High Baritone covering "Creep"--need advice

RockAndSoulLover

• Members

Hi guys; I'm a high baritone (one person deemed me a baritenor).  I'm pretty much self-taught and have been working on my tone placement and high note technique.  My comfort range is about F2-G4, with further extensions E2-C5, although I can't sing that low or that high as a tessitura--for example, I cannot cover a Bruno Mars song because he stays in the A4-C5 range. 

"Creep Cover"

Some have said my high notes sound a bit forced; this may be the case, but I hit this note about 20 times without any real degradation of sound, and I can play with the vibrato. I'm not sure how high it is (G4?). 

Any advice? Oh, this was one take. I used dynamic range compression in audacity because I have **** equip and didn't want my highs to clip or lows to be drowned out (this is in my bathroom with my laptop-built in mic). If anyone knows a better system for Ubuntu, I'd be open :smiley-rotfl: but linux isn't very multimedia friendly.

• Members

You voice is great and you have an excellent vibrato. Could use some work on the falsetto cause the pitch is a bit off. The hign note where the compressor kicks in is perfect. I really think you should invest in some serious recording equipment because it would make this so much nicer to listen to (and probably would inspire you). One of the best performances I've heard in a while.

• Moderators

You definitely sound more on the baritone side in my opinion. I think you sound good. Your voice is pretty 'robust' sounding. That sustained 'G4' near the end sounds like more of a chesty belt to me. I think it might easier to stay in the upper range if you work in some more head voice into the mix. Clipping is definitely troublesome when it comes to built-in computer mics. I would suggest you get a large-condenser mic if you want a clear and accurate sound. There's some USB condenser mics that are pretty affordable and easy to use. You could try looking into it.

• Members

Great sound - you are well on you way and I can hear you have more note potential.  Two things people ask me to help them with are Power and Range - here's the thing...both are achieved with quiet/non-breathy practice.  It's much harder than regular singing but what a workout!  In terms of improving your range please remember that you much take the safe range (what's comfortable and not pushed) and expand that.  Higher notes won't come quickly or easily by constantly pushing for them - in fact that will usually result in reducing range and vocal damage.  I would recommend the 'bubble' (sometimes called lip roll or trill) this exercise helps with airflow and tension.  Lots of info online inc. my video on expanding range on youtube - just type pete moody.   Hope that helps.  Good Luck

Archived