Remedies to help your voice when you're sick

singergirl246

• Members

Gargle with two ounces of ameretto ever hour and swallow. Alternate hours gargle with two ounces of rum and swallow. Every half hour gargle alternately with two ounces of cognac/brandy, Cointreau, Triple Sec, and Irish mist and swallow. Substitute bourbon as needed on the 30 minute off-hour gargles. You'll DEFINITELY feel better!

• Members

TBH I would cancel. You are sick and the most important thing is to get better. You certainly want to be at your best. There's always next time. Your boss will understand, or not.

This, I think. After two weeks and you're not any better, I would hold little hope that you will miraculously be in any kind of form in a couple days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Allrighty, I'm jumping in here because I've had a mild cold for 3 days. I'm going back to work tomorrow but I have a little heaviness in my chest. Nothing like bronchitis, just residue. I have a gig tomorrow night that I'm going to do with my country band.

I'm all on board with the Amaretto rinse and swallow, although Gentleman Jack is preferred, but on a serious note, what might ease the stress. I won't have access to steam, but will have some tea/honey for sure. I don't care for drugs in general, but if there's something that would provide 4 hours of breath, without knocking me out for the drive home, I'm interested.

Anything?

Dez

• Members

Warm honey lemon water helped me a lot. Right before you go on drink some. Also I started taking Emergen-C drink mix packs. They help boast your immune system.

Also, I have really bad allergies and asthma, I'm always getting sick. As a singer it really effects my voice. There was a guy who sang in my choir at school a long time ago. People said that he had the same problem and he had surgery to clean his sinus cavities out and it increased his vocal range by a lot. Would you guys happen to know what surgery he got? And also would it be worth the money for me to ask my doctor about it and get the surgery?

• Members

I've had bronchitis and had to sing. If you're already on antibiotics, nothing else is going to help much, except simple rest (DO NOT SING, try not to even talk and drink plenty of fluids). Besides, I didn't have to sing Celine Dion at an audition, the bronchitis probably made my rock-ish voice appear better to others who were probably drunk themselves... :)

• Members

I'm going to bring my Honey "bear" and lemon juice to mix up, the club will have hot water.

As far as surgery goes, nasal area and such can alter resonance/tonality. Not something to take lightly. Being allergic with a tendency towards asthma must be a seasonal nightmare in itself. Ear,nose,throat doctor (ENT), allergist might be worth consulting. Quick search

• Members

Warm honey lemon water helped me a lot. Right before you go on drink some. Also I started taking Emergen-C drink mix packs. They help boast your immune system.

Also, I have really bad allergies and asthma, I'm always getting sick. As a singer it really effects my voice. There was a guy who sang in my choir at school a long time ago. People said that he had the same problem and he had surgery to clean his sinus cavities out and it increased his vocal range by a lot. Would you guys happen to know what surgery he got? And also would it be worth the money for me to ask my doctor about it and get the surgery?

Get a bottle of ALKALOL sinus rinse.

I'm warning you - it is going to sting a little. Mix it 25% Alkalol/75% warm water.

Use a Neil Med Sinus Rinse Bottle, and it will clean your sinuses out big time!

You can get it at CVS pharmacies. You will have to ask the Pharmacist for it - they will either have it, or they will have to order it - normally that takes 24 hours, so I usually buy several bottles at once - it costs about $6.50 a bottle.

I have bronchitis as well. It sucks when it gets aggravated. Lay off all milk products, and start eliminating things that are easily turned into phlegm and mucus. Also, get some Bragg's RAW apple Cider Vinegar and mix that with warm water and honey and drink that (mix it about 50/50 - you won't even taste the vinegar with enough honey in it. )

• Members

I don't know bronchitis very well cause I've never had it, but I noticed someone else posted about phlegm. If you have a junky throat cause of chocolate, milk, sickness, whatever, you can mix a teaspoon of honey into enough vinegar to dissolve it all, plug your nose and slam it back. It clears phlegm almost instantly, it's a storytellers trick I picked up a while back. WORD OF WARNING: Don't do this day after day, it is hard on your throat in in the same way that running without shoes on is hard on your feet. You can do it a little bit but after a while it starts to hurt. AND: if you have a raw/sore/itchy/scratchy throat don't do this, it'll burn like hell.

• Members

So I survived. No high registers for me, but I rephrased stuff and sang around it . I used the rougher sound to what ever advantage I could. In the end I think I sipped more honey straight from the squeeze bottle than I did my Yuengling. I also tasted some Jack Daniels Honey Whiskey, which I do not like as much as Williams Honey Bourbon.

To everyone who isn't feeling so hot, get well soon. Thanks to everyone who added some really helpful tricks and remedies.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey guys, I think self-awareness is crucial in treating a cold fast. As soon as I feel dryness in my nose or a slight irritation behind my uvula (the little punching bag in the back of the throat), I put Polysporin in my nostrils and I take a combination of natural oils such as camphor, menthol and eucalyptus on my tongue. every so often during the day. It prevents the cold from developing in my throat and I don't get any sore throat. It's worked quite a few times. I haven't had a sore throat in probably 5 years now :))

Archived