what do you use for recording?

WaterMoc

• Members

Hi, I know there is a separate recording forum but I wanted to know what you all are using to record your voice for self study & posting on the net. I've heard some pretty good recordings here.

Right now I have a little Tascam DR7 digital, and I like to sing with headphones on and the inputs turned up so it's like a studio monitor system. But since my pitch tends to drift downward I must have karaoke backup, which I can't add directly to the mix. So it's in the background and sometimes I get lost, esp with karoake players who seem to like to solo through everything.. :mad:

I think with a mixer like a Xenyx I could output to the recorder through a mic port.

It would be nice to have effects, but not essential. Any suggestions?

• Members

Wide open question as to what to suggest - everyone has their own choices/recommendations based on what they use.

As an ex-salesman the first question you have to ask is "how much money can you spend". Then we can reduce the plethora of equipment from a million choices down to several thousand.

What I use is probably not much use to you but here goes:

Rode NTK

M-Audio Sputnik

Shure SM57

Lexicon U42S

Alesis Multimix 16 USB 2.0

Sonar 6

Various plug-ins including Cakewalk, Lexicon, Antares

Sound Forge 10

AKG Headphones K271 MKII, K240 MKII

I write my own backup music.

If you are just getting started, I would suggest you use Reaper for software and m-audio fast track pro for an interface to your computer.

• Members

For vocal self-study and song-writing sketches I use an Edirol (Roland) R09, a great device that has built-in reverb that sweetens things enough to keep me from throwing the recorder out of the window and just giving up. I just picked up a Zoom R8 stand-alone multitrack recorder, but it's too soon to tell whether it's a keeper.

For recordings I might keep or someday share, I use a Miktek C7 large diaphragm condenser mic, which is a little pricey but worth every penny.

And to round out the picture, I use a Shure Beta 87A small diaphragm condenser mic for live work.

• Members

KSM 32 condenser mic > Tascam DM24 mixer > Motu 2408 interface > Sonar 8

Mine is kind of overkill, but I used to have a fully functioning recording studio. These are just some of the things I kept.

:D

Bty, how do you like the 87a jersey? I've got an SLX wireless setup for live purposes and was thinking about swapping the beta58 cap with an 87..

• Members

For vocal self-study and song-writing sketches I use an Edirol (Roland) R09, a great device that has built-in reverb that sweetens things enough to keep me from throwing the recorder out of the window and just giving up. I just picked up a Zoom R8 stand-alone multitrack recorder, but it's too soon to tell whether it's a keeper.

For recordings I might keep or someday share, I use a Miktek C7 large diaphragm condenser mic, which is a little pricey but worth every penny.

And to round out the picture, I use a Shure Beta 87A small diaphragm condenser mic for live work.

Wow...yeah I probably couldn't afford all that. Reverb really helps, doesn't it?

I think I'll stick to the DR 7 and the reverb in my bathroom...:cool:

• Members

I like this question, I found a cheap mic that has good reviews. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/mxl-v63m-condenser-studio-microphone-with-shockmount The only problem, its not usb and i cant find anything to explain how to record onto my computer. It sounds like a good mic, I searched alot over it and no bad reviews and its only 80$.

• Moderators

I use a decent recording setup, though a higher-end mic would be nice.

My current recording setup is: Studio Projects B1 Condenser Mic -> Edirol UA-101 Recording interface -> Cubase SX

I like this question, I found a cheap mic that has good reviews.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/mxl-v63m-condenser-studio-microphone-with-shockmount
The only problem, its not usb and i cant find anything to explain how to record onto my computer. It sounds like a good mic, I searched alot over it and no bad reviews and its only 80$.

That's only half of the equation. If you use the XLR type of mics you're gonna need a recording interface device to hook-up the mic onto your computer. Once you have it hooked up then you need to use some recording software (eg. GarageBand, Cubase, Protools, etc.).

• Members

Jack it looks like the Edirol is basically your equivalent of my DR7, only you were smart enough to get one with reverb. But can you input both a backing track and voice and monitor both at the same time? Or sing over prerecorded?

I don't want to spend a lot of money - what do you think of getting a mixer with effects like the Xenyx 1202, and outputting to the DR7? I could do that for less than 100. Then I output the MP3 to my laptop.

I already have several dynamic mics to choose from, but no nice condensers.

• Members

Jack it looks like the Edirol is basically your equivalent of my DR7, only you were smart enough to get one with reverb. But can you input both a backing track and voice and monitor both at the same time? Or sing over prerecorded? ....

That's a good question! I never use the hand-held recorder for any over-dubbing or multitrack recording, so I've never explored that angle. My gut feeling (the recorder is not with me right now) is that the Edirol 09 is not set up for multitracking. When I do multitracking I use Logic, so I never have occasion for using the Edirol in this way. The built-in reverb makes this device very friendly for singers however, and as a simple song sketch pad it works great.

Note that you can't export the reverb, only the dry recording. But any program you export to would almost certainly have reverb.

And to static: Yes, I'm a big fan of the Beta 87a. Shure makes a similar performance condenser that's also quite good, and a little cheaper--I think it's the SM86, but you'd have to look it up. That one's perhaps $180 compared to $280 for the Beta 87a.

• Members

I use a decent recording setup, though a higher-end mic would be nice.

My current recording setup is: Studio Projects B1 Condenser Mic -> Edirol UA-101 Recording interface -> Cubase SX

That's only half of the equation. If you use the XLR type of mics you're gonna need a recording interface device to hook-up the mic onto your computer. Once you have it hooked up then you need to use some recording software (eg. GarageBand, Cubase, Protools, etc.).

Davie,

Send your B1 to Mike Joly at oktavamod.com and, for a little investment, you will have a killer mic that will give you incredible results.

Rod

• Members

Hi, I know there is a separate recording forum but I wanted to know what you all are using to record your voice for self study & posting on the net. I've heard some pretty good recordings here.

Right now I have a little Tascam DR7 digital, and I like to sing with headphones on and the inputs turned up so it's like a studio monitor system. But since my pitch tends to drift downward I must have karaoke backup, which I can't add directly to the mix. So it's in the background and sometimes I get lost, esp with karoake players who seem to like to solo through everything..
:mad:

I think with a mixer like a Xenyx I could output to the recorder through a mic port.

It would be nice to have effects, but not essential. Any suggestions?

My suggestions:

You need to (1st) consider your gear purchases investments...not in the sense

that said gear will appreciate in value (because it won't) BUT the enriched

environment decent gear provides will result in a boost of self confidence

and a superior recording structure you and your audience will assuredly appreciate...

First things first...you gotta pay to play (not break the bank) :thu:

Step 1: You will need a decent computer...Decent, in this context means:

-an intel dual core processor minimum

-4Gb of Ram

-Dedicated Video (preferably) not required

-Obviously if your system doesn't meet this criteria you shouldn't seize from wanting

to continue to record, but decent specs minimize issues like compatibility incongruity

with respect to your choices in hardware which can be adversely affected by the aforementioned issue...

Step 2: You will need a half-way decent audio interface (sans a mixer)

-it should have 2 in 2 out, a couple ins for instruments and 1 or 2 mic pres

-it should have phantom power for your mics

-it should do 24/96khz easily and more than likely USB powered...

-Why did I say sans a mixer? 2 Words: Virtual Porting.

-With an audio interface hooked up to your computer coupled to a D.A.W. (a software

counterpart to your hardware) you will have unlimited *channels* (only limited by software and RAM quantity) to copy, paste, cut, edit and reshape recordings in ways

not seen with conventional mixers...Which brings to my next point: D.A.W. software:

Step 3: D.A.W. stands for digital audio workstation, which you will need;

(a) Reaper is free to try and cheap to buy AND is very user friendly as well

(b) Cubase is much more money and is only better because someone says it is!

© Digital Performer, Abelton, Acid, your choices are endless in this dept.

Step 4: Last but not least: Mics and cables...

-Your choice depends on YOU, your budget and voice characteristics...

-You want something that is affordable, and that complements your voice

Here, read this: http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr98/articles/mic_types.html

Lastly...you want decent cables that repel distortion and that provide adequate insulation from static and other electronic equipment that emit signals that can disrupt

a noise free recording environment due to poor cable construction. You don't need solid gold plating, just a decent cable.

What I use(d) (before my music computer's motherboard stopped working)

-Presonus Firebox (which is a 4 in 4 out firewire audio interface)

and MUST be used with a Texas Instrument Firewire controller

(which comes standard on all Gigabyte motherboards) .................................$150 (New)

-Marshall MXL V69 Mogami edition Condenser mic with mogami cabling both internal

and external...................................................................................$120 (used)

-Quad Core i7 with 12GBs of DDR3 1600 Ram and dual 23inch monitors (really helps productivity and work flow) ..................................................................$1409

I bought my Velocity Micro computer from a gaming developer (after trade) for $600

Then went to http://www.visiondaw.com/productcart/pc/index.asp went to their

actual business brick and mortar, had them gut out the gaming guts

and use their hardware, burn in and optimizations for a clean DAW build with

installed software from East West on 4 Veloci Raptor 10,000 RPM drives...

I bought those 23inch monitors at Tiger Direct for $109 EA and NO tax/free shipping

If you buy used you can save a lot of money as I did.

Check out slickdeals.net (you can literally save hundreds) but will end up spending thousands!!! Best of luck to you! :wave:

Archived