What's with my high notes?

anna111

• Members

I just started to learn to sing. Of course I've been singing before but I thought I have no talent and didn't understand that this is also a skill that can be developed. What has always been difficult to me has been high notes, but when I checked my range it seems easier to expand it higher than lower. But most of my high notes sound terrible.

So here are some clips from that part. If anyone can give advice I would be very thankful. I'm going to take singing lessons but I still have to wait 2 months and I have more time to practise now. (I know It's My Life is not very high but I was so used to sing with my chest voice only that my voice already broke there when I first started..)

https://soundcloud.com/annava/high-notes

Btw ideas about my voice type? 3rd song has at it's beginning the deepest sound I can make at the moment.

• Moderators

Your high notes sound okay. I think its mainly the pitch that's making it sound off. I think you should work more on your diction and legato. The transition between notes sounds a bit rough. I would work to smooth it out a bit. Also the consonants seem to be stopping your breath flow too much, try to even out the breath now. The vowels could be clearer as well.

• Members

sounds good!

You could train a bit singing with hissing sounds to train your diaphragm, it helped me a lot, it gives more power to the voice, but also this will come the more you practice.

cheers!

• Members

I'm doing almost everything wrong, lol. But that's fine because then I can sound better. Thanks for all the replies.

When it comes to style they say that bringing your voice forward is important in classical/opera singing too. I may be taking classical lessons (the teacher gives both) because I actually like singers who have that influence in their sound.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

The great thing about you is you're not afraid to mess up a few times early on until you get the hang of it. I admire that, and that's something that's really good to have. A LOT of people get into singing and feel like they have to sound like mariah carey right away. this slows the learning process down a lot.

That said, some helpful tips: you're thinking about style and bringing your voie forward, well.. it's not time for that yet. Listen back to your recording and really notice where your voice gets bumpy. It's when you change your registers.

Your main priority now is to smoothen out the transitions. I recommend you check out this site:

Learn to Sing

It's totally free info, nothing to buy there. There's this video that explains how to smoothen out your voice. I recommend you focus on practicing this one thing until you get it, then you can focus on your style.

Archived