead of 4).

Also, you'd think a company like Line 6 would stand behind their product - even out of warranty. It's not like they stopped making the Variax altogether. And you'd also think that by now there would be someone else who had a stockpile of spare parts or had a workaround (surely I'm not the only person in North America that's had their Variax go bad.)

• Members

Line 6 told you they didnt have replacement boards for the 500? Or was it they wouldnt do it on their dime?

Not to sound harsh, but you get what you pay for. One takes a risk getting a used out of production guitar which relies heavily on technology. Its hard to see how this is in any capacity Line 6's fault. You acquired a used guitar (god knows what it went through in other hands) that has been out of warranty for AT LEAST 5 years now (500's were phased out around 2005 IIRC).

Would you buy a used Dell Computer from 2005 out of warranty and then be upset that Dell doesnt want to replace its motherboard for free? This is really no different.

The other question I have, is why do you need to update the firmware? You said that you had previously updated it with the X3. If so, you are up to date in regards to that guitar. There hasnt been any relevant firmware updates for the varix 500 in many years. The last update for the original variax series was on 1/6/06, here are the notes:

Fixed bug in the 12-string and Alt.-tuned models that caused F# at the 16th fret on the D string not to track.
Improved pitch tracking speed, vibrato tracking and general tracking stability for 12-string and Alt.-tuned models.
Please update using Line 6 Monkey 1.10 or later.
Detune amount is lessened for User 12-string Models.
Does the guitar still work with Workbench?

I understand your frustration, as I have a concern about this occuring with all my variax and roland vg/gr gear, but have been lucky nothing has gone wrong beyond piezo's needing replacement.

Archived