OT - giving someone das boot

staticsound

• Members

Ok, my drummer has managed to consecutively {censored} up on at least 5 out of 30 songs for the past 3 gigs. Not the same songs, different ones every time. We actually lost an opportunity for a house gig this past weekend because of it! If he owned up to it and remedied the problem, that would at least be somewhat acceptable, but it's always an excuse for everything. The band should follow the drummer, not vice versa. He's a good guy, but were to the point of giving him the boot. The {censored}ty thing is we use his place to practice at, lol. Just venting...

• Members

Be careful: Good drummers are very hard to find. And if he's also a nice guy....well, you're golden.

I'd be encouraged by the fact that he doesn't screw up the same songs--that would mean difficulty learning or resistance to learning. The case here seems to be negligence or distraction. Have you tried taking his cell phone away?

By the way, if I screw up on 5 out of 30 songs, I consider that a victory! :idk:

• Members

The case here seems to be negligence or distraction.

^^this...he's like the kid playing outfield who misses the pop fly because he was distracted by a butterfly! Idk, I should prob take a few days to cool off over the blown house gig before any decisions are made.

• Members

Smart choice to cool down first...on the other hand, the issue, if not adressed will only grow more and more untill you have no choice other than having a blow out over it...

Deal with it head on, and with the whole band together so there is no he said/she said crap going on and if doesn't get resolved, move on to another drummer. That's what I would do.

Rod

• Members

We've tried to deal with the situation, but theres always an excuse..."I couldn't hear the vocals", or "the guitars were off"..etc. It sucks cause when he does screw up, it's gonna throw the rest of the band off. Plus he's not playing the tunes like they're supposed to be played...drum parts that "non musicians" know aren't in the songs. I think it's that he's skimming through the tunes and learning the basic parts, and then just throwing his own {censored} in. Doesn't work in a coverband IMO. It's funny, as we get more "high profile" gigs and the pay goes up, you'd think he'd bring his A game?...costing us a nice paying house gig SUCKS.

Were gonna address the situation again later this week and see how it goes :rolleyes:

• Members

I have never had to fire a bandmember before, but I've had to fire employees. It's never easy. And its never easy to find new good musicians (or employees).

It sounds to me you shouldnt openly fire him yet cause u dont have a new guy. Put your feelers out for a new guy first.

The other thing that I do - as a band leader - is during practice sessions I {censored}ing listen to the song thru the PA (no instruments), stop, play the trouble part, yell at the drummer or bassist who start {censored}ing around on their instruments pay attention, then repeat until we get it. Then I make cheat sheets to give to the guys. I don't expect them to *actually* go over it between now and next rehearsal - good forbid - but I remind them of it at next rehearsal.

But if u need a new guy, find him and get him. You MAY want to talk face to face at a sitdown post-rehearsal and tell him you're looking for a new drummer unless he gets his act together. Of course, he's gonna unload every excuse in the book but if he always uses the same ones like "I can't hear the guitar" then you tell him that since that's what he's been sayin for the last 10 times you thought you fixed it.

• Members

Well the deed is done. We all sat down, had a discussion, and decided it was in the better interest of the band to part ways. All was good...it is a buisness after all, and if an employee isn't pulling their weight, I guess you gotta let them go. Not looking forward to auditioning drummers though, for every 1 good one, there are at least 5 really bad ones :facepalm:

• Members

Good luck. You did the right thing since it was only going to get worse, sounds like he may not be as committed as the rest of the band. Is this the STP tribute?

Hopefully the search is over quick and you guys end up better off for it......

• Members

Nah! Drummers are a dime a dozen...good drummers, that like to play 90's only stuff...well that may be tougher! Still better than putting up with a douche that makes everyone unhappy and causes band rift! Now go get a Dr. Rhytim machine like A-ha used and you are good to go! :)

Good for you!

Rod

Archived