Couple questions on singing

DukeOfBoom

• Members

Question 1)

In the Misfits song Attitude, Glenn Danzig is singing the whole thing from C#-A4. He hits those A4 and they sound very bellowy and manly. When I do, it sounds like a screaming weasel. I think I'm doing some sort of 'covered' sound, but I'm not too sure. How do I ballsy up my tone?

[video=youtube;0RGuhgS9dDk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RGuhgS9dDk

Question 2)

How do you do the ballsy Phil Anselmo tone? It sounds like he's tearing his throat to pieces. Is that what he is doing, or is he doing some trick so that he's actually very gentle on his vocal cords.

example:

[video=youtube;2x_PDfkQUfw]

• Members

I can't listen to the songs as my partner is asleep, but is the second one that "cookie monster" type of singing style? That raspy, tear-up-your-throat voice? If it is, then that's not so bad for your voice as long as you don't do it all the time. It's a weird pseudo-falsetto thing as far as I can tell. You push your voice really hard but almost in a "weak" kind of way...like a falsetto way but down lower in your range...it's hard to try and explain (for me anyway).

As far as the first clip, I don't know, man. Sometimes I find if I over-do a certain singing style that tends to give a more "full" or "whole" sound to the voice, like an operatic style, even to the point of silliness, if I can then tone it down somehow it sounds ok...whereas if I just sing the same song in my normal voice, it sounds really weak and not full or whole.

Meh.

• Members

A very interesting question Duke. I'm looking for the answer myself. Sometimes I hear high-voiced would-be-pansies sing A4-ish notes with nothing short of awesomely bestial timbres.

No idea how they do it. It probably helps to be rather high voiced. You're more like a baritone rather than a tenor, aren't you Duke?

I'm meeting my vocal coach on wednesday and I'll ask her then.

EDIT: Ps. I seem to remember her saying something about additional things vibrating and moving, i.e. the vocal folds are not alone in creating that full and masculine sound Ds.

• Members

A very interesting question Duke. I'm looking for the answer myself. Sometimes I hear high-voiced would-be-pansies sing A4-ish notes with nothing short of awesomely bestial timbres.

No idea how they do it. It probably helps to be rather high voiced. You're more like a baritone rather than a tenor, aren't you Duke?

I'm meeting my vocal coach on wednesday and I'll ask her then.

EDIT: Ps. I seem to remember her saying something about additional things vibrating and moving, i.e. the vocal folds are not alone in creating that full and masculine sound Ds.

I'm more of a baritone than a tenor, yes. I can belt out a F# and am working on doing the "covering" thing from my passagio E-A thing, but they are not bellowy lion-sounding like Danzig. Danzig is also baritone tho - these days I don't think he can hit an A4 at all. But younger Danzig had a good range while sounding ballsy throughout.

• Members

Anselmo completely effed his voice up. There may be some technique in that, but have you heard him lately? Dudes speaking voice sounds like he gargles gravel. His range is shot too, from what I hear, he can't nail those {censored}ing Rob Halford notes anymore...I saw him struggle through a "Would" when he sat in with AIC.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Listen where this particular pitch resonates in your head. Add in more chest resonance to make your tone more "manly", lol! And full. This has to do with relaxation and proper jaw opening.

+1

Re. the Misfits song, the irony is, to get that more full "aggressive" sound in your voice, you need to relax to do it.

I was/am classified as a bass, but because I am very relaxed in the throat when I sing, I can easily hit that A4 with something resembling Danzig's timbre and resonance. His style on the other hand... not so much. I'm just not a punk singer (although I can do a pretty good Sex Pistols caricature :lol:).

But after A4, it's a very sharp falloff for me. When I start getting up to the B4 or C5, that's where I have to start "thinning" my vocal production. And C#5 is about my limit without going falsetto.

But the point being, the only reason I can consistently "go there" is because I am very relaxed as I sing, no matter where in my range I am working. And I owe a lot of that relaxed technique to a great voice teacher who helped me fix some serious bad habits.

• Members

Anselmo completely effed his voice up. There may be some technique in that, but have you heard him lately? Dudes speaking voice sounds like he gargles gravel. His range is shot too, from what I hear, he can't nail those {censored}ing Rob Halford notes anymore...I saw him struggle through a "Would" when he sat in with AIC.

I saw that. Hard to watch. I kept cringing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I can't speak to the Danzig style, but the hardcore/death metal style I'm pretty versed in. Phil was at the early wave of hardcore singers and they were truly all out yelling, ripping vocal chords, etc...While he could sing well back then, this style is just using volume and bad technique. Why do you think these guys drink so much? Two reasons, the first is that whisky and coke coats your throat, the second is that when you're drunk it doesn't hurt as bad. All of this is the old way and will ruin your voice permanently, so stay away.

The new death metal guys are a lot easier on the voice. For those vocals, think of the cookie monster (cliche I know). Try to talk like that, don't yell, not loud, just talk like you were going to play the cookie monster to your five year old nephew. That's about the volume for getting those death metal vocals. For me, it almost feels like gargling. Really deep and low in the throat, but open (not like you're clearing your throat) like you're trying to sing the "ohm" in a mantra. Once you get that style down, you will learn where to hit it in your throat so that it doesn't hurt. You can raise the pitch as needed, but again, it isn't screaming loud, but close to or less than talking volume. The mic will add the low end, with the proximity effect.

• Members

Advice #1: It takes time!

Don't expect things to fall into place at once. The notes are supposed to be weak at first, it's when you sing lots of them they start to resonate better and get ballsy. I sing a lot of sings in plain falsetto when my voice starts to weaken, it seems to be a good strength workout for the voice.

Also think about singing the same way you would think about weight training. If you keep lifting light weights you won't get stronger. You need to work on the difficult parts to develop it. Just make sure you don't strain by pulling chest or tense the neck muscles. Be relaxed. Let the notes flip to wimpy falsetto and experiment in was to cover the bridge. Soon the notes will start to be stronger and at some point you'll getting higher and higher in stronger and stronger head voice without going falsetto.

• Members

I can't listen to the songs as my partner is asleep, but is the second one that "cookie monster" type of singing style? That raspy, tear-up-your-throat voice? If it is, then that's not so bad for your voice as long as you don't do it all the time. It's a weird pseudo-falsetto thing as far as I can tell. You push your voice really hard but almost in a "weak" kind of way...like a falsetto way but down lower in your range...it's hard to try and explain (for me anyway).

As far as the first clip, I don't know, man. Sometimes I find if I over-do a certain singing style that tends to give a more "full" or "whole" sound to the voice, like an operatic style, even to the point of silliness, if I can then tone it down somehow it sounds ok...whereas if I just sing the same song in my normal voice, it sounds really weak and not full or whole.

I love it when u post grace

Archived