Superman five for fighting cover

reddude333

• Members

Im workinng on superman cover. Tell me how it sounds, there are two. I like the first one better, then i did a secound one lower since im usualy told i should sing in a lower pitch. Im really hoping i can get this song to sound good. Not the greatest singer but im trying.

http://soundcloud.com/reddude/sets/superman-by-five-for-fihting

What should i change?

• Members

Listened to both of them. Stick with the first one man, the lower one was really off. The first one IMO sounds pretty decent, there are some pitchy spots, but your overall tone is good. I like that you weren't trying to sound like the guy, but I think it has potential to sound really good if you "soften up" on it a bit. I'm not saying sing it like he does, but less...forceful, for lack of a better word. Some parts sound a little strained. Overall though not bad man :thu:

• Members

Thanks, Ill try to fix it up. Ya i dont like the secound one either. Im thinking of buying a mic, can i plug a mic streight to my computer. Im using my iphone right now. If i can get this song to sound right im going to record with one of my friends playing guitar. This is going to be my first cover song. Im going to make shur people like it. Again thanks for the advice.

• Moderators

I agree with Static. Not too bad. I also just hate when a cover sounds like a 'mimic' of the original artist, which is pointless (unless you're tribute). And just keep practicing, looking forward to listening to finished version.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I wanted to update, i ended up trying to improve on it. I deleted the 2nd one from before and put a new one. Not much different except i did the up up away part. I havn't figured out how to sing that song yet. But i also wanted to put another song that i tryed and it isn't strained. Hope its ok, I need to most likly make it more interesting but its a start. http://soundcloud.com/reddude/john-mayer John mayer heart break warfare

• Members

I wanted to update, i ended up trying to improve on it. I deleted the 2nd one from before and put a new one. Not much different except i did the up up away part. I havn't figured out how to sing that song yet. But i also wanted to put another song that i tryed and it isn't strained. Hope its ok, I need to most likly make it more interesting but its a start.
John mayer heart break warfare

I like your voice reddude. Nice timbre and tone. You are losing your pitch when you go up to the high "heart break" parts. The rest is sounds good - especially for accapella. I would like to hear it with music to see how the relative pitch is but again it sounds pretty close to me.

• Members

Thank you, i have a big problem with puting my self down. So thank you for the encouragement. When you talk about pitch, does that mean i was singing to loud. I was kinda doing that on purpose. So thats a quick fix, thanks for the advice. :)

• Members

Much better....you've lowered the key and it seems more comfortable for your voice. There's a few "not perfect" spots but if you sang this live it would go over well and most people wouldn't notice - especially with music accompanying you. Now you have to decide - do you want to raise the key? If yes then all it takes is some practice. The higher key (for me) makes you belt (like shout) and for me that shows the vocal tone off - which you have and it's good. Hope that all makes sense.....

• Members

If I sing to people it will most likly stay like this untel i get better control with my voice. But most people tell me they like when i sing lower. Even though i always do the opposite for some reason because i like the sound of a higher tone. But thanks for the help, if you didnt say anything i would of kept singing like before. :)

• Members

You and I agree - your higher range has a better tone. So use the lower range for now and work up the higher range slowly. Do you sing any harmonies? Harmonies are higher but usually you don't sing them for the whole song (unless it's Simon and Garfunkle). Singing higher harmonies may exercise your upper range and not strain it if it's only on choruses. Just a thought...

Archived