Finding the right mic

Oaksong

• Members

I'm looking for (I guess?) 2 mics: one for live use and one for recording. Live use should probably come first for auditions.

The question is... how to find good mics for my voice without spending a fortune.

If it matters I'm a low Tenor (G2 to the F above high C), if it matters.

• Members

What style music...there are TONS of different dynamics for live purposes. Maybe go to GC and see if they'll let you demo some?

As far as recording, large diaphragm condensor man. I've always had good results with a KSM44 Shure condensor. Not too pricey, but works for me. Also AKG414 is a good studio mic.

• Members

Oaksong, finding a mic is like finding a woman. get one that FITS.

In this case one that suits your voice and compliments your tone.

Finding this mic is like asking about the Matrix.

No one can tell you....you have to test em and find out for yourself.

Some will like a Sure sm57...others will swear on a condenser...

• Members

Oaksong, finding a mic is like finding a woman. get one that FITS.

In this case one that suits your voice and compliments your tone.

Finding this mic is like asking about the Matrix.

No one can tell you....you have to test em and find out for yourself.

Some will like a Sure sm57...others will swear on a condenser...

I don't know about that.

My woman still doesn't "fit" me....if you know what I mean..... :eek:

But yes, you really should try out the mics at a store on the same computer/amp.

The Electro-Voice N/D767a mic always gets really good reviews, which often say

it's one of the best low budget dynamic mics for live performance.

So if you're not one of the those Shure SM57/SM58 fans, it's a good alternative.

For the studio, I guess a large diaphragm cardoid condensor is a must.

Maybe a MXL V67g. Don't forget about the shock mount.

If you happen to live in NYC the MXL V67G costs $93.50 new at B&H (costs $119.99 at Sam Ash and it isn't sold at Guitar Center).

Their website is www.bhphotovideo.com.

If you're into microphone upgrades, you can go to Oktavamod. The guy there custom upgrades specific microphones to make them sound like $2000 mics by analyzing them and fixing their weak points. He gives a detailed analysis on his website for each mic. You could look at the list of mics he upgrades and find one of the them at Guitar Center or Sam Ash.

Here is an analysis of the MXL V67g on his page:

http://www.oktavamodshop.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_46&products_id=127

But of course, you can look around at the other mics.

Anyway, whatever you do, find a mic that fits you. Don't necessarily feel like you have to get the most popular mics that everyone uses.

• Members

I have these two condensors for recording - RODE NTK (thick tube sound) or Sputnik (bright open tube sound).

I also recommend any of the higher priced Audio Technica's like the AT4040

For live I use Shure SM58.

Totally different and distinct tonalities that may suit one but not the other, great examples bud!

For me I loved the RODE NTK but the NT-1A was WAYYYYY harsh and overboard. YMMV I guess.

For flat/linearity nothing beats the old trusty SM58 for live performances!

• Members

Try everything out on your PA and recording rig. Mics are very subjective and personal. Your voice, well ear to be exact, will tell you. Bruce S. used a Shure SM7 on Michael Jackson's voice for Thriller. While, Brian Eno used a U87 on Bono's voice on a number of different U2 records. All of which won Grammys. So, who's right? What ever works for the voice.

Also, don't forget the Mic Pre and interface make a huge difference!

Tim

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Do you work with a band? All the bands I've been make a big deal about everyone having the same mics.

And if you try to use a condenser when they're using dynamics, OMG it's the cause of every friggin' problem.
:mad:

they only do that to u because you're a girl.

they wouldn't do that to me, or hillary rodham clinton either for that matter.

• Members

My live vocal mic is the Telefunken M 80

telefunken_m80.jpg

Telefunken?! OMG I had no idea they made mics... I just remember their kickass stereo equipment from the 80s... Just googled , looks like they are still going strong though I have not seen anything in a store on this side of the pond in a couple decades.

• Members

its really not as easy as posting on a forum and adding up the results. to really make an informed decision requires actually using and recording your vox in diffrent settings.

im not trying to overcomplicate it , but say your on a stage that reqires ALOT of vox in your monitor, well to minimize feedback id reccomend ,say maybe an audix om 7....

in a qiuet acoustic open mic i love the sennheiser i think mines an 835.....you know, experiment around and be sure to record it and CRITICALLY listen to said recording ;0

• Members

its really not as easy as posting on a forum and adding up the results. to really make an informed decision requires actually using and recording your vox in diffrent settings.

im not trying to overcomplicate it , but say your on a stage that reqires ALOT of vox in your monitor, well to minimize feedback id reccomend ,say maybe an audix om 7....

in a qiuet acoustic open mic i love the sennheiser i think mines an 835.....you know, experiment around and be sure to record it and CRITICALLY listen to said recording ;0

I love my Audix OM3 and yes, Audix mics have great feedback rejection.

• Members

For live performance, the Shure SM58 is the industry standard. And it's cheap; a bonus!! I use a condenser Rode NT1 for recording; I like it but I haven't tried to many... I mostly went by recommendation like you're doing now! It depends on your own taste...

Archived