3AM Vocal Cover by Matchbox Twenty

Leon1242

• Members

Been a really long time since I tried a vocal cover, so here ya'll go. My next upload will be my own song. Im tired of doing cover's, I figure its time to see if I have potential at being a musician. Im going to try updating my equipment though because this song still has really bad mic quality, sorry I am putting you all through that! lol. Hopefully this doesn't suck. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwDgH3bZ0_I

• Members

Pretty good.

If I may offer some constructive criticism:

- Sounds like you're too close to the mic, though that may be the mic quality issue you mentioned.

- Minor pitch issues. Sounds like you have a good ear & voice but could used some training, particularly on breathing technique, projecting, control, etc.

- You sound like you're trying to cop Rob Thomas. Not necessarily a bad thing on a cover but IMO, you'll always sound best singing like YOU.

Keep it up. Looking forward to your next.

• Members

Thanks Rupert! I definetly noticed pitchyness on the ending. I cringed when listening at that point lmao. How can i practice my breathing patterns and pitch? do you have any tips? Thanks again Rupert! Ill be expecting your criticism when I finish my first original song. haha

• Moderators

I definitely agree with Rupert. And I'm suspecting that you're singing quietly close to the mic? Maybe you should sing louder and farther away from the mic. What kind of mic are you using by the way?

On a side note, imitating a singer is fine, as long as you're using your own tone and not trying to strain your throat to produce a certain tone. You can 'copy' or 'learn' another singer's vocal mannerisms and diction style, but you won't ever sound like a complete rip-off of that singer, because everyone's tone is different. I believe that listening to a wider selection of singers will help you develop your own style. If you work on developing your style long enough, it will feel as though your vocal style is an extension of your own personality.

I always feel like I'm trying to copy singers like Bob Dylan and Keb Mo, but I end up sounding completely different. lol :lol:

• Members

I definitely agree with Rupert. And I'm suspecting that you're singing quietly close to the mic? Maybe you should sing louder and farther away from the mic. What kind of mic are you using by the way?

On a side note, imitating a singer is fine, as long as you're using your own tone and not trying to strain your throat to produce a certain tone. You can 'copy' or 'learn' another singer's vocal mannerisms and diction style, but you won't ever sound like a complete rip-off of that singer, because everyone's tone is different. I believe that listening to a wider selection of singers will help you develop your own style. If you work on developing your style long enough, it will feel as though your vocal style is an extension of your own personality.

I always feel like I'm trying to copy singers like Bob Dylan and Keb Mo, but I end up sounding completely different. lol
:lol:

Davie! Hows life been treating you buddy? haha. and I understand what your saying completely. Sometimes I try to sing like Benjamin Burnley. And my outcome is a very squeaky screamer :p and as for your mic question... Ive been using a Guitar Mic from the start. lmao.

Archived