Louder: I need to be able to sing louder! Is there anything I can do?

New Trail

• Members

Ten, maybe 15 years ago I started having trouble hearing myself singing. I thought it was because the other singers in the band had really loud voices, but now I realize that's not it. We played a festival gig Saturday night that had a soundman, so we used all his gear. He couldn't get me loud enough to hear myself in the monitor (but, since I was playing keys and the monitors were placed on the front of the stage for the guitars players that didn't held, but that's another issue) and everyone else was killin' it.

I need to be able to sing louder. What can I do?

Thanks!

• Members

You shouldn't have to push harder to be able to hear yourself...unless your singing incredibly soft. Sounds to me like for that gig, it was a lose, lose situation if you didn't have wedge for yourself. How loud is your stage volume? I'd invest in IEMs...I did and I'm NEVER going back to stage wedges!

• Members

Resonance.

It's important because you can outsing other singers without pushing and makes you able to be loud with very little energy. It's a bit difficult for me to explain, but I have worked whith it in terms of feelings and sensations and found that it suddenly made sense.

Think of it as a way to place the tone/sound in your body to make it big. Experiment with direction, placement (where does it feel that the sound is coming from) projection (where do you aim the sound) and how you form your moth, neck, throat etc...

It has come to the point that I have big problems talking normal without people reacting to how loud I sound. It is almost embarrasing, I might just shut up and sing... :)

• Members

Resonance.

It's important because you can outsing other singers without pushing and makes you able to be loud with very little energy. It's a bit difficult for me to explain, but I have worked whith it in terms of feelings and sensations and found that it suddenly made sense.

Think of it as a way to place the tone/sound in your body to make it big. Experiment with direction, placement (where does it feel that the sound is coming from) projection (where do you aim the sound) and how you form your moth, neck, throat etc.........
:)

That's sounds like it, the best suggestion so far. What do I do?

• Members

The most common way of gaining volume is by utilizing the resonance cavities in your face. They are situated around your nose area.

Opera singers and stuff have through practise gained access to additional cavities along the rear parts of your skull, but don't ask me how they do it.

To open those facial cavities, try to visualize your vocal cords making sound towards your face, i.e. where the cavities are situated. It could work. It's also important that while you're doing this, don't be the least bit afraid or ashamed of the sound of your voice. If you are, this will inhibit you and your volume.

You could f.x. visualize a friend of yours standing on the far side of your lawn or whatever, and your job is to make him hear what you're saying/singing, with the complication that you're not allowed to scream

• Members

I know this might sound strange, but maybe there's a lot of earwax in your ear.

I used to have bad hearing until I stopped using Q-tips and use ear wax drops (make sure to follow directions. you can't use it every day. maybe 4 days in a row).

The Q-tips were just pushing my earwax further behind and it got to a point where hearing was difficult for me.

You really shouldn't scream louder to compensate.

As far as books, there is something called "The Complete Vocal Workout" by Roger Kain. The exercises are geared towards rock music with an emphasis on singing loudly(a lot of the exercises require you to sing very loud). I think I read somewhere in his book that he advocates practicing loud exercises before working on the subtler delicate exercises . I'm still very early in my voice training so I can't really comment on how effective it is.

• Members

You're not helping Boom. Singing from stomach is an obsolete visualization technique, and is only thrown about by people who don't understand the learning process.

Yea.

Every vocal coach I come across, proper breathing is a key point. Voice teachers don't understand the learning process?

Back to the OP, yes resonance will give you perceived "loudness", which will make your voice cut through. Singing from your diaphragm and using your resonators will make your voice that much more powerful. I still suggest IEMs as well...

• Members

you've been having this problem for 15 years and have yet to come to the realization that this is exactly the reason that god made Crown power? turn it up!!!

Yeah, good point! We did a festival show last week and I had told the sound man (who I know and have worked with a lot) that I needed extra power and he gave it to me. It was great! I could actually do inflections and things with the words that are impossible when your main goal is just to be able to sing loud enough to hear yourself.

Archived